[KERNEL 3.4][CM12] Ivanichs CM12 Kernel OVERCLOCKED By Little Lerroyy [1/8/15]

Search This thread

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Hey thanks for testing! The only thing I did differently was I changed the fstab file to the original. Since I am using hinxnz fstab for my sd card. Ill look at it when I get home.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA Free mobile app

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Hi little_lerroyy, I downloaded the latest overclocked boot.img (6th April), but I am getting a boot loop after fastboot flashing it. I notice this one is about 1500k smaller than the previous one (8th March), could there be something wrong with the upload? I downloaded it twice, but got the same trouble.

By the way this work is awesome! :D

I did the thermal.conf fix and am using ivanich' cm12.1-20150404, it boots ok with the same thermal.conf I'm using, but with the new boot.img it stays on the white htc screen then just power cycles (or whatever).

Sensation XE using 4EXT Recovery v1.0.0.6_RC3

Cheers!

Hey i checked the file size and is normal, i flashed the image in question and it did pass the HTC logo and the cyanogen mod logo came up, did you get this far or did you just loop at the HTC screen only? I've repacked the image again so see if this makes any difference. The only thing i did differently is a happend to leave an old fstab file in the ramdisk. however it was renamed so i didnt think it would make a difference. Give it a go and see if you have any luck

Cheers

**Edit**
I was just thinking, if you have the same issues again, the next thing i can put it down too is the CPU undervolt i did. I think some devices can and can't handle the drop for certain frequencies. at bootup the cpus are both set at 1.512GHz. The new VCore I set for that frequency is 1.075, while the original VCore was set to 1.175. If this is the case i will post up a kernel without UV to test. You can see the voltage drop i applied to the cpu frequencies on this link https://github.com/littlelerroyy/an...mmit/7f62c6148fcb1f93a3c497acfc0ba036e5579826

Last edited:

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008
Hey i checked the file size and is normal, i flashed the image in question and it did pass the HTC logo and the cyanogen mod logo came up, did you get this far or did you just loop at the HTC screen only?

I didn't get to the cyanogenmod logo, it just stayed in the white htc screen and reboot looped.

I downloaded your most recent boot.img and tried that one. This time it just stayed at the white screen but didn't boot-loop. I left it about 6-7 minutes.

As an experiment, I loaded your original boot.img (from March 8th) and it booted into cyanogenmod, but as expected it was a mismatch and CM eventually went into a soft boot-loop of sorts after booting android, but it did get way past the white htc screen, so maybe that info is of use.

I thought it might have been the themald.conf I had, so I used the exact version you posted and retried (I got the same results):
April 6 version > htc white screen bootloop - doesn't get to CMod logo..
April 8 version > stuck on htc white screen doesn't reboot.

I was just thinking, if you have the same issues again, the next thing i can put it down too is the CPU undervolt i did. I think some devices can and can't handle the drop for certain frequencies. at bootup the cpus are both set at 1.512GHz. The new VCore I set for that frequency is 1.075, while the original VCore was set to 1.175. If this is the case i will post up a kernel without UV to test.

It's pot luck once you go past standard ratings. :cool: I messed with voltage drops when I was on ViperS ROMs. From memory I dropped .03ish across all frequencies without any issues and a bit less battery drain, but it could have bee a placebo effect. :D.

That std voltage version is starting to look good!

Cheers.

Reactions: little_lerroyy

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
I didn't get to the cyanogenmod logo, it just stayed in the white htc screen and reboot looped.

I downloaded your most recent boot.img and tried that one. This time it just stayed at the white screen but didn't boot-loop. I left it about 6-7 minutes.

As an experiment, I loaded your original boot.img (from March 8th) and it booted into cyanogenmod, but as expected it was a mismatch and CM eventually went into a soft boot-loop of sorts after booting android, but it did get way past the white htc screen, so maybe that info is of use.

I thought it might have been the themald.conf I had, so I used the exact version you posted and retried (I got the same results):
April 6 version > htc white screen bootloop - doesn't get to CMod logo..
April 8 version > stuck on htc white screen doesn't reboot.

It's pot luck once you go past standard ratings. :cool: I messed with voltage drops when I was on ViperS ROMs. From memory I dropped .03ish across all frequencies without any issues and a bit less battery drain, but it could have bee a placebo effect. :D.

