Safest way to clear/free-up space on Internal Storage/SD Card

OP sb09

4th September 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

363 posts
More
Hi All,

Looking for some assistance please; I'm planning to trade-in my HTC One for an upgrade to a HTC One M8 most probably. Retailer is happy to accept the phone with a custom rom on it, so it saves me the bother of returning fully to stock. Got latest ARHD rom onboard but still S-On and original firmware.

Want to free up as much of the Internal Storage/SD Card as possible before handing it over (we got them with 25Gb available out of the 32Gb didn't we), but afraid to hit factory reset in recovery in case it clears the entire storage including recovery files/partition etc and rom image etc, and therefore wont reboot properly.

What's the cleanest and safest way to maximize available space without losing key data/files please? All thoughts welcomed/gratefully received!
4th September 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #2  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,166

4,262 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb09

Hi All,

Looking for some assistance please; I'm planning to trade-in my HTC One for an upgrade to a HTC One M8 most probably. Retailer is happy to accept the phone with a custom rom on it, so it saves me the bother of returning fully to stock. Got latest ARHD rom onboard but still S-On and original firmware.

Want to free up as much of the Internal Storage/SD Card as possible before handing it over (we got them with 25Gb available out of the 32Gb didn't we), but afraid to hit factory reset in recovery in case it clears the entire storage including recovery files/partition etc and rom image etc, and therefore wont reboot properly.

What's the cleanest and safest way to maximize available space without losing key data/files please? All thoughts welcomed/gratefully received!

in your custom recovery choose wipe / and check everything but system ... that will wipe everything and the phone will still bootup and work fine
The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #3  
Flag Banglore
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
More
Use app like App2Sd or Link2Sd or system app remover. May be it will help to free up space by uninatalling unwanted apps or by movibg it to sdcard..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanes Joseph For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

in your custom recovery choose wipe / and check everything but system ... that will wipe everything and the phone will still bootup and work fine

Hi, many thanks for your response! So I'm using TWRP 2.6.3.4 and options in wipe include the usual Dalvik, cache and data etc plus Internal Memory and System, so your saying I can check internal memory but not system and all will be well? Wont I need to put TWRP and Rob image files (and any others) back on afterwards? Thanks.
4th September 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #5  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,166

4,262 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb09

Hi, many thanks for your response! So I'm using TWRP 2.6.3.4 and options in wipe include the usual Dalvik, cache and data etc plus Internal Memory and System, so your saying I can check internal memory but not system and all will be well? Wont I need to put TWRP and Rob image files (and any others) back on afterwards? Thanks.

it won't erase your recovery or system .. that's all that's needed to boot the phone
The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

it won't erase your recovery or system .. that's all that's needed to boot the phone

Great, that's what I'll do then! Thank you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread