Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,514 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck on Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery

Tip us?
 
Perez92
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Question [Q] Stuck on Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery

Hi,

I'm in desperate need of some help and am not sure what to do. My HTC One m7 got stuck in Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery after the latest update. It will keep rebooting back into Simple Recovery. Is there any way to get my phone back either to stock or to Cyanogenmod?

I always just left it on Cyanogenmod so I'm not very familiar with flashing or other programs. If anyone has any advice, could you please point me to the correct tutorials and downloads?

I am at a complete loss with how to get my phone to its original state.
 
majmoz
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 160
Posts: 631
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez92 View Post
Hi,

I'm in desperate need of some help and am not sure what to do. My HTC One m7 got stuck in Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery after the latest update. It will keep rebooting back into Simple Recovery. Is there any way to get my phone back either to stock or to Cyanogenmod?

I always just left it on Cyanogenmod so I'm not very familiar with flashing or other programs. If anyone has any advice, could you please point me to the correct tutorials and downloads?

I am at a complete loss with how to get my phone to its original state.
Follow this nkk71's Return to 100% Stock Guide!
 
Perez92
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
Thank you for the response, however my biggest issue is getting out of simple recovery. How do I install a new recovery, such as TWRP or CWM at the simple recovery screen and how do I flash the latest cyanogenmod rom?
 
majmoz
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 160
Posts: 631
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez92 View Post
Thank you for the response, however my biggest issue is getting out of simple recovery. How do I install a new recovery, such as TWRP or CWM at the simple recovery screen and how do I flash the latest cyanogenmod rom?
You will have to flash CWM recovery in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB. You can get the recovery from http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager find your phone then download the recovery.
In bootloader/FASTBOOT USB, flash CWM recovery (either rename the file CWM.img or type the whole name in place of CWM):
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Perez92
Old
(Last edited by Perez92; 10th August 2014 at 07:29 PM.)
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
You will have to flash CWM recovery in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB. You can get the recovery from http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager find your phone then download the recovery.
In bootloader/FASTBOOT USB, flash CWM recovery (either rename the file CWM.img or type the whole name in place of CWM):
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader
Thank you for replying.

So from what I'm understanding is that I will need to use ADB to sideload the recovery onto my phone, correct?

I'm not sure what the bootloader/FASTBOOT USB you refer to, I feel like I need it to be ELI5. My brain is melting when trying to read this.

P.S. I am STUCK in Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery. I am not able to power down the device or get to any other screen.
 
majmoz
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 160
Posts: 631
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez92 View Post
Thank you for replying.

So from what I'm understanding is that I will need to use ADB to sideload the recovery onto my phone, correct?

I'm not sure what the bootloader/FASTBOOT USB you refer to, I feel like I need it to be ELI5. My brain is melting when trying to read this.
No, you can not load the recovery with sideload. Have ADB & Fastboot installed on your computer, place the recovery file in the same folder and connect your phone to the computer.
Open a command window in the folder where ADB & fastboot reside.
Type: adb reboot bootloader
When the screen on your phone shows the white bootloader screen in blue will be FASTBOOT USB
Type one line at a time waiting until the cmd screen states OK or something similiar:
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader


Here is a guide on fastboot commands.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Perez92
Old
(Last edited by Perez92; 11th August 2014 at 07:51 AM.)
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
No, you can not load the recovery with sideload. Have ADB & Fastboot installed on your computer, place the recovery file in the same folder and connect your phone to the computer.
Open a command window in the folder where ADB & fastboot reside.
Type: adb reboot bootloader
When the screen on your phone shows the white bootloader screen in blue will be FASTBOOT USB
Type one line at a time waiting until the cmd screen states OK or something similiar:
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader


Here is a guide on fastboot commands.
So I was able to get my device past the first prompt. I now see the white bootloader screen and it does say "FASTBOOT USB". I downloaded the latest TWRP and placed it in the same folder as ADB and Fastboot. I did the second command to flash it, however I keep getting the error "error: cannot open 'TWRP.img'. Any idea as to what I could be doing wrong?
 
Perez92
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
No, you can not load the recovery with sideload. Have ADB & Fastboot installed on your computer, place the recovery file in the same folder and connect your phone to the computer.
Open a command window in the folder where ADB & fastboot reside.
Type: adb reboot bootloader
When the screen on your phone shows the white bootloader screen in blue will be FASTBOOT USB
Type one line at a time waiting until the cmd screen states OK or something similiar:
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader


Here is a guide on fastboot commands.
Got it to work. Used adb to get into fastboot. Then opened up the CM installer and let it redownload cyanogenmod onto my phone.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Learn How to Make a Live Wallpaper all by Yourself

Stillimages can bebeautiful, but some of you prefer to see animations on your screens. … more

Google Play Services Updated to Version 6.1

In addition to Android operating system proper, Google is focusing hard on giving the developers … more

CyanogenMod 11 M10 Available for Supported Devices

Summer vacation isover for most students out there, and it’s the time to get back to … more

XDA Forums Added for the First Batch of Android One Devices!

Just yesterday, we talked about the highly anticipated launch of the first batch … more