[Q] Any root ability on this phone yet?

Search This thread

mk3

Aug 1, 2008
GMT -8
ok so thinking about rooting this thing and it dawned on me... what if there's root for another similar phone? If another phone had the same CPU and GPU is there a chance that it's CWM recovery would work on the Idol3? I found this phone with same snapdragon 615 CPU and same Adreno 405 GPU so wondering if its recovery and root <found here on XDA> might work. Anyone feeling brave enough to try???

DallasCZ

Feb 10, 2012
Mikulov
Huawei P10
Huawei P30
ok so thinking about rooting this thing and it dawned on me... what if there's root for another similar phone? If another phone had the same CPU and GPU is there a chance that it's CWM recovery would work on the Idol3? I found this phone with same snapdragon 615 CPU and same Adreno 405 GPU so wondering if its recovery and root <found here on XDA> might work. Anyone feeling brave enough to try???
If you have time to read this forum (you should, because you avoid to ask stupid questions over and over again), you will probably know, that i allready tried to boot Yu Yureka custom recovery. I dont have time to browse the web the whole days, so if anyone will find any custom rom for snapdragon615 based phone (the best will be 5,5 inch FHD) then post it and i will try to boot it. Its easy think, you just boot to recovery, not flash, so if the custom recovery doesnt work you just reboot the phone.

Pendom

Nov 24, 2014
I was trying to boot recovery TRWP from Galaxy A7 (615 + 5,5") and Archos Diamond 50 (615 + 5") and no result. (Booting... FAILED <remote: dtb not found>)
I also tried to boot yu recovery (CWM and TRWP) but they don't boot, Idol 3 boot directly on stock rom.

Someone tried by using adb sideload ? by push & pull ? from stock recovery it don't work

rhcohen

May 17, 2013
This is not meant in any way to be mean but most of the questions your asking have already been answered at the beginning of this thread. In fact the steps to unlock the bootloader with full examples are there too so it's in your best interests to read it.

Maybe we shouldn't be quite so hard on people asking about unlocking the bootloader. Yes it's all there in the first few pages of this thread, but not really in one place; I had to assemble notes for myself from several different posts, in order to get all the way from being able to access the phone from my computer (would have required installing a particular driver if PC; not so for Mac) to confirming that I had succeeded. I counted 6 steps. I've wondered if it would be useful to just post in one place the full set of instructions -- possibly in a separate thread labeled "unlocking the bootloader"? I could create such a post from the notes I assembled.

Reactions: mk3

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Maybe we shouldn't be quite so hard on people asking about unlocking the bootloader. Yes it's all there in the first few pages of this thread, but not really in one place; I had to assemble notes for myself from several different posts, in order to get all the way from being able to access the phone from my computer (would have required installing a particular driver if PC; not so for Mac) to confirming that I had succeeded. I counted 6 steps. I've wondered if it would be useful to just post in one place the full set of instructions -- possibly in a separate thread labeled "unlocking the bootloader"? I could create such a post from the notes I assembled.

Your idea sounds good to me. If you contact one of the moderators you can probably have the post made "sticky" as well.
You mentioned having to find adb drivers...you should be aware if you put the phone into "cdrom" mode it mounts and makes drivers available to install in windows.

Folks should keep in mind however that unlocking the bootloader gains you absolutely nothing right now.

Last edited:

rhcohen

May 17, 2013
Your idea sounds good to me. If you contact one of the moderators you can probably have the post made "sticky" as well.
You mentioned having to find adb drivers...you should be aware if you put the phone into "cdrom" mode it mounts and makes drivers available to install in windows.

Folks should keep in mind however that unlocking the bootloader gains you absolutely nothing right now.

Ok I started a thread with the instructions I assembled. As to the adb driver, I merely repeated what I grabbed from an early post on the thread. I didn't have the issue myself as I have a Mac, so adb just worked. I did fiddle some with "cdrom" mode but it didn't do anything useful for me, I suppose because I was on a Mac. If you would like to spell out the step(s) to install the driver via cdrom mode, I can edit my post accordingly, to keep a one-stop "how to do it".

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Ok I started a thread with the instructions I assembled. As to the adb driver, I merely repeated what I grabbed from an early post on the thread. I didn't have the issue myself as I have a Mac, so adb just worked. I did fiddle some with "cdrom" mode but it didn't do anything useful for me, I suppose because I was on a Mac. If you would like to spell out the step(s) to install the driver via cdrom mode, I can edit my post accordingly, to keep a one-stop "how to do it".

