Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,344 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is better to buy

Tip us?

MooNWalker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocthird View Post
sailfish , firefox os and tizen are rather cool as they are open source and most of them support android apps , but i personally love android ui , and as i told you i could run hd quality games in very low end phones with android i dont know if it will be possible with these other systems , for google bliatware cyanogen doesn't have any google product it's you who flash gapps
IMHO Sailfish OS has even more cool UI than Android. Unlike Android Sailfish doesn't rely on Java VM or frameworks, using native code instead, and so is less resource hungry than Android. Applications can be written in HTML5/Javascript/QML or in native code, with no Java pieces whatsoever, allowing those "HD quality games" possibly running even smoother (though not by much, considering they're written in NDK on Android as well). As to Google bloatware - yeah, ROMs like CyanogenMod don't have it, but even without it Android is still encumbered by Oracle patents, according to the ruling of the Federal Circuit.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

pocthird
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooNWalker View Post
IMHO Sailfish OS has even more cool UI than Android. Unlike Android Sailfish doesn't rely on Java VM or frameworks, using native code instead, and so is less resource hungry than Android. Applications can be written in HTML5/Javascript/QML or in native code, with no Java pieces whatsoever, allowing those "HD quality games" possibly running even smoother (though not by much, considering they're written in NDK on Android as well). As to Google bloatware - yeah, ROMs like CyanogenMod don't have it, but even without it Android is still encumbered by Oracle patents, according to the ruling of the Federal Circuit.
i am ceptical , i doubt something better than android might exist , for performance native code doesn't always mean more performance as java version used by android if i am not wrong is java 6 which is optimized , for relying on frameworks it may be difficult to add functionality to the system without that , i'm getting excited for sailfish as it seems very androidish without android negative sides , now we have to know if android apps are running well on sailfish as its more software related because of absence of emulation (arm ) its works like wine on linux i guess

Sent from my GT-S6500D using XDA Free mobile app

MooNWalker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
i am ceptical , i doubt something better than android might exist , for performance native code doesn't always mean more performance as java version used by android if i am not wrong is java 6 which is optimized , for relying on frameworks it may be difficult to add functionality to the system without that , i'm getting excited for sailfish as it seems very androidish without android negative sides , now we have to know if android apps are running well on sailfish as its more software related because of absence of emulation (arm ) its works like wine on linux i guess
1st, there is always something better, depending on your usage, preferences, resources, etc.
2nd, while native code truly doesn't always mean better performance per se, it does generally mean lower resource consumption (no VM/JIT overhead) and lower latency, regardless of the Java version we're talking about. ART might change that in the future, but for now Sailfish runs smoother on single core 512MiB RAM Nexus One than Android ever had.
3rd, there are plenty other frameworks that are not patent encumbered. Like open source Qt that Jolla Sailfish team chose for their interface.
4th, how do you define "androidish"? As far as I can see it uses different interface navigation methods (much more gesture based and less dependent on specific location of touch), it has different architecture (much closer to "real" desktop Linux distributions), it has different APIs (HTML5/Javascript/QML and native).
5th, Android apps can run not only on ARM because Alien Dalvik doesn't work like Wine (which, BTW, can run not only on Linux). It's a VM, just like the original Android Dalvik. Except that whereas Android overall is just one giant Java stack running in Dalvik on top of Linux kernel, with even UI part being just another Android app, Alien Dalvik has to integrate with existing user space with it's own UI - correct me here someone who knows more about architecture of the Dalvik and/or Alien Dalvik.

pocthird
Old
(Last edited by pocthird; 28th May 2014 at 11:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
1st, there is always something better, depending on your usage, preferences, resources, etc.
2nd, while native code truly doesn't always mean better performance per se, it does generally mean lower resource consumption (no VM/JIT overhead) and lower latency, regardless of the Java version we're talking about. ART might change that in the future, but for now Sailfish runs smoother on single core 512MiB RAM Nexus One than Android ever had.
3rd, there are plenty other frameworks that are not patent encumbered. Like open source Qt that Jolla Sailfish team chose for their interface.
4th, how do you define "androidish"? .
androidish means beauty and freedom (plenty of apps also especialy launchers that i hope exist in sailfish) for architecture everybody knows x86 and mips are not well supported by developers there are few apps and games that support them , dont dream of running mobile apps on linux if you dont have an arm machine , emulation is just horiblly slow, correct me if i am wrong but running mer+naemo+vm is very close to android with dalvik vm (recouce consuming)

