[Q] [HELP] Phone won't turn on and it's not the battery

Search This thread

lifeisfaked

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

Was using my HTC Sensation the other day, all was working fine I was sending a text message when the phone suddenly went of. I tried to turn it back on but nothing happened, took the battery out and put it back in, tried again and nothing. Couldn't get into bootloader either. Thought it might be the battery so bought a new one but it doesn't work with that one either! When I plug it into my PC Windows sees it as QHSUSB_DLOAD but adb can't see it. Is this a hardware failure? Can it be fixed? So frustrating because if I send it back to HTC they'll see that it's rooted and they won't be happy >.<

If anyone can shed any light on what I should do that'd be great

Thanks in anticipation

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi,

Was using my HTC Sensation the other day, all was working fine I was sending a text message when the phone suddenly went of. I tried to turn it back on but nothing happened, took the battery out and put it back in, tried again and nothing. Couldn't get into bootloader either. Thought it might be the battery so bought a new one but it doesn't work with that one either! When I plug it into my PC Windows sees it as QHSUSB_DLOAD but adb can't see it. Is this a hardware failure? Can it be fixed? So frustrating because if I send it back to HTC they'll see that it's rooted and they won't be happy >.<

If anyone can shed any light on what I should do that'd be great

Thanks in anticipation

Hi,

Look HERE

:)

realsis

Sep 30, 2011
california
You we're only sending a text message and the phone bricked? That's so strange? Keep us posted and let us know how it goes with HTC repair. Did you install anything before you started the text message? Any mod, or anything? I wonder how it suddenly bricked? Or I wonder if it's a sort of hardware failure? I wish you the best and do hope they repair the device without any problems. Let us know how it goes. Best wishes

Reactions: lifeisfaked

lifeisfaked

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
You we're only sending a text message and the phone bricked? That's so strange? Keep us posted and let us know how it goes with HTC repair. Did you install anything before you started the text message? Any mod, or anything? I wonder how it suddenly bricked? Or I wonder if it's a sort of hardware failure? I wish you the best and do hope they repair the device without any problems. Let us know how it goes. Best wishes

I was running JBMIUI with Sultan kernel. I was getting wifi problems with the latest build of that kernel so was in correspondence with the developer and was trying an older version of it which was a bit dodgy, maybe it killed a component I dunno! I have read into this QHUSB_DLOAD issue and from what I've heard the device is so bricked that they wont be able to tell it was rooted. Thanks, I really hope so too! Will keep you posted,

Regards,

Luke

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
I was running JBMIUI with Sultan kernel. I was getting wifi problems with the latest build of that kernel so was in correspondence with the developer and was trying an older version of it which was a bit dodgy, maybe it killed a component I dunno! I have read into this h issue and from what I've heard the device is so bricked that they wont be able to tell it was rooted. Thanks, I really hope so too! Will keep you posted,

Regards,

Luke

I don't see how that could've killed a component :confused:. Right now your Sensation is in download mode (all kernels, including mine, put the phone into download mode upon kernel panic). Maybe when your battery died a lot of bad luck happened because when a kernel panic happens the phone should've rebooted after 5 seconds (that's the default timeout for my kernel). Also, all previous and current versions of my kernels are stable and shouldn't cause components to randomly die. Have you looked at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5f3If-2Jw?

Last edited:

lifeisfaked

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I don't see how that could've killed a component :confused:. Right now your Sensation is in download mode (all kernels, including mine, put the phone into download mode upon kernel panic). Maybe when your battery died a lot of bad luck happened because when a kernel panic happens the phone should've rebooted after 5 seconds (that's the default timeout for my kernel). Also, all previous and current versions of my kernels are stable and shouldn't cause components to randomly die. Have you looked at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5f3If-2Jw?