That std voltage version is starting to look good!

Cheers.
Looks like its highly likely the voltages. Both images work fine on my device. I must have one of those silicon lottery chips. Well kinda. I did notice that in the OC kernel of sultanxda the voltages are extremely generous compared to what i have done.
i will recompile w/ standard voltages within the hour or two stay tuned.

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Uploaded new image of with the original voltage table i had before the UV. I havent published to github, just waiting to see what you have to say. I've also dropped the read_ahead_kb for both internel and external storage to 0kb. Im finding even better performance on my device!
Cheers.

Last edited:

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
+1 for flashable zip
--
definitely will try later for your updated rom
btw, can you add also possibility for undervolting?

sorry for the delayed reply, i accidentally skipped your message. I will make flashable kernel zip, I will google how to do this lol. As for undervolting, are you taking about CPU undervolting or panel undervolting like sultan has included in his kernels? I actually planned to give a go of including sebastionFM's voltage interface for cpu frequencies, so you can change them while running android. I will give this a go after i fix up bugs with the current kernel.

Reactions: phan_tom

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008
Uploaded new image of with the original voltage table i had before the UV. I havent published to github, just waiting to see what you have to say. I've also dropped the read_ahead_kb for both internel and external storage to 0kb. Im finding even better performance on my device!
Cheers.

Hussah! This version Works!! :D

I had a bit of a play around on my device to see if I could notice a speed increase on moving data, but I've never measured it before, so I couldn't really tell.

I'm using Kernel Aduitor (app) to mess with some of the kernel innards, it reports read ahead as 0. Unfortunately it doesn't deal with voltages.

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Hussah! This version Works!! :D

I had a bit of a play around on my device to see if I could notice a speed increase on moving data, but I've never measured it before, so I couldn't really tell.

I'm using Kernel Aduitor (app) to mess with some of the kernel innards, it reports read ahead as 0. Unfortunately it doesn't deal with voltages.

Ahh nice! Voltages were too lean :p yeah this kernel doesnt have a vcore interface, otherwise it would show up in that app. I use the app as well, its really awesome. as for the read ahead. I didnt base my findings off benchmarks, i just found the rom more snappier after reducing the number, apps seemed to load just slightly quicker, and certain elements that needed to be loaded from storage called up slightly quicker. How do you find the general performance of the kernel? Any noticible improvements or not really?

Reactions: cuttlefish

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008
Ahh nice! Voltages were too lean :p yeah this kernel doesnt have a vcore interface, otherwise it would show up in that app. I use the app as well, its really awesome. as for the read ahead. I didnt base my findings off benchmarks, i just found the rom more snappier after reducing the number, apps seemed to load just slightly quicker, and certain elements that needed to be loaded from storage called up slightly quicker. How do you find the general performance of the kernel? Any noticible improvements or not really?

The interface is a bit jerky sometimes, but that could be because I recently booted it with a new kernel from before.

I just loaded Google Maps - which can make my phone chug till I freak out and can overheat it and cause it to reboot, but it seems quicker under this kernel. I didn't have it already loaded, so unless I somehow ended up with an old cache set for it on there somewhere - or I had a microsleep! It's quicker. Real world tests will tell though. It seems to suddenly jump to where it needs to be at times - if you know what I mean.

I think I'll spend some time investigating benchmarking software.

phan_tom

Oct 3, 2010
Batam
sorry for the delayed reply, i accidentally skipped your message. I will make flashable kernel zip, I will google how to do this lol. As for undervolting, are you taking about CPU undervolting or panel undervolting like sultan has included in his kernels? I actually planned to give a go of including sebastionFM's voltage interface for cpu frequencies, so you can change them while running android. I will give this a go after i fix up bugs with the current kernel.

Yup you are right,
better if we can change CPU undervolting like SebastianFM,
so during rom running we can set ourself for undervolting value...

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008
OK, so I've been checking out benchmarking software, and I settled on Vellamo as my top choice for testing.

It's not that straight-forward quantifying changes in governor and also the effect of thermald.conf causing the CPU to throttle back under heat conditions needs to be taken into account. sysbench test shows a noticeable improvement result, this is due mostly to the governor rules I'd say.

