Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 36,930 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Jolla Sailfish OS

Tip us?

stormageddon
Old
(Last edited by stormageddon; 21st November 2012 at 06:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59

DONATE TO ME
Talking Jolla Sailfish OS

Saw this new OS by Jolla called Sailfish, it is a Linux bases OS that shares the mer core that was used by MeeGo. So far from what I can tell it is going to be completely open source and will be able to run android apps. I just wanted to post this here to see if there would be anyone willing to try and get this onto the G2x. I don't know if it is possible but if it could be done I would be willing to do whatever to help it get done as I think this is a really cool OS with a different UI and real multitasking.

Any information on the OS can be found here: http://jolla.com

Hands on with the OS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?1&v=_c_BqnR_vAM
Device: T-Mobile G2x
ROM: Stock 2.3.4 V21y
Kernel: Stock
If I helped you please click the Thanks button.

Demons Run....
....When A Good Man Goes To War
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stormageddon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bulletblitz27
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Reminds me of BB10. Is this Android based?

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

c1c2doc
Old
Thanks Meter 14
That looks incredible

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

Rafase282
Old
Thanks Meter 319

DONATE TO ME
Looking into it. I guess I would have to compile from source and go from there.

Phone: Google Nexus 4 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel
Tablet: Nexus 7 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel & Ubuntu 12.10
Backup devices: LG G2X (Cm7 & CM10.1), Nexus One (Evervol 4.2.x).
Help me out Get Dropbox!

My Contributions:

T-Mobile G2X
LewaOS Port
MokeeOS Port
LiguxOS Port
Unbrick your G2X, Baseband guides

If I have helped you in any way please hit the thanks button or consider a donation.

Rafase282
Old
(Last edited by Rafase282; 22nd November 2012 at 01:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 319

DONATE TO ME
It looks like the graphic card driver issue might come up again. Hopefully not. I was told to start with this since I have a nexus one.

SDK is here by the way.

Phone: Google Nexus 4 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel
Tablet: Nexus 7 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel & Ubuntu 12.10
Backup devices: LG G2X (Cm7 & CM10.1), Nexus One (Evervol 4.2.x).
Help me out Get Dropbox!

My Contributions:

T-Mobile G2X
LewaOS Port
MokeeOS Port
LiguxOS Port
Unbrick your G2X, Baseband guides

If I have helped you in any way please hit the thanks button or consider a donation.

kepapas
Old
Thanks Meter 252
Possible ROM? Looks better then jb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

AndroidKills
Old
Thanks Meter 70
its actually the MeeGo OS, not android, but it looks so good.
Mytouch3g / LG G2x / Nexus 7 - 2012~ Purity / Nexus 4 16g~AOSPA 4.4
Nexus 7 - 2013 ~Purity, Rooted
Black Nexus 5 32g ~Purity, Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidKills For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bardzogrozny
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi,

i'm very interested in this os. Saw the presentation at the live stream wednesday and follow the developement for a while. Here some things i found. Hope this helps.
It is meego/mer based.
The bridge to android is, that the Appstore of google is ported to sailfish os.
There will be a support for ST Ericsson devices. I'm wondering on which devices it will be ported.
The developers are making commercial to the manufacturers with the statement, that they are able to port the system to any device within three days. So there should be good possobiloties for dev's.
The source Code should be available right now, but i couldn't find it. There is a wiki site on sailfishos.org .

Hope there are some people that will try to port it.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to bardzogrozny For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kanttii
Old
(Last edited by kanttii; 23rd November 2012 at 09:24 PM.) Reason: more
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
I like what they are doing A LOT. I was organizing the #Slush12 conference and got to see their stuff very well. It's great, amazing IMO! We will also ahve a hack day with them on 1st of December, exploring the Sailfish SDK (check http://sailfishos.org ) so if anyone here wants to come to Finland........ http://mobiledevcamp.fi

Anyways, yeah, it's based on MeeGo/Mer and uses Nemo as the base for GUI - but the UI is completely different. There are also many other things that differ and will differ in the future from Mer base but at the moment there isn't too much in there. And since a device will be launched in Summer 2013 there is still a lot they need to work on. It's going to be open source and it will support a very broad range of CPU's. I might even be able to get it on my old HTC Magic....hmmmmm....gotta see about that. They had dozens of devices there at the event they had put it running on, including N950's, (I think an N9 too), some ST-Ericsson development devices, Raspberry Pi boards (!!!!!!) and then some others. Wow. They all seem to be tweakers & hackers like us

You should check the videos from http://youtube.com/jollaofficial and from http://jolla.com to get a better view on what's going to come. Or what is. '
'

And as a side note, we COULD get the OS running with the stuff from the SDK. No instructions or tutorials yet but skilled guys can ofc do it!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardzogrozny View Post
Hi,

i'm very interested in this os. Saw the presentation at the live stream wednesday and follow the developement for a while. Here some things i found. Hope this helps.
It is meego/mer based.
The bridge to android is, that the Appstore of google is ported to sailfish os.
There will be a support for ST Ericsson devices. I'm wondering on which devices it will be ported.
The developers are making commercial to the manufacturers with the statement, that they are able to port the system to any device within three days. So there should be good possobiloties for dev's.
The source Code should be available right now, but i couldn't find it. There is a wiki site on sailfishos.org .

Hope there are some people that will try to port it.

Cheers!
Google's Play Store won't officially be ported for Sailfish OS, but instead I believe some people here at XDA will port the APK though there is no guarantee it works. Anyways, they will be run through Myriad's stuff.

The ST-Ericsson stuff means that they are supporting Jolla with dev boards and that their boards can and will be used on at least some Jolla devices.

More later!
Get Dropbox with extra 500MB!
Android: Acer A100 (ICS), HTC Magic (GB)
Windows Phone: LG Quantum (WP 7.8), Nokia Lumia 800 (7.10.8862.144), Nokia Lumia 820 (Amber)
Other: PC & laptops, Hackintosh netbook, Asus VivoTab Smart, Acer Iconia W510

stormageddon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59

DONATE TO ME
I like all that is being said here and hope we could get some skilled developers on this, the SDK is out though I do not have the link for it right here. I will look around for it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
Device: T-Mobile G2x
ROM: Stock 2.3.4 V21y
Kernel: Stock
If I helped you please click the Thanks button.

Demons Run....
....When A Good Man Goes To War

Tags
jolla, meego, sailfish