Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 42,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root kf hd 8.9 1st gen 8.4.9

Tip us?
 
rege420
Old
#1  
rege420's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Root kf hd 8.9 1st gen 8.4.9

I have a kindle fire hd 8.9 first generation running 8.4.9 how can I safely and easily root it it's the 30 gig if that matters. I paid 400 so I really don't want to brick this thing I'm not really sure of the difference between the 1st gen and the 2nd gen but I know mine is the first gen because I bought it when it first came out and because the power and volume are on the side not the back

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
 
akb1ajay
Old
(Last edited by akb1ajay; 6th September 2014 at 08:53 AM.)
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege420 View Post
I have a kindle fire hd 8.9 first generation running 8.4.9 how can I safely and easily root it it's the 30 gig if that matters. I paid 400 so I really don't want to brick this thing I'm not really sure of the difference between the 1st gen and the 2nd gen but I know mine is the first gen because I bought it when it first came out and because the power and volume are on the side not the back

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
I also have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9.I downloaded latest update.bin file (8.4.9) from Amazon and updated my Kindle and later rooted it using the manual method described in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069117 thread. It was total success. Just don't miss a single step from that (MANUAL) method.
One thing is confirmed here, KFFirstAid can easily install Google Play after 8.4.9 update and the above mentioned manual method can root it successfully. I am not sure about automatic method though.

If there is any confusion in following the steps you can ask.
 
rege420
Old
#3  
rege420's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by akb1ajay View Post
I also have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9.I downloaded latest update.bin file (8.4.9) from Amazon and updated my Kindle and later rooted it using the manual method described in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069117 thread. It was total success. Just don't miss a single step from that (MANUAL) method.
One thing is confirmed here, KFFirstAid can easily install Google Play after 8.4.9 update and the above mentioned manual method can root it successfully. I am not sure about automatic method though.

If there is any confusion in following the steps you can ask.
Do you have the 1st gen or 2nd gen I think 1st gen had a different boot loader or something. I rooted my phone but I'm real paranoid about bricking this thing. I really can't afford a new one


Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
 
rege420
Old
#4  
rege420's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege420 View Post
Do you have the 1st gen or 2nd gen I think 1st gen had a different boot loader or something. I rooted my phone but I'm real paranoid about bricking this thing. I really can't afford a new one


Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Um I just looked at that and uh I don't speak or read German. Thank you but that doesn't do me much good

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
 
akb1ajay
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege420 View Post
Um I just looked at that and uh I don't speak or read German. Thank you but that doesn't do me much good

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
I have this one http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00C7BZ9O2/r...824891-4445818.

What is in German?
The Following User Says Thank You to akb1ajay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rege420
Old
#6  
rege420's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by akb1ajay View Post
I also have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9.I downloaded latest update.bin file (8.4.9) from Amazon and updated my Kindle and later rooted it using the manual method described in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069117 thread. It was total success. Just don't miss a single step from that (MANUAL) method.
One thing is confirmed here, KFFirstAid can easily install Google Play after 8.4.9 update and the above mentioned manual method can root it successfully. I am not sure about automatic method though.

If there is any confusion in following the steps you can ask.
This link leads to this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondbread View Post
I FINALLY am rooted. http://www11.pic-upload.de/20.06.14/76ibx7vqg6s9.jpg

I used some German guy's walkthrough here: http://www.dreamcodes.biz/text/?id=2152&s=read

The main problem was (as before): Not seeing the Kindle in adb devices. Don't ask what I did to finally get there after about 5 hours of trying every option under the sun and googling half the Inet. I installed way more drivers than recommended, especially google ones.
Install everything in c:\username\androidfilename; make sure the path is in system properties, constant testing (adb devices), making sure I have an adb_usb.ini with a 0x1949 in it, and the actual Amazon Kindle drivers are installed (I had to do that manually). Only when the Kindle was found I moved on to root and was successful first time. One happy camper here for sure.

Thanks Red for trying to help a blonde gal! Much appreciated!

So........... what am I going to do with my Kindle now?!
It's in German

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
 
rege420
Old
#7  
rege420's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by akb1ajay View Post
I have this one http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00C7BZ9O2/r...824891-4445818.

What is in German?
That's the same one I have

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
 
akb1ajay
Old
(Last edited by akb1ajay; 7th September 2014 at 08:28 AM.) Reason: spelling.
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege420 View Post
That's the same one I have

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
OK, the post you are talking about in German is post no 744 on page no 75, you need to go to page no 1 of that (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...069117&page=75) thread. Follow upto Root Step 9 (adding path variable) than use manual method to root. The main problem every one is likely to face is getting adb communication working so first assure that. Read a lot, clear every doubt. There may be some steps which can be confusing but I can help you in their clarification. I now have CM11 installed on my Kindle 8.9.

One thing for sure success DO NOT PROCEED UNTIL EVERYTHING DOES NOT WORK AS ACCEPTED IN THE METHOD.

The Following User Says Thank You to akb1ajay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Add Some Power to First Generation Snapdragon CPUs

Some older devices still remain very popular. Phones like theHTC Desire, Sony Ericsson … more

Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more