A test that reflects changes to read-ahead cache isn't available as far as I can find in any benchmarking app. None of the Vellamo tests register any change compared to the Ivanich std kernel. They do test IO speed, but they are more raw speed tests and I don't know if they use system calls (and hence cache), or if they are more low-level than that.

I do think having 0 cache is a radical mod! :cool:

I've been using this kernel as my daily driver for a few days now with CPU overclocked to 1620 and all other settings as default. Modest, but stable. Anything above that and I start to get freeze-reboots. I even took a 2 hour drive with maps running and it didn't chug too much and definitely didn't overheat! :victory:

Nice work Little_Lerroy.

I agree with phan_tom that if we could set our own voltages we could then start to really push higher frequencies that are stable for each individual pyramid.

I've been also looking at doing an aroma script that installs this kernel as well as removes some bloatware from the CM12.1 rom such as wallpapers etc... (If your cool with that Little_Lerroyy and Ivanich) It will be my first script!! I'm on a massive learning curve ATM. So far I have just read some tutorials I found on XDA.

:D

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Hi mate, thanks for your input. Its funny cause I wanted someone to make a flashable zip for me cause I'm lazy! Haha. Well as for the custom voltages I managed to get it working earlier this week! I'm testing it out using kernel auditur and it does effect voltages. I will post boot IMG tonight. If you can make that script it would be awesome. Thanks. I've also drop more read ahead values for all partitions and have noticed a even better improvement!

cheers.

Reactions: phan_tom

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008
No worries. I'll start pulling in what I've learned and see what I come up with.
I look forward to trying the new kernel. :cool:

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008

Thanks little_lerroyy. I've been testing it for only a few minutes. I undervoltaged all frequencies by .25 (one click) using kernel arduitor and pushed it to 1860MHz and it crashed almost immediately. :D

Of course I pushed it too far first test!! (still using my orig thermald.conf which is set at 1620000 for 0 degrees).

Anyway, it seems like its probably stable enough without messing with the voltages. Will report back more later.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

make a flashable zip. it's been easy to get install... tnx

Hey a.l.c.h.e.m.i.s.t,

I have been working on an installable zip for little_lerroyy's kernel. It's a bit buggy (the script I mean :rolleyes:).

Errors are:

Warning: No File_contexts
Don't know yet what it means - Occurs when updater_script starts - though it doesn't seem to affect what I am trying to do with the script. (cant be sure though).

format: no mtd partition named "boot"
so I'm not sure if the script is actually formatting the boot partition before loading the image onto the partition. - doesn't seem to be an issue for me but testing has been light.

I AM NOOB! :laugh: I have not found any info yet that makes it clear I am doing the right thing with regards to above. I've been following other peoples work and clobbing bits together (devs have been thanked on relevant posts).

This script also does not check the device type before messing with the boot partition so DO NOT USE IT on anything other than an HTC Sensation or Sensation XE - reflash ivanich's CM12.1 ROM to fix any damage this script might do to your device.

The script attempts to format the boot partition, loads selected image into temp, flashes temp image and deletes temp image.

If anyone can offer any help with the above, let me know. Otherwise I'll keep tapping away at it tomorrow.

It contains the original ivanich kernel (boot.img) from cm-12.1-20150404-UNOFFICIAL-pyramid (for restoring)
It also contains little_lerroyy's mods from April 8th and April 19th.

It works on my device (sensation XE) in all cases.
About to look at uploading it...

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Nice effort. I was pulling my hair out yesterday trying to get a basic zip myself. Today I put one together from someone else on XDA. I flashed it in twrp and went without fail, however I did do it with dumlock off, so I don't know if the zip would work in practice.

I'm testing a new kernel with various governor, input boost, and bus underclock, noticing a much cooler and smoother phone. Will post in the next couple of days. Will also report on battery life.

cuttlefish

Jan 2, 2008
Pre-release CM12.1 OC Kernel installer zip (for htc pyramid - sensation and sensation xe only) is shared here: https://drive.google.com/folderview...B6TGNwVnpsNXl1TmUxdWtxbWJ1cTh0UnM&usp=sharing
It only changes the kernel (boot.img) nothing else.
flash from recovery (disable signature verification if it fails to load). :D

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Nice effort. I was pulling my hair out yesterday trying to get a basic zip myself. Today I put one together from someone else on XDA. I flashed it in twrp and went without fail, however I did do it with dumlock off, so I don't know if the zip would work in practice.

