Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Turning S-On Again with Custom Recovery

OP mabaqi

16th August 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I own a HTC One M7 UL with KitKat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6 installed. I installed TWRP 2.7.1 custom recovery on it and after that I turned S-Off and removed the Tempered flag and then locked the bootloader but let custom recovery stay there. Can I turn S-On back with custom recovery installed without bricking my phone.

HTC One M7 UL
Stock ROM KitKat 4.4.2 with HTC Sense 6
Stock Boot
Stock Hboot v 1.57
Custom Recovery TWRP 2.7.1
Last edited by mabaqi; 16th August 2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typo corrections and some addition
16th August 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 344

1,175 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaqi

I own a HTC One M7 UL with KitKat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6 installed. I installed TWRP 2.7.1 custom recovery on it and after that I turned S-Off and removed the Tempered flag and then locked the bootloader but let custom recovery stay there. Can I turn S-On back with custom recovery installed without bricking my phone.

HTC One M7 UL
Stock ROM KitKat 4.4.2 with HTC Sense 6
Stock Boot
Stock Hboot v 1.57
Custom Recovery TWRP 2.7.1

Yes, you can have a custom recovery and S-ON. However, unless you are returning the phone for warranty reasons the consensus is that you should remain S-OFF. It is becoming more difficult to get S-OFF with the higher hboot like you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thank you majmoz for your support,I really appreciate your early response. I am a new user on this platform and I really appreciate this forum and people like you helping others.

I am on Hboot v 1.57 and used Firewater to S-Off it. Even if I S-On again, wont I be able to use Firewater to S-Off again anytime I want to, This will make me more secure as I may save myself from bad flashes and etc.

Once more, thank you for your support.
17th August 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz

Yes, you can have a custom recovery and S-ON. However, unless you are returning the phone for warranty reasons the consensus is that you should remain S-OFF. It is becoming more difficult to get S-OFF with the higher hboot like you have.

Thank you majmoz for your support,I really appreciate your early response. I am a new user on this platform and I really appreciate this forum and people like you helping others.

I am on Hboot v 1.57 and used Firewater to S-Off it. Even if I S-On again, wont I be able to use Firewater to S-Off again anytime I want to, This will make me more secure as I may save myself from bad flashes and etc.

17th August 2014, 03:07 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 344

1,175 posts
More
Quote:

Yes, you are right if everything remained the same you could S-Off again. And there are a couple of paid options to S-OFF. S-ON will not prevent you from bad flashes or soft-bricks. You can look through the Q&A section and see how many of the questions are from people with S-ON! With S-OFF, you just need to be more diligent, check the source, check MD5, read and re-read the OP and don't do anything that you are uncomfortable doing. Good luck and happy flashing!
17th August 2014, 06:31 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 434

1,788 posts
Don't S-On.

EVER.

Just don't
17th August 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #7  
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,280

3,303 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I will also recommend to stay S-OFF. Turn back to S-ON only if you must send the phone for warranty repair, after restoring it to 100% stock.
17th August 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thank you guys. I wont S-On my device again but I all I needed to know was that turning S-On with custom recovery bricks the device or not. And with help of you guys I know that it doesn't.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread