Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,220 Members 37,438 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] System runs but recovery won't start. neither cwm nor twrp.

Tip us?

Argysh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sign [Q] System runs but recovery won't start. neither cwm nor twrp.

There's plenty of threads about not being able to get into recovery anymore but none of the descriptions quite suited my problem nor did the proposed solutions help me.

Here's my situation:
My phone boots without problems and is usable, just getting into recovery doesn't work. So this is not the "HELP!!! FAST!!!!111!"-kind of topic, I got time.
I was runing ARHD for a little more than a year now without any problems and decided it's time to updgrade to the current version.
So trying to enter the recovery mode for the first time again I got the white loading screen and nothing happens within my span of patience (~10min). Weird, it worked well when i installed arhd and i haven't changed anything on this level ever since ...

Remembering how that helped last time I erased the cache with fastboot and tried again. didn't help.

Then I tried to flashed the newest CWM (specific version for M7) with fastboot and it results in an error:
sending 'recovery' (9184 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.229s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Format partition SOS done
FAILED (remote: err = 0xa)
finished. total time: 1.460s
trying the same with the most up to date and older versions of twrp, cwm and philz. i'll always get this error and the symptoms of booting into recovery (after wiping the cache) are still the same in some cases he would just reboot back to hboot when choosing recovery there.

Since this didn't seem to work i tried installing both twrp and cwm with cwm's Rom manager app. It claims to have flashed the recovery but it's still the same result.

Trying to flash with any of the toolkits (hasoon's and squabbi's) shouldn't result in any difference since it just utilizes fastboot commands.. tried it nonetheless and jep, same error as above.

So last Idea I had was to get a suitable RUU and go back to stock.
I relocked the phone, went to oem rebootRUU, waited for the black screen an tried to flash the zip. this is the result:
fastboot flash zip RUU.zip
sending 'zip' (1012366 KB)...
FAILED (remote: Heap not enough)
finished. total time: 0.007s
so I guess there's not enough space here... but where exatcly?
I've unlocked it again, bootet it and had a look at t current levels of free space. Which are 2.04Gb for apps and 12.27GB on the main storage. shouldn't that be enough to allocate a sufficient amount?
What else might cause this error? or am i heading in the completely wrong direction?
Any suggestions how I can get back to working recovery would be highly appreciated.

thanks for listening

fyi 'getvar all' gives:
fastboot devices
HT23PW116936 fastboot
fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5a
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.72.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 5.1204.163U2.31
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.17.111.3
(bootloader) serialno: HT23PW116936
(bootloader) imei: 359188041709346
(bootloader) product: endeavoru
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-T30S
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4610000
(bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB101
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3706mV
(bootloader) devpower: 17
(bootloader) partition-layout: None
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: None
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 2
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Sarting
Old
(Last edited by Sarting; 29th July 2014 at 04:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
The only discrepancy i could see was the recovery you're using.
If you want to flash RUU, you'll need the stock recovery, not the TWRP or CWM or whatever.

I had this happen to me last week. I spent countless hours on this just to find that the stock recovery fixed the issue of RUU.
Just make sure you relock the device after, then run the RUU.

Edit1: just to clarify, when i say 'run the RUU', i meant the EXE version of it. Of course it will probably wipe everything. But the device needs to be in fastboot USB during this process. (as opposed to adb)
And here's the stock one i happen to have on my machine. Probably need to copy and paste.
dl.dropbox.com/u/50607529/recovery_tmobile.img

Fain11
Old
(Last edited by Fain11; 29th July 2014 at 05:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argysh View Post
There's plenty of threads about not being able to get into recovery anymore but none of the descriptions quite suited my problem nor did the proposed solutions help me.

Here's my situation:
My phone boots without problems and is usable, just getting into recovery doesn't work. So this is not the "HELP!!! FAST!!!!111!"-kind of topic, I got time.
I was runing ARHD for a little more than a year now without any problems and decided it's time to updgrade to the current version.
So trying to enter the recovery mode for the first time again I got the white loading screen and nothing happens within my span of patience (~10min). Weird, it worked well when i installed arhd and i haven't changed anything on this level ever since ...

Remembering how that helped last time I erased the cache with fastboot and tried again. didn't help.

Then I tried to flashed the newest CWM (specific version for M7) with fastboot and it results in an error:
sending 'recovery' (9184 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.229s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Format partition SOS done
FAILED (remote: err = 0xa)
finished. total time: 1.460s
trying the same with the most up to date and older versions of twrp, cwm and philz. i'll always get this error and the symptoms of booting into recovery (after wiping the cache) are still the same in some cases he would just reboot back to hboot when choosing recovery there.

Since this didn't seem to work i tried installing both twrp and cwm with cwm's Rom manager app. It claims to have flashed the recovery but it's still the same result.

Trying to flash with any of the toolkits (hasoon's and squabbi's) shouldn't result in any difference since it just utilizes fastboot commands.. tried it nonetheless and jep, same error as above.

So last Idea I had was to get a suitable RUU and go back to stock.
I relocked the phone, went to oem rebootRUU, waited for the black screen an tried to flash the zip. this is the result:
fastboot flash zip RUU.zip
sending 'zip' (1012366 KB)...
FAILED (remote: Heap not enough)
finished. total time: 0.007s
so I guess there's not enough space here... but where exatcly?
I've unlocked it again, bootet it and had a look at t current levels of free space. Which are 2.04Gb for apps and 12.27GB on the main storage. shouldn't that be enough to allocate a sufficient amount?
What else might cause this error? or am i heading in the completely wrong direction?
Any suggestions how I can get back to working recovery would be highly appreciated.

thanks for listening

fyi 'getvar all' gives:
fastboot devices
HT23PW116936 fastboot
fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5a
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.72.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 5.1204.163U2.31
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.17.111.3
(bootloader) serialno: HT23PW116936
(bootloader) imei: 359188041709346
(bootloader) product: endeavoru
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-T30S
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4610000
(bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB101
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3706mV
(bootloader) devpower: 17
(bootloader) partition-layout: None
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: None
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 2
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
U have an "endeavoru" HTC One X, hope u do not try to flash a M7 HTC One recovery?
Try get help in the HTC One X section, all recoveries from here are for HTC One.

Try flashing a recovery from your device's forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-x
Tags
0x2, heap not enough, m7u, recovery, t-mob101