Sorry I didn't mean to cause offence by saying it was dodgy - the only thing that made me say that was the bug that meant that sometimes on r5 the CPU1 would not switch on and you had to reflash the kernel. Damnit, I probably should have had a go at the HTC Unbricking Project before I sent it off to HTC, This I do regret but I sort of panicked and thought the best option was to send it to HTC and hope they fix it. If they spot that it's been rooted they either charge you for the repair or send it back to you and charge £25 in courier costs. If they find it's rooted should I just pay them to fix it or do you think I have a good chance being able to fix it myself with the HTC Unbricking Project? The only reason I didn't embark upon the HTC Unbricking Project was that it explicitly said in the OP that it ONLY worked for devices bricked by switching s-on or flashing hboot, neither of which I was doing when my phone died. With hindsight though I probably should have still given it a try :/

Harbir

Sep 24, 2011
Delhi
You should do try try the unbrick project as I said earlier before paying HTC as u can pay them even after trying the project.;)

Sent from my htc using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RAMBO.

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Sorry I didn't mean to cause offence by saying it was dodgy - the only thing that made me say that was the bug that meant that sometimes on r5 the CPU1 would not switch on and you had to reflash the kernel. Damnit, I probably should have had a go at the HTC Unbricking Project before I sent it off to HTC, This I do regret but I sort of panicked and thought the best option was to send it to HTC and hope they fix it. If they spot that it's been rooted they either charge you for the repair or send it back to you and charge £25 in courier costs. If they find it's rooted should I just pay them to fix it or do you think I have a good chance being able to fix it myself with the HTC Unbricking Project? The only reason I didn't embark upon the HTC Unbricking Project was that it explicitly said in the OP that it ONLY worked for devices bricked by switching s-on or flashing hboot, neither of which I was doing when my phone died. With hindsight though I probably should have still given it a try :/

If there's a chance then you should always take it. If it didn't work then you probably could've bricked it more (maybe pull out the cable while the unbricker was doing something important) to make sure that HTC would never be able to find out that it's rooted. Also, that CPU1 bug only happened when you tried changing CPU governors from the default governor, performance (it happened because the default CPU governor was performance). To fix that you only had to reboot, not reflash the kernel :p. Good luck :)

lifeisfaked

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
If there's a chance then you should always take it. If it didn't work then you probably could've bricked it more (maybe pull out the cable while the unbricker was doing something important) to make sure that HTC would never be able to find out that it's rooted. Also, that CPU1 bug only happened when you tried changing CPU governors from the default governor, performance (it happened because the default CPU governor was performance). To fix that you only had to reboot, not reflash the kernel :p. Good luck :)

Hehe I think I'm more of a noob than I realise :p also I don't think it was just the kernel that went into panic mode - I freaked out and just wanted to have my phone back! I'm missing it so much haha let's just hope HTC fix it for free!

lifeisfaked

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I am very lucky :p

6804df1c55959b563bac7cda3485825b.png

They have replaced the mainboard and haven't charged me a penny :D good old HTC eh? Thanks for your support guys

Gudio142

Jul 22, 2011
Lol. I had the same yesterday. I was playing Asphalt 7 and HTC crashed. (I had a lot of crashes but basically it was able to turn on after 3-5 minutes http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35937286) I'm trying to boot it up but my PC recognized it also as QSUSB_DLOAD.
Have they changed motherboard in your device a while ago? Cause they have for me and since that last repair I have these problems.

Mydy

Apr 18, 2012
so... seems like i have the same/nearly same problem.
i just sent a sms and my phone rebooted ---> stuck
so i thought i am restoring a backup i did yesterday... went into recovery..wiped dalvik and cache and wiped the rest. While wiping my phone rebooted again (no clue why). now i can sometimes boot into bootloader but everytime i try to go into recovery my phone reboots again.
windows installed qhsusb driver but nothing else..cant see it.. and i cant do anything else..my phone reboots when booting into recovery and thats it... what can i do? there must be something i can do, i can atleast reaching bootloader every 3. time i am trying too.

I used ViperS 1.6
Firmware 3.32
S-Off JuopunutBear unlocked

Any Idea?

EDIT: now i cant even get into bootloader..screen turns on but stays black :( guys help me please

Last edited:

lifeisfaked

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Lol. I had the same yesterday. I was playing Asphalt 7 and HTC crashed. (I had a lot of crashes but basically it was able to turn on after 3-5 minutes http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35937286) I'm trying to boot it up but my PC recognized it also as QSUSB_DLOAD.
Have they changed motherboard in your device a while ago? Cause they have for me and since that last repair I have these problems.

