Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,728 Members 44,344 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Porting Sailfish OS

Tip us?

jabza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 531

DONATE TO ME
Default Porting Sailfish OS

So, with the recent news of a port of Sailfish to the Nexus 4, I've been thinking. Does anyone know what it would take to port this OS? Does anyone here know the system well enough to be able to describe what it would entail to port this to another Nexus device, like the Nexus 5?

To clarify, I'm not asking anyone else to port the OS (though if someone would like to, that's fine), because I'm more than happy to do the work for it. I've just never actually ported anything like a completely new OS, so I don't know what it would involve and I'd like it if someone explained or even gave a rough outline of what would need to be done.
Nexus 5: Personal Paranoid Android nightly build
HTC One: Paranoid Android official beta
Samsung Infuse 4g: Beanstalk
====================================
My personal nightly builds from Paranoid Android source

With Halo: Nightly folder
Without Halo: Nightly folder

Also, you can check out the thread for updates and info.
Donate Bitcoins

Daycrawler
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabza View Post
So, with the recent news of a port of Sailfish to the Nexus 4, I've been thinking. Does anyone know what it would take to port this OS? Does anyone here know the system well enough to be able to describe what it would entail to port this to another Nexus device, like the Nexus 5?

To clarify, I'm not asking anyone else to port the OS (though if someone would like to, that's fine), because I'm more than happy to do the work for it. I've just never actually ported anything like a completely new OS, so I don't know what it would involve and I'd like it if someone explained or even gave a rough outline of what would need to be done.
I tried to do that a few weeks back but didn't have time to hunt down all the problems I had.
Check out this blog:
http://martinbrook.blogspot.com/?m=1
There's a rough guide in one entry. Basically you need to build CM from source, apply libhybris patches and then set up Mer on top of it. When you get Mer running it should be easy to install Sailfish packages. Libhybris is a compatibility layer for Android drivers to work on normal linux. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I had troubles with building Mer image for my device. In the video you mentioned it looks like the whole patch+Mer+ sailfish packages is this second prepared zip he flashes.

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daycrawler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aeppacher
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Quote:

Hey man have you tried yet? My laptop is currently being serviced but upon its return I really want to try this.
Dalvik vs ART? Go here, don't post in Rom/Kernel threads.

jabza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 531

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppacher View Post
Hey man have you tried yet? My laptop is currently being serviced but upon its return I really want to try this.
Not yet; I've been busy working with other things. Though it looks like we're in pretty good shape so far because the recent Ubuntu Touch builds have been getting doing some good work for Mer on the Nexus 5, so hopefully we can use that progress. I just haven't found the time to work on this yet, unfortunately.

Donate Bitcoins
The Following User Says Thank You to jabza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aeppacher
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Quote:
Not yet; I've been busy working with other things. Though it looks like we're in pretty good shape so far because the recent Ubuntu Touch builds have been getting doing some good work for Mer on the Nexus 5, so hopefully we can use that progress. I just haven't found the time to work on this yet, unfortunately.
I think SF is a really promising OS more so than Firefox is, tizen, and I think more polished than Ubuntu phone. I can't wait to start developing for it so I really want to port it when I get my laptop back. Nice thing is if you use Qt you can basically just write one app that will natively run on Ubuntu and SailFish

jabza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 531

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppacher View Post
I think SF is a really promising OS more so than Firefox is, tizen, and I think more polished than Ubuntu phone. I can't wait to start developing for it so I really want to port it when I get my laptop back. Nice thing is if you use Qt you can basically just write one app that will natively run on Ubuntu and SailFish
I agree completely. It's sad that it hasn't seen a bigger leap in development, but I hope that it'll pick up sooner rather than later. I was just reading earlier today about Qt, which is pretty nifty if you ask me. Hopefully I'll find some time this week to actually make progress on it.

Donate Bitcoins

aeppacher
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Quote:
I agree completely. It's sad that it hasn't seen a bigger leap in development, but I hope that it'll pick up sooner rather than later. I was just reading earlier today about Qt, which is pretty nifty if you ask me. Hopefully I'll find some time this week to actually make progress on it.
Well once I get my laptop back I will message you and maybe we can tag team it
The Following User Says Thank You to aeppacher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apelamod
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Nice..get it work!

Lähetetty minun Nexus 4 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
The Following User Says Thank You to apelamod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whippler
Old
(Last edited by Whippler; 11th February 2014 at 01:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Jolla is working hard on the android hardware adaptation libraries, here's official status about whats going on, its work in progres and might not be quite upto date.
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

source: https://twitter.com/HarriHakulinen/s...63017555959808
Jolla
History:
2004/12->2008/8 Nokia 6630
2008/8 ->2010/12 Nokia 5310
2010/12 -> 2013/12 HTC Desire Z

aeppacher
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippler View Post
Jolla is working hard on the android hardware adaptation libraries, here's official status about whats going on, its work in progres and might not be quite upto date.
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

source: https://twitter.com/HarriHakulinen/s...63017555959808
I tweeted Jolla asking if there was now an arm image within the SDK instead of just a x86 one and they told me that there is so that will take care of one major issue.