CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

The History of Flagships: Part I – Sony

Every OEM aspiring to conquer the mobile world undoubtedly releases its take on the so-called … more

XDA & New Relic Performance Monitoring [Sponsored]

In other posts we’ve raved about New Relic Mobile for monitoring performance of our … more

XDA’s Top 5 Stories and Videos for 2014 – XDA TV

Yesterday we talked about our favorite Xposed Mods from 2014 on XDA Xposed … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Has this post been helpful to anyone?
Helpful 1 100.00%
Sucks 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Help with root problems...

OP louvega

8th July 2014, 09:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
Ok, back again.

So, my situation is now this: The root worked, by appearance but somehow, it only seems to be a "partial root", for lack of a better description.

I have SU and Rootcheck Basic installed and it says that I have root, but I can't get the play store to work no matter what, and can't change permissions on the /system/apps folder or write to there when trying to copy the Google Play apk there (attempting to see if I can run or install it there).

And, IDK if this is relevant, KFFirstAide doesn't seem to be able to "find" certain folders and keeps showing errors such as: "The system cannot find the path specified. mkdir failed for /data/local/tmp, File exists" and "The system cannot find the path specified. rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory" for many operations during it's process, but overall, the operations don't fail.

For instance, the OTA updates seem to have been blocked, the ad services have been blocked and I was able to install Gmail.

Ultimately, any way to get the Google Play store installed?
8th July 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Ok, I solved my own problem but for anyone that might have a similar problem, it was definitely the fact that the /system and /system/app folder for some reason, wasn't mounted as r/w after the root.

Solution: I downloaded the apk, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t_system&hl=en , which is a "mount system as rw" app (lol - go figure!), and voila!! SUCCESS!

I was then able to install the Google Play Store! So, as I suspected the fact that it was r/o, even after using KFFirstAide to root was what was preventing me from installing the Play Store.

And here's another site that really helps, if you can't download any apks or are trying to sideload something using an alternate method using your PC: http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

tags: locked system folder, /system/apps, locked, read only after root, rw/ro, mount system, half root, incomplete root
Last edited by louvega; 9th July 2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: fixing link
9th July 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #3  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 425

1,746 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by louvega

Ok, I solved my own problem but for anyone that might have a similar problem, it was definitely the fact that the /system and /system/app folder for some reason, wasn't mounted as r/w after the root.

Solution: I downloaded the apk, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t_system&hl=en , which is a "mount system as rw" app (lol - go figure!), and voila!! SUCCESS!

I was then able to install the Google Play Store! So, as I suspected the fact that it was r/o, even after using KFFirstAide to root was what was preventing me from installing the Play Store.

And here's another site that really helps, if you can't download any apks or are trying to sideload something using an alternate method using your PC: http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

tags: locked system folder, /system/apps, locked, read only after root, rw/ro, mount system, half root, incomplete root

Neither user or system is r/w after root. You can do this in about five seconds with ES File Explorer. Just to save you some headache next time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
9th July 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation

Neither user or system is r/w after root. You can do this in about five seconds with ES File Explorer. Just to save you some headache next time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Yeah, thanks but... sorry to contradict you - didn't work for me. Had ES File Explorer installed and tried multiple times to reset it the system folder using the permissions (rwx, etc.) I'm convinced there's something new with the update but whatever.
9th July 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #5  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 425

1,746 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by louvega

Yeah, thanks but... sorry to contradict you - didn't work for me. Had ES File Explorer installed and tried multiple times to reset it the system folder using the permissions (rwx, etc.) I'm convinced there's something new with the update but whatever.

Just user error if it didn't work for you. Next time click on the words "Root Explorer" and select "Mount R/W and then select path, system or both.

The Following User Says Thank You to LinearEquation For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation

Just user error if it didn't work for you. Next time click on the words "Root Explorer" and select "Mount R/W and then select path, system or both.

Well, I might have missed it so, I take it back. Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread