Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 38,635 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Turning S-On Again with Custom Recovery

Tip us?

mabaqi
Old
(Last edited by mabaqi; 16th August 2014 at 10:35 PM.) Reason: Typo corrections and some addition
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Turning S-On Again with Custom Recovery

I own a HTC One M7 UL with KitKat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6 installed. I installed TWRP 2.7.1 custom recovery on it and after that I turned S-Off and removed the Tempered flag and then locked the bootloader but let custom recovery stay there. Can I turn S-On back with custom recovery installed without bricking my phone.

HTC One M7 UL
Stock ROM KitKat 4.4.2 with HTC Sense 6
Stock Boot
Stock Hboot v 1.57
Custom Recovery TWRP 2.7.1

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaqi View Post
I own a HTC One M7 UL with KitKat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6 installed. I installed TWRP 2.7.1 custom recovery on it and after that I turned S-Off and removed the Tempered flag and then locked the bootloader but let custom recovery stay there. Can I turn S-On back with custom recovery installed without bricking my phone.

HTC One M7 UL
Stock ROM KitKat 4.4.2 with HTC Sense 6
Stock Boot
Stock Hboot v 1.57
Custom Recovery TWRP 2.7.1
Yes, you can have a custom recovery and S-ON. However, unless you are returning the phone for warranty reasons the consensus is that you should remain S-OFF. It is becoming more difficult to get S-OFF with the higher hboot like you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mabaqi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you majmoz for your support,I really appreciate your early response. I am a new user on this platform and I really appreciate this forum and people like you helping others.

I am on Hboot v 1.57 and used Firewater to S-Off it. Even if I S-On again, wont I be able to use Firewater to S-Off again anytime I want to, This will make me more secure as I may save myself from bad flashes and etc.

Once more, thank you for your support.

mabaqi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
Yes, you can have a custom recovery and S-ON. However, unless you are returning the phone for warranty reasons the consensus is that you should remain S-OFF. It is becoming more difficult to get S-OFF with the higher hboot like you have.
Thank you majmoz for your support,I really appreciate your early response. I am a new user on this platform and I really appreciate this forum and people like you helping others.

I am on Hboot v 1.57 and used Firewater to S-Off it. Even if I S-On again, wont I be able to use Firewater to S-Off again anytime I want to, This will make me more secure as I may save myself from bad flashes and etc.

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:

Yes, you are right if everything remained the same you could S-Off again. And there are a couple of paid options to S-OFF. S-ON will not prevent you from bad flashes or soft-bricks. You can look through the Q&A section and see how many of the questions are from people with S-ON! With S-OFF, you just need to be more diligent, check the source, check MD5, read and re-read the OP and don't do anything that you are uncomfortable doing. Good luck and happy flashing!

SaHiLzZ
Old
Thanks Meter 417
Don't S-On.

EVER.

Just don't

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 1,089

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

I will also recommend to stay S-OFF. Turn back to S-ON only if you must send the phone for warranty repair, after restoring it to 100% stock.
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

mabaqi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you guys. I wont S-On my device again but I all I needed to know was that turning S-On with custom recovery bricks the device or not. And with help of you guys I know that it doesn't.