This is the first time I've sent it to repair. I would try using the HTC Unbrick Project (see previous posts) and if that doesn't work I'd say you're pretty safe to send it to HTC. I would guess there's a been a hardware failure - especially if the device was having to work hard running a game. In which case they won't find out it's been rooted so you shouldn't have to pay.

so i thought i am restoring a backup i did yesterday... went into recovery..wiped dalvik and cache and wiped the rest. While wiping my phone rebooted again (no clue why). now i can sometimes boot into bootloader but everytime i try to go into recovery my phone reboots again.
windows installed qhsusb driver but nothing else..cant see it.. and i cant do anything else..my phone reboots when booting into recovery and thats it... what can i do? there must be something i can do, i can atleast reaching bootloader every 3. time i am trying too.

I used ViperS 1.6
Firmware 3.32

Any Idea?

EDIT: now i cant even get into bootloader..screen turns on but stays black :( guys help me please

This is weird that you can get the screen to come on but not get anywhere - on mine it was completely dead - the power button did nothing, pressing power on and vol down did nothing either. What happens when you try to charge it? I couldn't even get a orange charging light. Again this sounds like a faulty component, but I'm no expert on this.

As for trying to fix it yourself I don't think either of you have much chance - if it's still in warranty (mine had 2 years warranty, not sure if that is a UK thing only but considering this phone was only released May 2011 everyone's should still be in warranty) I'd say send it back to HTC. But try the HTC Unbricking project just for peace of mind so you know you can't fix it - I'd say that's your only chance

Reactions: Mydy

Mydy

Apr 18, 2012
yeah..its really wierd.at first i could at least go into the bootloader (but not into recovery)...now its just turning on.
i see that the black screen gets a bit brighter (so screen seems on) but it only shows a black screen.
Looks like i need to use my warranty. Hope it isnt a problem that i rooted, but its maybe better that they dont know that :/
Cant afford repair or a new phone. Sucks to be a broke student :(

Gudio142

Jul 22, 2011
I tried HTC Unbricking Project. It couldn't detect my device :p I had 1-2 crashes per day since last repair, I guess htc did something wrong while replacing the motherboard.
First time I sent them because I had similar problem and now the same happened. Anyways I'm waiting for postman and gonna wait 3-4 weeks again to repair this phone...
Hope they will find damaged component.

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
yeah..its really wierd.at first i could at least go into the bootloader (but not into recovery)...now its just turning on.
i see that the black screen gets a bit brighter (so screen seems on) but it only shows a black screen.
Looks like i need to use my warranty. Hope it isnt a problem that i rooted, but its maybe better that they dont know that :/

Take out the battery and let the phone sit without its battery for 1 night. When you wake up, try and see if it works.

Reactions: Mydy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You should do try try the unbrick project as I said earlier before paying HTC as u can pay them even after trying the project.;)

I am very lucky :p

6804df1c55959b563bac7cda3485825b.png

They have replaced the mainboard and haven't charged me a penny :D good old HTC eh? Thanks for your support guys

Told u people at HTC are dumb A$$ lol;)

This is the first time I've sent it to repair. I would try using the HTC Unbrick Project (see previous posts) and if that doesn't work I'd say you're pretty safe to send it to HTC. I would guess there's a been a hardware failure - especially if the device was having to work hard running a game. In which case they won't find out it's been rooted so you shouldn't have to pay.

I used ViperS 1.6
    Firmware 3.32

Any Idea?

This is weird that you can get the screen to come on but not get anywhere - on mine it was completely dead - the power button did nothing, pressing power on and vol down did nothing either. What happens when you try to charge it? I couldn't even get a orange charging light. Again this sounds like a faulty component, but I'm no expert on this.

As for trying to fix it yourself I don't think either of you have much chance - if it's still in warranty (mine had 2 years warranty, not sure if that is a UK thing only but considering this phone was only released May 2011 everyone's should still be in warranty) I'd say send it back to HTC. But try the HTC Unbricking project just for peace of mind so you know you can't fix it - I'd say that's your only chance

Take out the battery and let the phone sit without its battery for 1 night. When you wake up, try and see if it works.