Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 50,668 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The 'Alien Dalvik' licensing issue

Tip us?

DeepPurple15X
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I think the first step would be to be able to install apk. I mean we dont need Google proprietary services and Play Store, cause we always have FOSS and F-droid.

ghling
Old
Thanks Meter 75
So, is there anywhere a "I would totally pay money to use the full Sailfish OS with Alien Dalvik on my phone" list where I can add my name to encourage Jolla to sell ports / licenses with the Alien Dalvik included?
I'm a big fan of Sailfish and it's concept, but have bought a Nexus 5 because I haven't yet heard of Jolla then. Having an alternative to Android would be so great, but without the native support for APKs there is a huge part missing. So I would totally pay money to get that.
open options -> select "About phone" -> quickly tap "Android version" multiple time

MooNWalker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghling View Post
So, is there anywhere a "I would totally pay money to use the full Sailfish OS with Alien Dalvik on my phone" list where I can add my name to encourage Jolla to sell ports / licenses with the Alien Dalvik included?
I'm a big fan of Sailfish and it's concept, but have bought a Nexus 5 because I haven't yet heard of Jolla then. Having an alternative to Android would be so great, but without the native support for APKs there is a huge part missing. So I would totally pay money to get that.
Admittedly in my case the only thing I need to switch to Sailfish as my primary mobile system is either Google Voice support or a good Google Voice alternative. I've been looking at Twilio, but from what I understand I won't be able to make phone calls through Twilio somewhere where internet access is present but not fast enough for proper VoIP. Once I figure out that question I don't really need any Dalvik or whatnot, I can write other few non-standard apps I need.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

cobhc87
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It's strange that the team of sailfish OS does't work by itself on a open and free virtual machine for its OS. Meego was totally freeand open source.
Sorry for my English.

blackout23
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc87 View Post
It's strange that the team of sailfish OS does't work by itself on a open and free virtual machine for its OS. Meego was totally freeand open source.
Sorry for my English.
...and so is Mer, which is the core of Sailfish OS....
The Following User Says Thank You to blackout23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cobhc87
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
...and so is Mer, which is the core of Sailfish OS....
I don't know why they talked about Qt, Wayland, and bla bla...and then they use close-source emulator!

RumoredNow
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc87 View Post
I don't know why they talked about Qt, Wayland, and bla bla...and then they use close-source emulator!
Due to their existing expertise and track record, Myriad Group offered a supported shortcut to the goal of running Android Apps. I think it was a smart partnering on Jolla's behalf. They wanted/needed to get a device out to market. Don't forget the history... Nokia axed their MeeGo work and their jobs. They struck out on their own to do this...

"I don't know why they didn't flounder in poverty, risk themselves and their families' starvation, lose their homes to foreclosure and bankruptcy while they wrote yet more code from scratch and went through endless test cycles. They should have stayed 1000% open source and drug things out longer from bringing a product to market until it was too late and the newly founded company went belly up with nothing to show for it."

I guess your glass is half empty.

Look at the larger picture and not just your desire to have some Apps instantly fall into your lap for free. All the crying over lack of Apps is what keeps iOS and Android dominant. Consumers are blocking real choice, not tech developers. If no one will support a fledgling Mobile OS it will not be around long. That support will have to entail some growing pains.

My glass is half full.

I see a beautiful, intuitive and fun Mobile OS that has been gifted to me via the ability to flash it onto a Nexus 4. I'm very grateful for what was given to me.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RumoredNow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alboe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Look at the larger picture and not just your desire to have some Apps instantly fall into your lap for free. All the crying over lack of Apps is what keeps iOS and Android dominant. Consumers are blocking real choice, not tech developers. If no one will support a fledgling Mobile OS it will not be around long. That support will have to entail some growing pains.