Tip us?

Alexei Volkoff
Old
(Last edited by Alexei Volkoff; 2nd September 2014 at 06:50 PM.) Reason: typo
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default [Q] Huawei Mediapad X1 - buying advice

Hi

After using the Galaxy Note 2 and then the Note 3 for more than 2 years I've reached the conclusion that I need a phablet with a screen as big as my pocket and hand can fit, since my phablet is my portable office. I use it mainly for work and the bigger the screen, the better. I'm also tired of the terrible sunlight legibility of the Note series. As such, I'm seriously considering the Mediapad X1.

I've been reading the threads on XDA and searching the web for all the info I can get, but a few issues are still a bit unclear to me. If any of these questions has been asked before, my apologies. I did search the forum but something might have slipped or maybe I didn't understand it. So, what I'd like to ask is:

1) I live in Europe and have a 4G data plan. My carrier's LTE network has the following characteristics:

Frequency (MHz) / Band / Duplex Mode
800 / 20 / FDD
1800 / 3 / FDD
2600 / 7 / FDD

What is the manufacturer's code for the 16GB black 4G FDD & TDD version of the Mediapad X1? The specs that most online sites and ebay sellers post are general at best and I want to be sure I'm getting the right model.

2) Is there an official KitKat ROM available for download (not OTA)? If so, does it support English? Is it rootable (deal breaker for me)?

3) There seems to be an issue with the screens DPI in the latest ROM (whatever it is) but I didn't quite understand what the problem is?

4) Can I make the home row disappear in the international version of the phone and have an uncluttered full screen or is this only possible in the Chinese version?

5) I've noticed that the device seems to be out of stock on most online dealers. Is this just a momentary situation or has the phone been discontinued?

Thanks.

Moandal
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Volkoff View Post
Hi

After using the Galaxy Note 2 and then the Note 3 for more than 2 years I've reached the conclusion that I need a phablet with a screen as big as my pocket and hand can fit, since my phablet is my portable office. I use it mainly for work and the bigger the screen, the better. I'm also tired of the terrible sunlight legibility of the Note series. As such, I'm seriously considering the Mediapad X1.

I've been reading the threads on XDA and searching the web for all the info I can get, but a few issues are still a bit unclear to me. If any of these questions has been asked before, my apologies. I did search the forum but something might have slipped or maybe I didn't understand it. So, what I'd like to ask is:

1) I live in Europe and have a 4G data plan. My carrier's LTE network has the following characteristics:

Frequency (MHz) Band Duplex Mode
800 20 FDD
1800 3 FDD
2600 7 FDD

What is the manufacturer's code for the 16GB black 4G FDD & TDD version of the Mediapad X1? The specs that most online sites and ebay sellers post are general at best and I want to be sure I'm getting the right model.

2) Is there an official KitKat ROM available for download (not OTA)? If so, does it support English? Is it rootable (deal breaker for me)?

3) There seems to be an issue with the screens DPI in the latest ROM (whatever it is) but I didn't quite understand what the problem is?

4) Can I make the home row disappear in the international version of the phone and have an uncluttered full screen or is this only possible in the Chinese version?

5) I've noticed that the device seems to be out of stock on most online dealers. Is this just a momentary situation or has the phone been discontinued?

Thanks.
1) You need the International version, which is the 7D-501L.
2) I don't think there is a KitKat version for that one yet, but you shouldn't have a problem rooting the 4.2.2 software.
3) The KitKat ROMs for the other X1 models have the screen density set to 400 dpi instead of 320 on the 4.2.2, which I'm told spoils the layout in places and also breaks compatibility with some apps such as Google Plus.
4) I think you have to root the phone to get the navigation bar to disappear on the International version software.
5) No idea, but I doubt very much if it's been discontinued when it's only just out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moandal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alexei Volkoff
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Thanks a lot for the explanation! I've read some more about this phone here on XDA and it seems that there are way too many problems and very little solutions. Support from Huawei is poor or non-existent - at least for those of us who don't understand Chinese - and there are very few users here, so support is limited too.

I really wanted to move to a bigger screen but it seems that it is best to wait for now. No Kitkat for the 501L, many people reporting issues after rooting, which in itself doesn't seem exactly problem free, and so on. What a shame. I really wanted this device.