It's been fun getting this script to work (so many reboots into recovery). I'm using 4ext recovery so my zip should flash like normal for anyone. :fingers-crossed: If your script deals with reading the device type and formatting the boot drive, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it as I am getting plenty syntax errors in these sections and I cant work out why (yet).

Have fun everyone who tries my script!! I'll work a bit more on it later. :)

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

I'm testing a new kernel with various governor, input boost, and bus underclock, noticing a much cooler and smoother phone. Will post in the next couple of days. Will also report on battery life.

Awesome :laugh: current kernel already seems very smooth on Google maps angled map scrolling - it gets a bit jerky sometimes, but not so much on this kernel (19th). Amazing you can squeeze so much performance out of it.

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Nice work mate. I also happened to get a bootable zip to work, but its only very basic. Yours flashes without errors now?

I will be doing an extra day of testing before i upload newer kernel. the new kernel runs way cooler than the current one i submitted. Im noticing better battery life too. Also just included sultanxdas Panel Undervolt interface. I will see if this will make some battery savings :)

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
New kernel

Updated kernel. My phone in general runs way cooler than my previous builds. Before i could use it as a palm heater after moderate use. As mentioned before managed to include sultanxda panel undervolt interface. I think this will be great for battery life.

See 2nd post for full changelog.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ivanichs CM12 3.4 Kernel Overclocked by Little Lerroyy [IN-TESTING]

Disclaimer

Each kernel release, I will be pre testing on my device first, to ensure adequate stability. However by the use of this kernel, I claim no responsibility to any damaged devices due to the risky nature of overclocking. I recommend that you DO NOT USE THIS KERNEL if you want rock solid stability!

Credits

I won't be taking full credit for this, as a matter of fact, i will only take very little as this kernel is based 100% from Ivanichs CM12 kernel for the sensation. While I only simply transplanted the overclocking code from Sultanxda and SebatianFM kernels to Ivanichs with my touch of voltage tweaks.

Features
    • In kernel thermal throttling (MSM_THERMAL). Please thank javelinanddart for this amazing fix!
    • CPU OC to 1890MHz
    • GPU 3D OC to 320MHz
    • GPU 2D OC to 228MHz
    • BUS/Memory OC for overclocked frequencies from 310MHz to 400MHz
    • CPU Voltage interface. Select your own VCore!
    • Various idle underclocks and undervolts to improve batterylife
    • Included sultanxda's panel undervolt interface
    • Various I/O Scheduler & I/O read aheads and CPU Govenor tweaks for awesome snappiness.
    • Compiled with Linaro GCC Compiler optimized for Cortex A8.
    Bugs (Major)
    • Device will reboot when entering airplane mode before screen is switched off and then back on again.
    • Thermal Daemon will set absolute top frequency 1.89GHz when returning from a CPU throttle due to high temperature. In this case some devices can't handle 1.89 and will either reboot eventually or instantly reboot. Hinxnz has provided and excellet workaround for this. - fixed by javelinanddart!
    Notes
    • I recommend that you DO NOT USE THIS KERNEL if you want rock solid stability! Kernel is still currently in testing.
    • I would recommend only use 1.89GHz and 1.944GHz for benchmarking. I have set the voltages for those frequencies to 1.3v and a monstrous 1.375v respectivly to maintain device from instantly crashing.
    • My Device only stable on 1836MHz with a moderate 1.25v on the core (This is device depandant)
    Source
    Download Link

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM12 Overclocked 3.4 Kernel for HTC Sensation, Kernel for the HTC Sensation

Contributors
    little_lerroyy
    Source Code: https://github.com/littlelerroyy/android_kernel_htc_pyramid

Kernel Special Features: OC Up To: CPU = 1890MHz, GPU3D = 320MHz, GPU2D = 228MHz, L2 Cache = 1.6GHz

