Is the HD 7 Second generation a worthy purchase?

Search This thread

olafolafson793

May 25, 2016
Hey I just stumbled across this thread because i was looking for a newer alternative to mine.
It is an okay tablet all around you just really need to know what you get yourself into.

First of all there is no working custom rom for it. So you will have to stay on Amazon Kitkat which is a very limited and at times annoying Rom since the menu takes too many taps to get anywhere. (3 taps to turn off wifi for example) and widgets that make it easier arent compatible as far as i have found even when rooted (rooting is quite the pain)

It also gets quite slow if you add the google play store from too many services running on it and you cant get rid of the amazon stuff without some things breaking.
For me i will switch to a quad core Tablet with a working aosp rom to be able to customize it a bit more.

Just playing some games or using it as a reader is does work quite well though. While the keyboard and launcher feel somewhat laggy at times, in games that aren't out of the cpus range like angry birds and clash royale it actually plays very smoothly.

I'm mostly switching because I can't change some things like the lockscreen and annoyingly designed settings menu and the laggy keyboard.
Also because i can get a much better/newer tablet for around 40€ around here and sell it for a similiar price apparently. It's okay for the price but you can probably get something much better. With a quad core if you keep looking/buy used on amazon where you still get warranty.

sflesch

First of all there is no working custom rom for it. So you will have to stay on Amazon Kitkat which is a very limited and at times annoying Rom since the menu takes too many taps to get anywhere. (3 taps to turn off wifi for example) and widgets that make it easier arent compatible as far as i have found even when rooted (rooting is quite the pain)

It also gets quite slow if you add the google play store from too many services running on it and you cant get rid of the amazon stuff without some things breaking.
For me i will switch to a quad core Tablet with a working aosp rom to be able to customize it a bit more.

That's enough right there for me to pass. Not to mention the slowness you mentioned. Thanks. I passed on that one.

jDeLaGray

Dec 6, 2013
I have this generation of Kindle and there's plenty of ROMS for it. I bought this tablet 2 or 3 years ago for $100, and installed a CM ROM on it at the time. I recently installed a MM ROM on it and it works better than when I first got it.

Reactions: sflesch

sflesch

I have this generation of Kindle and there's plenty of ROMS for it. I bought this tablet 2 or 3 years ago for $100, and installed a CM ROM on it at the time. I recently installed a MM ROM on it and it works better than when I first got it.

Thanks. Unfortunately the sale is over, but I'm still a little leery of this one. Could be ymmv situation.

Pix12

Dec 20, 2015
Hey I just stumbled across this thread because i was looking for a newer alternative to mine.
It is an okay tablet all around you just really need to know what you get yourself into.

Just playing some games or using it as a reader is does work quite well though. While the keyboard and launcher feel somewhat laggy at times, in games that aren't out of the cpus range like angry birds and clash royale it actually plays very smoothly.

I'm mostly switching because I can't change some things like the lockscreen and annoyingly designed settings menu and the laggy keyboard.
Also because i can get a much better/newer tablet for around 40€ around here and sell it for a similiar price apparently. It's okay for the price but you can probably get something much better. With a quad core if you keep looking/buy used on amazon where you still get warranty.
The one he is showing is the "tate" model that HAS plenty of custom roms.

Top Liked Posts