Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need Help with Rooting Thunderbolt again....

Tip us?

Familyguy1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Need Help with Rooting Thunderbolt again....

Hi. So, I am in the process of trying to use my Thunderbolt again. I have not been in the rooting game since at least early 2013 and have forgot a lot of things.I still have a custom bootloader and Recovery is 4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.5 RC8. As you can see I am quite behind the game...

Is there anyway I can update to the a newer hboot and recovery? Currently I have nothing installed on this phone besides the bootloader and the recovery...

Currently, the specs i see on my Bootloader are

Mecha XD Ship S-OFF
HBOOT-6.04. 1002
MICROP-/
RADIO-2.02.00. 1117r
eMMC-boot
Feb 23 2011, 20:42:55

So my basic question is...where do I go from here? Since I am already S-OFF, does it really matter what version bootloader I have?

I tried putting a newer radio on my SD card and it wouldnt boot in the bootloader at all. It scanned for it but said "No image, wrong image!".

I am simply confused at what steps I need to take to get a working phone. Currently going to use this as my media phone, so 3G/4G connection is not an option since I am on another phone.

Thanks!

quickdraw86
Old
Thanks Meter 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy1 View Post
Hi. So, I am in the process of trying to use my Thunderbolt again. I have not been in the rooting game since at least early 2013 and have forgot a lot of things.I still have a custom bootloader and Recovery is 4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.5 RC8. As you can see I am quite behind the game...

Is there anyway I can update to the a newer hboot and recovery? Currently I have nothing installed on this phone besides the bootloader and the recovery...

Currently, the specs i see on my Bootloader are

Mecha XD Ship S-OFF
HBOOT-6.04. 1002
MICROP-/
RADIO-2.02.00. 1117r
eMMC-boot
Feb 23 2011, 20:42:55

So my basic question is...where do I go from here? Since I am already S-OFF, does it really matter what version bootloader I have?

I tried putting a newer radio on my SD card and it wouldnt boot in the bootloader at all. It scanned for it but said "No image, wrong image!".

I am simply confused at what steps I need to take to get a working phone. Currently going to use this as my media phone, so 3G/4G connection is not an option since I am on another phone.

Thanks!
If you're already s-off, the bootloader version isn't important, and won't hinder your ability to install ROMs, kernels, etc... To install a radio, put the file on the root of your SD card, rename to PG05IMG.zip, reboot to bootloader... The best/most current ROMs can be found at infectedrom.com...
Devices:

Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 32gb (flo)
ROM: Jdevil/Slimkat

Phone: Galaxy Nexus 32gb
ROM: Slimkat/Commotio

Familyguy1
Old
(Last edited by Familyguy1; 4th September 2014 at 04:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw86 View Post
If you're already s-off, the bootloader version isn't important, and won't hinder your ability to install ROMs, kernels, etc... To install a radio, put the file on the root of your SD card, rename to PG05IMG.zip, reboot to bootloader... The best/most current ROMs can be found at infectedrom.com...
This is going to be a stupid question, but should it be in a .rar zip format or is a folder with .zip at the end fine? I think that might have been my problem. Also, I have to put the files on my SD through the computer, so to put it on the root of my SD card is to just put it onto my SD card on the computer?

Edit: I am an idiot. I got the radio stuff figured out.

Next I will do the Rom stuff. With the recovery, when I get the rom all situated and running, can I just run the recovery control app for 4EXT and that should update it?

quickdraw86
Old
Thanks Meter 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy1 View Post
This is going to be a stupid question, but should it be in a .rar zip format or is a folder with .zip at the end fine? I think that might have been my problem. Also, I have to put the files on my SD through the computer, so to put it on the root of my SD card is to just put it onto my SD card on the computer?

Edit: I am an idiot. I got the radio stuff figured out.

Next I will do the Rom stuff. With the recovery, when I get the rom all situated and running, can I just run the recovery control app for 4EXT and that should update it?
If there is a newer version of 4ext, yes. I don't use my bolt anymore as my regular personal phone, so unsure of the current/final version number of 4ext recovery...
Devices:

Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 32gb (flo)
ROM: Jdevil/Slimkat

Phone: Galaxy Nexus 32gb
ROM: Slimkat/Commotio