You'll have to find someone else to give you the steps since I'm on linux but I think it's as simple as running an .exe that installs the drivers so when the cable is plugged in it's recognized. Under and of the ubuntu linux's/Linux Mint you have to install the packages "android-tools-adb" and "android-tools-fastboot" and all the fastboot commands have to be prefixed with "sudo " (the adb ones don't need sudo but will work either way) sudo runs the command as root so it first asks for your root password.

rhcohen

May 17, 2013
You'll have to find someone else to give you the steps since I'm on linux but I think it's as simple as running an .exe that installs the drivers so when the cable is plugged in it's recognized. Under and of the ubuntu linux's/Linux Mint you have to install the packages "android-tools-adb" and "android-tools-fastboot" and all the fastboot commands have to be prefixed with "sudo " (the adb ones don't need sudo but will work either way) sudo runs the command as root so it first asks for your root password.

Sorry, I mistook your remark about installing adb driver to be about installing the alcatel usb driver. The instructions as I've now posted them on the separate thread cover getting the usb driver for windows. I assumed (as apparently did the initial posts on this thread) that someone who was unlocking a bootloader would be resourceful enough to get the Android SDK tools (including fastboot and adb) for their computer platform without further instruction; I did have to do that for my Mac (from developer.android.com/tools/studio). But maybe to be complete I should add this. (I DID cover that you need "sudo" for fastboot commands on linux).

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Sorry, I mistook your remark about installing adb driver to be about installing the alcatel usb driver. The instructions as I've now posted them on the separate thread cover getting the usb driver for windows. I assumed (as apparently did the initial posts on this thread) that someone who was unlocking a bootloader would be resourceful enough to get the Android SDK tools (including fastboot and adb) for their computer platform without further instruction; I did have to do that for my Mac (from developer.android.com/tools/studio). But maybe to be complete I should add this. (I DID cover that you need "sudo" for fastboot commands on linux).

The linux packages don't require the full SDK...just enough to enable the adb and fastboot commands. The instructions about going into cdrom mode and installing the alcatel usb driver were exactly that..no need to download any files and as I recall someone reported the files on the idol 3 were newer than the files available for download.

frankee207

Feb 25, 2014
Toulouse
so if anyone will find any custom rom for snapdragon615 based phone (the best will be 5,5 inch FHD) then post it and i will try to boot it. Its easy think, you just boot to recovery, not flash, so if the custom recovery doesnt work you just reboot the phone.

Hello,

TCL 3S M3G has snap 615, 2GB RAM; it's almost the same than our idol 3. But with a 5" FHD screen. Customs roms are available here:
http://www.needrom.com/category/tcl/m3g/ but the most interessant would be the CM12.1: http://www.needrom.com/download/cm12-1-android-5-1-1/

The stock rom is rooted using this software https://mega.co.nz/#!wZdD1AiY!eUfYCCtWpRuQOCumfw_PiNyhCaUfTFZoAo6CaSneQrQ but I can't use it. (seems chinese...)

More info http://forum.frandroid.com/topic/22...sharp-130mp-sony-exmor-rs-4g-gps-glonass-etc/ (I can help to translate if you can't read french) and here: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=665974

Hope this will help

DallasCZ

Feb 10, 2012
Mikulov
Huawei P10
Huawei P30
Hello,
The stock rom is rooted using this software https://mega.co.nz/#!wZdD1AiY!eUfYCCtWpRuQOCumfw_PiNyhCaUfTFZoAo6CaSneQrQ but I can't use it. (seems chinese...)
Hope this will help

hurrray...we got root...the exe file extractes a bat file which only reboot to modified boot.img, which pushes supersu to the system and then reboots twice and now i got supersu and root access!!!! :) LET the fun begin...
i will make a simple bat in english today at night.
Screenshot_2015-07-20-17-46-05.png

Gynoid

Jul 16, 2010
Paris area

ROOTED !!! My Alcatel Idol 3 5.5 (6045Y) is ROOTED !!
Thanks, frankee207 you are a living god !
I owe you life !!

Now, more seriously, here's what I did:
  • Download this fine chinese thing from the URL you gave us
  • Unzip the resulting .exe file
  • Edit the REC.BAT batch file - it's in chinese, but it's readable by human eyes - and, replace the line where it says fastboot boot boot.img with fastboot -i 0x1bbb boot boot.img (in fact, just insert -i 0x1bbb between fastboot and boot boot.img).
  • Run the REC.BAT file in a CMD window
  • Connect the phone (with USB debugging enabled)
  • Press 1
  • Wait ...
... ET VOILÀ !!!

Last edited:

frankee207

Feb 25, 2014
Toulouse
I owe you life !!

• Edit the REC.BAT batch file - it's in chinese, but it's readable by human eyes - and, replace the line where it says fastboot boot boot.img with fastboot -i 0x1bbb boot boot.img (in fact, just insert -i 0x1bbb between fastboot and boot boot.img).
  • Press 1
  • Wait ...
... ET VOILÀ !!!

Great ! Really great ! As I did not receive mine yet, I hadn't been able to try !
Will root mine as soon as I'll receive it !

DallasCZ said:
hurrray...we got root...the exe file extractes a bat file which only reboot to modified boot.img, which pushes supersu to the system and then reboots twice and now i got supersu and root access!!!! LET the fun begin...
i will make a simple bat in english today at night

I guess you just click "1" then plugging the phone ?

Last edited:

brian117

Feb 22, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Sweet!!! Just followed the above steps and I also got root on my 6045L. I did run into a scare though, after selecting 1 and hitting enter, it was frozen on the same text on the CMD window for a couple minutes and I was afraid to unplug my phone, but I woke my phone up and saw an RSA key dialog that I had to allow. After selecting OK the phone rebooted instantly and I have root. This is pure awesome. Time to install an adblocker. Thank you so much to frankeee207 for providing that method.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-20-12-42-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-20-12-42-06.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 842
  • Screenshot_2015-07-20-12-43-01.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-20-12-43-01.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 850
Last edited:
Reactions: sjketchen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so if anyone will find any custom rom for snapdragon615 based phone (the best will be 5,5 inch FHD) then post it and i will try to boot it. Its easy think, you just boot to recovery, not flash, so if the custom recovery doesnt work you just reboot the phone.

Hello,

TCL 3S M3G has snap 615, 2GB RAM; it's almost the same than our idol 3. But with a 5" FHD screen. Customs roms are available here:
    http://www.needrom.com/category/tcl/m3g/ but the most interessant would be the CM12.1: http://www.needrom.com/download/cm12-1-android-5-1-1/

More info http://forum.frandroid.com/topic/22...sharp-130mp-sony-exmor-rs-4g-gps-glonass-etc/ (I can help to translate if you can't read french) and here: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=665974

Hope this will help
    The holdup for all you impatient people is for Alcatel to release the source code on sourceforge. If you go back through the thread you can find the link where you can go to that sourceforge page and request the source under the issues section. Another user stated they appeared to have a past history of eventually filling these requests. Having the source will allow someone to compile a boot.img which would be used in custom recoveries...that's one way to get root on the phone..via flashing supersu with a custom recovery....the other is to compile a rom with supersu present which the source code will also enable....after all that then folks can begin to work on custom rom's that work around issues and add features.

It amazes me the sheer amount of people demanding updates and stating they are no longer recommending the phone based on the complaints here...the vocal minority who have issues will always be the ones posting...folks who have phones that "just work" for the most part never even join a forum like xda let alone make posts. I'm impatient for root just as much as anyone else but realistically 5 weeks or so is NOT a long time to be waiting on updates..especially given that one update was already waiting when the phone first went out.

If you disabled all the animations and use an alternative launcher like apex or nova the "lag" is much less noticeable. Other apps that may help are:

Adguard - Creates local vpn to enable ad blocking on non root phones. I own the pro version.
    Autorun Manager - Can be used to kill SOME apps that auto run at startup. Does not work well with apps that auto restart after being killed but it clears out some of the dead weight.
    Helium - with access to pc can be used even on non rooted phone to backup/restore apps AND their data.
    Greenpower Free - Battery saver that can do things such as turn on wifi periodically then turn back off if no available hotspots found. It can also enable bluetooth when charging and disable when not. It cuts down on app autosync's. Has alot worth looking at. I own the pro version
    Hangar - Add your recent apps to bottom of notification drop down.
    Lightning browser - Light and fast with built in ad blocking.
    Lux Lite - Adjusts background brightness based on surroundings. (I own the pro)
    MoboClean - This is a big one...uses a wrapper to add fine tuned privacy settings to many apps...allows you to disable autostart/background running...prevent an app from accessing contact data, phone number, location etc.....
    Rocketdialer - my preferred dialer.
    Screen Off - used with nova or apex launcher to enable double tap to sleep since the "native version" only works with the default launcher.
    Swiftkey Keyboard - My personal choice for keyboard.
    Truecaller - Identifies many incoming callers and allows option to add to contacts.
    Wefi Pro - Keeps a database of public open wifi spots and will auto connect to them if you are in their vicinity.

Hope some of that is useful.
    I have succefully ported TWRP on Alcatel Idol 3 (6039Y), here is a proof:
    IMG_20150706_231940.jpg
    IMG_20150706_231950.jpgg

So i have root on my device:
    Screenshot_2015-07-07-00-41-14.png

All needed files is in my blog article: Alcatel Idol 3 (4.7") 6039Y. Взгляд со стороны. Blog is in russian, but you can use Google Translate if needed.

Installation of TWRP is very simple, you just need to activate USB Debug in developer options, than run the following commands:

1. adb reboot bootloader
    2. fastboot -i 0x1bbb flash recovery twrp_recovery_alcatel_6039y.img

After you have installed TWRP - you can install UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip to get root.
    Hello,
    Hope this will help

hurrray...we got root...the exe file extractes a bat file which only reboot to modified boot.img, which pushes supersu to the system and then reboots twice and now i got supersu and root access!!!! :) LET the fun begin...
    i will make a simple bat in english today at night.
    Screenshot_2015-07-20-17-46-05.png

I owe you life !!

• Press 1
    • Wait ...
    ... ET VOILÀ !!!