Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 53,052 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The 'Alien Dalvik' licensing issue

Tip us?

DeepPurple15X
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I think the first step would be to be able to install apk. I mean we dont need Google proprietary services and Play Store, cause we always have FOSS and F-droid.

ghling
Old
Thanks Meter 75
So, is there anywhere a "I would totally pay money to use the full Sailfish OS with Alien Dalvik on my phone" list where I can add my name to encourage Jolla to sell ports / licenses with the Alien Dalvik included?
I'm a big fan of Sailfish and it's concept, but have bought a Nexus 5 because I haven't yet heard of Jolla then. Having an alternative to Android would be so great, but without the native support for APKs there is a huge part missing. So I would totally pay money to get that.
open options -> select "About phone" -> quickly tap "Android version" multiple time

MooNWalker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghling View Post
So, is there anywhere a "I would totally pay money to use the full Sailfish OS with Alien Dalvik on my phone" list where I can add my name to encourage Jolla to sell ports / licenses with the Alien Dalvik included?
I'm a big fan of Sailfish and it's concept, but have bought a Nexus 5 because I haven't yet heard of Jolla then. Having an alternative to Android would be so great, but without the native support for APKs there is a huge part missing. So I would totally pay money to get that.
Admittedly in my case the only thing I need to switch to Sailfish as my primary mobile system is either Google Voice support or a good Google Voice alternative. I've been looking at Twilio, but from what I understand I won't be able to make phone calls through Twilio somewhere where internet access is present but not fast enough for proper VoIP. Once I figure out that question I don't really need any Dalvik or whatnot, I can write other few non-standard apps I need.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

cobhc87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It's strange that the team of sailfish OS does't work by itself on a open and free virtual machine for its OS. Meego was totally freeand open source.
Sorry for my English.