Version Information

Created 2015-03-07
    Last Updated 2015-08-12
    Changelog
    1/8/15
    • In kernel thermal throttling!!! No more thermal daemon issues! Please give your most thanks to javelinanddart for his amazing fix!
    • ramdisk file updated to work with the latest versions of CM12.1
    • Also up-to-date with ivanichs changes.
    23/4/15
    • Increased CPU input boost duration to 300mhz to smooth out UI, and reduced the possibility of intelliactive ramping CPU to max frequency unnecessarily.
    • Tweaked intelliactive govenor to be less aggressive. It was going to full speed too often and ramping while idling. Phone runs much cooler due to this change and the above
    • Reduced BUS speed for upper standard CPU frequencies.
    • Underclocked idle frequency bus from 103MHz to 80Mhz. We dont need performance at idle! We could go lower.
    • Undervolted L2 cache for idle frequencies. 1.1V -> 1.075V. We could go lower.
    • Sultanxda panel undervolting sysfs interface added. Navigate to "/sys/module/board_pyramid_panel/parameters/panel_uv", where "panel_uv" is a value between 0 and 700mV to undervolt the panel by (stock panel voltage is 3100mV). Increments of 25mV only accepted
    • Very basic flashable ZIP made.
    19/4/15
    • Reverted to old CPU Vcore table. The old Undervolted table didn't suit some devices.
    • Added CPU VCore interface. You can now change CPU voltages within android. Range: (1.35V - 0.7V)
    • Reverted to stock GPU2D BUS. Noticed no difference with it raised.
    • Increase Max current intake to 1250mA. Charging should be quicker with >1000mA chargers. (im not sure if I will keep this as i do notice a hotter phone while charging)
    • Dropped all partitions to 0KB readhead. People should notice a even more snappier phone.
    6/4/15
    • Tested with CM12.1
    • Overclocked system bus from 310MHz to 400MHz on overclocked frequencies.
    • Undervolted vcore for standard frequencies. In theroy this should provide better battery life.
    • GPU Bus overclock
    • CPU will not switch off the second core while the screen is on (it will turn off when screen is off). I find this helps improve performance drastically without any noticble drop in battery life (i feel it could improve battery life)
    • ZRAM switched off by default. People can enable this at anytime if they want to.
    • Set CPU govenor to intelliactive by default. Also tuned for extra smoothness & snappiness.
    • Set I/O Scheduler to FIOPS as default. Optimised tunable scales to improve performance.
    • Dropped read ahead levels significantly for internal and external storage. I find this improves loading from storage by quite a bit.
    8/3/15
    • Removed 1.944GHz selection to stop random crashing. I will try later to see if i can stabilize it.
    • Published boot.img with L2 Cache OC to 1.6GHz
    7/3/15
    • Initial CPU OC to 1944MHz, GPU3D 320MHz, GPU2D 228MHz
    • Added Ivanichs ZRAM support
    New kernel

Updated kernel. My phone in general runs way cooler than my previous builds. Before i could use it as a palm heater after moderate use. As mentioned before managed to include sultanxda panel undervolt interface. I think this will be great for battery life.

See 2nd post for full changelog.
    Nice work mate. I also happened to get a bootable zip to work, but its only very basic. Yours flashes without errors now?

I will be doing an extra day of testing before i upload newer kernel. the new kernel runs way cooler than the current one i submitted. Im noticing better battery life too. Also just included sultanxdas Panel Undervolt interface. I will see if this will make some battery savings :)
    Pre-release CM12.1 OC Kernel installer zip (for htc pyramid - sensation and sensation xe only) is shared here: https://drive.google.com/folderview...B6TGNwVnpsNXl1TmUxdWtxbWJ1cTh0UnM&usp=sharing
    It only changes the kernel (boot.img) nothing else.
    flash from recovery (disable signature verification if it fails to load). :D

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

It's been fun getting this script to work (so many reboots into recovery). I'm using 4ext recovery so my zip should flash like normal for anyone. :fingers-crossed: If your script deals with reading the device type and formatting the boot drive, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it as I am getting plenty syntax errors in these sections and I cant work out why (yet).

Have fun everyone who tries my script!! I'll work a bit more on it later. :)

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Awesome :laugh: current kernel already seems very smooth on Google maps angled map scrolling - it gets a bit jerky sometimes, but not so much on this kernel (19th). Amazing you can squeeze so much performance out of it.