Stuck in bootloop, can't enter Bootloader after unlock

Search This thread

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
Hi XDA,

I currently have an issue with my One, I'm stuck at the white HTC-screen where it says "powered by android" at the bottom, I can't get into the bootloader, no matter what I try (I've tried every combination there is, multiple times) the PC detects an Android ADB Interface, but it says "unauthorized".

This happened after I unlocked my bootloader regularly via the HTC Dev-method.

If I type "adb reboot bootloader" into a command prompt, it says "error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device." but there is nothing on my screen other than the splash-logo.

Is there anything I could do?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

edit:

I just noticed that the softkeys don't flash when I hold down the power-button, not sure if this helps you determine the error.

Last edited:

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
Hi XDA,

I currently have an issue with my One, I'm stuck at the white HTC-screen where it says "powered by android" at the bottom, I can't get into the bootloader, no matter what I try (I've tried every combination there is, multiple times) the PC detects an Android ADB Interface, but it says "unauthorized".

This happened after I unlocked my bootloader regularly via the HTC Dev-method.

If I type "adb reboot bootloader" into a command prompt, it says "error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device." but there is nothing on my screen other than the splash-logo.

Is there anything I could do?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

edit:

I just noticed that the softkeys don't flash when I hold down the power-button, not sure if this helps you determine the error.
This is a long shot, try Ubuntu/Linux. You can boot into it without installing Linux on your computer and it handles ADB & Fastboot more smoothly. Read and follow FAQ Q5, you must install Ubuntu 12.04 for these procedures to work. If you install the newest version, there are several more steps. Just scroll down the first page and near the bottom there is a link to older versions. If you get fastboot working, then I would try a fastboot erase cache first with fastboot reboot to see if the problem is resolved. If that didn't work then try to get back to bootloader and select factory reset.

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
This is a long shot, try Ubuntu/Linux. You can boot into it without installing Linux on your computer and it handles ADB & Fastboot more smoothly. Read and follow FAQ Q5, you must install Ubuntu 12.04 for these procedures to work. If you install the newest version, there are several more steps. Just scroll down the first page and near the bottom there is a link to older versions. If you get fastboot working, then I would try a fastboot erase cache first with fastboot reboot to see if the problem is resolved. If that didn't work then try to get back to bootloader and select factory reset.

The problem is that I can't enter the bootloader, so Fastboot won't work.

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
The problem is that I can't enter the bootloader, so Fastboot won't work.
The other problem is that your phone is not recognized by Windows. If Ubuntu recognizes your phone, then you may be able to use the adb reboot bootloader command. It is a shot in the dark but if it works then great, if not you are in the same place you are now.

If you are S-OFF then try to find a RUU to run, if you are S-ON then you can not run a RUU with an unlocked bootloader.

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
The other problem is that your phone is not recognized by Windows. If Ubuntu recognizes your phone, then you may be able to use the adb reboot bootloader command. It is a shot in the dark but if it works then great, if not you are in the same place you are now.

If you are S-OFF then try to find a RUU to run, if you are S-ON then you can not run a RUU with an unlocked bootloader.

I don't think using Ubuntu will resolve the "unauthorized"-issue, but It's worth a try, thanks!

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
Has it been stuck at that white screen all this time? You may need to wait until the battery dies and see if it will reboot properly from there.

I left it there for about an hour, no change.

There also isn't anything to boot into, I wiped /system/ and /data/ before unlocking the bootloader.
I was trying to get S-Off and it didn't work with CyanogenMod, so I locked the bootloader and tried to install an RUU and of course, that doesn't work if you don't have S-Off, so I wanted to unlock it again and install a sense based ROM after that, but that's where I got stuck in this bootloop.
In retrospect, it probably was really stupid to wipe those partitions before. Not sure what I was thinking at the time :/

I'll try Ubuntu tomorrow and I'll try it with a brighter light, maybe that works. Otherwise I just have to send it in. Worst that could happen is that they somehow get into the bootloader and discover that it says Tampered, but at that point they can just send it back and with a working bootloader I can fix it myself.

iElvis

May 24, 2012
Modville
OnePlus 9 Pro
I left it there for about an hour, no change.