MooNWalker
Old
(Last edited by MooNWalker; 29th May 2014 at 01:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
androidish means beauty and freedom (plenty of apps also especialy launchers that i hope exist in sailfish) for architecture everybody knows x86 and mips are not well supported by developers there are few apps and games that support them , dont dream of running mobile apps on linux if you dont have an arm machine , emulation is just horiblly slow, correct me if i am wrong but running mer+naemo+vm is very close to android with dalvik vm (recouce consuming)
It is possible to get even Windows to be beautiful and there are (or were) plenty "launchers" for Windows as well. It is possible to make Windows look like Android (and vice versa). Does that make Windows Mobile "androidish"? I think not.

There are plenty x86-based (Intel Atom) Android devices out there, they are supported, they run mobile apps, they are not ARM, and they don't have to emulate anything, they just need to run a Dalvik VM. One of those machines even has a subforum on XDA - Dell Venue.

pocthird
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
It is possible to get even Windows to be beautiful and there are (or were) plenty "launchers" for Windows as well. It is possible to make Windows look like Android (and vice versa). Does that make Windows Mobile "androidish"? I think not.

There are plenty x86-based (Intel Atom) Android devices out there, they are supported, they run mobile apps, they are not ARM, and they don't have to emulate anything, they just need to run a Dalvik VM. One of those machines even has a subforum on XDA - Dell Venue.
many apps dont support x86 just look at android x86 problems it has issues with even popular apps like terminal ide or many video editors and games , for windows phone yes it would be relatively androidish if it wasn't closed source

MooNWalker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
many apps dont support x86 just look at android x86 problems it has issues with even popular apps like terminal ide or many video editors and games
Ok, list those apps. And then compare that list with the list of apps that work w/o any issues. Most of the applications will work on x86 without any issues whatsoever thanks to the fact that Dalvik VM allows them to be completely independent of CPU instruction set. The only thing that needs to be dependent on CPU architecture is the underlying Linux kernel (which is already very much cross-platform), some of the system libraries like the Bionic libc, and the Dalvik VM itself (or ART). User apps need to be adapted to x86 separately only if they use NDK instead of traditional Java. I had x86 Android running on my frigging netbook and had no issues other than poor graphics performance and the awkwardness of keyboard and mouse input on a touchscreen-oriented OS.
Quote:
for windows phone yes it would be relatively androidish if it wasn't closed source
Ah, but that's exactly what I was talking about: Android sure is more free than Windows, but Sailfish is even more free than Android. Android's code is (mostly) open source, but it's still encumbered by Oracle patents. Android's code is not developed solely by one company like Windows, but it is still mostly driven and controlled only by Google. Sailfish on the other hand is not encumbered by Java patents and is largely based on community projects like Mer. Remove the Sailfish's proprietary UI and replace it with Plasma Active or Nemo Mobile instead - and you got fully open system. In fact, the progress of porting Sailfish to other devices depends on progress of adapting Mer to those devices. In case of most common Android devices - adapting it using libhybris.
The Following User Says Thank You to MooNWalker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pocthird
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Ok, list those apps. And then compare that list with the list of apps that work w/o any issues. Most of the applications will work on x86 without any issues whatsoever thanks to the fact that Dalvik VM allows them to be completely independent of CPU instruction set. The only thing that needs to be dependent on CPU architecture is the underlying Linux kernel (which is already very much cross-platform), some of the system libraries like the Bionic libc, and the Dalvik VM itself (or ART). User apps need to be adapted to x86 separately only if they use NDK instead of traditional Java. I had x86 Android running on my frigging netbook and had no issues other than poor graphics performance and the awkwardness of keyboard and mouse input on a touchscreen-oriented OS.
Ah, but that's exactly what I was talking about: Android sure is more free than Windows, but Sailfish is even more free than Android. Android's code is (mostly) open source, but it's still encumbered by Oracle patents. Android's code is not developed solely by one company like Windows, but it is still mostly driven and controlled only by Google. Sailfish on the other hand is not encumbered by Java patents and is largely based on community projects like Mer. Remove the Sailfish's proprietary UI and replace it with Plasma Active or Nemo Mobile instead - and you got fully open system. In fact, the progress of porting Sailfish to other devices depends on progress of adapting Mer to those devices. In case of most common Android devices - adapting it using libhybris.
btw will sailfish support root apps ?

MooNWalker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
btw will sailfish support root apps?
Just like any other more "traditional" Linux distro, out of the box.