[Q] Cannot update, root or flash recovery
After trawling the internet for about 4 hours, downloading various things and reading many guides, I decided to give up and create this thread.
I have a HTC Wildfire S with the following in bootloader
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
Apr 8 2011,17:45:10
Android version: 2.3.5
HTC Sense version: 2.1
Software number: 2.14.771.4
1. OTA always seemed to fail with an icon of a phone with a red triangle (I assume that means missing recovery).
2. RUU always seemed to turn up with Error 191.
3. Created a goldcard, and tried RUU again, still Error 191.
4. Placed rom_01.zip in root of SD card and renamed to PG76IMG, booted into HBOOT where nothing happened.
5. Repeated with rom_02, and same result.
6. Attempted flashing recovery, and then a full RUU zip through fastboot, which neither worked. The errors I received were "FAILED (remote: not allowed)" & "FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)" respectively.
7. Extracted the boot.img & system.img, and attempted to flash via fastboot, and received the "FAILED (remote: not allowed)" error.
8. Downloaded an AIO toolkit, and attempted flashing recovery, and the zip file and received the same errors. Also attempted perm root from there, which still had no results.
9. Somehow factory reset it, and repeated all of the above, still with no results.
I would appreciate any help,