There also isn't anything to boot into, I wiped /system/ and /data/ before unlocking the bootloader.
I was trying to get S-Off and it didn't work with CyanogenMod, so I locked the bootloader and tried to install an RUU and of course, that doesn't work if you don't have S-Off, so I wanted to unlock it again and install a sense based ROM after that, but that's where I got stuck in this bootloop.
In retrospect, it probably was really stupid to wipe those partitions before. Not sure what I was thinking at the time :/

I'll try Ubuntu tomorrow and I'll try it with a brighter light, maybe that works. Otherwise I just have to send it in. Worst that could happen is that they somehow get into the bootloader and discover that it says Tampered, but at that point they can just send it back and with a working bootloader I can fix it myself.

Sorry, I was thinking that if you ran it down, then plugged it in, you might be able to get into the bootloader.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Battery's full right now, do you think it will get empty over night?

hold the power plus volume down for about 20 seconds when the phone shuts off and comes back on continue holding the buttons till it goes off for a second time. Then let go of power and continue to hold volume down. This has got me into the bootloader many time's. Do this in a well lit room or under a lamp.

iElvis

May 24, 2012
Modville
OnePlus 9 Pro
Battery's full right now, do you think it will get empty over night?

If it's stuck on the white screen, yeah that should run it down pretty quickly.

But I'm thinking now this might be a bit risky. It will stay on until the battery dies completely instead of shutting down properly. Normally, the system will shut down with a little bit of charge left because if the battery goes completely dead, it may not be able to restart.

I'd try your other ideas first, and if you're ready to return it, give this a shot.

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
hold the power plus volume down for about 20 seconds when the phone shuts off and comes back on continue holding the buttons till it goes off for a second time. Then let go of power and continue to hold volume down. This has got me into the bootloader many time's. Do this in a well lit room or under a lamp.

If I release the power-button when the screen turns black the second time, it just stays off.

It's almost as if the volume-buttons aren't recognized at all :/
@iElvis okay then that'll be my last resort.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
If I release the power-button when the screen turns black the second time, it just stays off.

It's almost as if the volume-buttons aren't recognized at all :/

@iElvis okay then that'll be my last resort.

well running the battery dead will not be any different than the shutdown you just did. did you continue to hold volume down and hit the power again after the shut down ? is the usb plugged in this hole time or no?

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
well running the battery dead will not be any different than the shutdown you just did. did you continue to hold volume down and hit the power again after the shut down ?

Yep, I held the button all the time, tried waiting longer and everything, I have already played around with combinations a fair bit before posting this, nothing seemed to work.

Why can't HTC have something like USB Jigs? :/ It's so convenient to just plug this thing in and be in download-mode, regardless how f*cked up your software is.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Yep, I held the button all the time, tried waiting longer and everything, I have already played around with combinations a fair bit before posting this, nothing seemed to work.

Why can't HTC have something like USB Jigs? :/ It's so convenient to just plug this thing in and be in download-mode, regardless how f*cked up your software is.

ok I wish you luck

HeavyHDx

Jun 27, 2013
Thanks :) I just got this thing back from a 2 week repair because the volume-buttons wouldn't work, barely had it a day and now I can send it back again :( My own fault, but still annoying...

Update:

The place where I sent it to just messaged me this:

http://imgur.com/npdyLgO

I'm curious, how did they manage to get the bootloader working again? Is there another method for getting into the bootloader, other than pressing the buttons?

They want 218€ for fixing it (lol) so I obviously told them to send it back without fixing it, after all I can do that myself if the bootloader works.

Edit:

just got it back, Bootloader works now.

Last edited: