[Q] Need some help on updating this stupid phone UGH!

Search This thread
May 19, 2014
I got an HTC Vivid today, After spending an awful amount of time looking this thing up and o.s. and yadda yadda to make sure there are updates to get it up on ICS. I need something to run 4.0. and this is driving me NUTS! I get the phone booted up and check for an update. Said error, not unusual for where I live SO.. I turned to HTC. Downloaded the HTC Sync, will not even register my phone. Phone can not locate it either. I talked to HTC, finally got fed up with them as I guess they did not understand I just needed my phone updated. After HTC, I called ATT tech support. After wasting 45 mins of my time they tell me to go to a store. So, I go to the store. Mind you our car blew a rotor yesterday and this ATT is out of town. We get there, they tell me they cant help me because the update needs to be done over wifi and this certain ATT does not have wifi. Great! then i proceed to show them the error message. They tell me it's some kind of software malfunction. Well, now I'm back home beyond frustrated and asking for some help here seeing as this wasnt as easy as I had hoped it would be.
I know the general idea of all this but I have never done anything with a phone yet so if someone can help here, BABY STEPS LOL! Talk to me like im 10 I dont care :p Just want to get this done so I can go about doing the things I need to, whole reason I bought the phone. Thank you in advanced!

May 19, 2014
Solution, at least for me

That's great to hear! Would you mind posting the steps that fixed your problem? It may help someone with a similar issue in the future!

This is what I did, it forced my Vivid to download the update

Easy peasy:
Open the dialer and dial: *#*#682#*#* and hit send. Might have to do it a few times, took me 2 times but it worked for me an my phone is running 4.0.3 now :) HTC sense version: 3.6

Hope that can help someone else down the road if need be!
I was personally ready to kill my phone though as I only had a few hours lol
I wasn't attached to it yet. So make sure if you try it, you are ready for the possibility it wont work.

Top Liked Posts