[EOL][4.2.2] HDX Nexus v2.0.5

Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Definitely isnt DRM it doesn't happen on the current version of this ROM or cm11. Also It never happens to Sony Xperia devices on losing Drm. Cant wait to try it if it were available to users that can't get cm11 or 12 due to their version of stock ROM. Could it be due to the resolution of playback?
I'm using nexus ss v1.01 In YouTube I'm limited to 720p however. If you were playing back at 1080p could that be the issue due to a different codec.

@ggow out of curiosity mate, is that only in the YouTube app? Or does it also affect YouTube through Chrome Browser and other apps such as Youtube Downloader?

Might help you source the problem if they do or don't exhibit the same behaviour as the YouTube app... (though you've probably already tried that, lol)

Hey guys,

I am hoping that after the ROM development I can make a new version of Safestrap for 4.5.2 which would enable you to use this ROM. I have used the stock boot.img barring modifications required for using the old bootloader I have installed on my device.

The youtube problem so far:
- I reset the cache and cleared app data for the youtube app. This made the problem intermittent
- On chrome, window mode always shows the problem, however switching to full screen the problem goes away.
- On the youtube application it now seems to work most of time, when it does occur switching from window mode to full screen mode or vice-versa seems to correct the problem. And if that doesn't work, if I swipe to make the video a preview icon then back to full screen it corrects the problem.
- Playing through miracast the problem is persistently there.
- On a plus side all resolutions seem to up 1080p seem to be available.

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Update

- I haven't fixed up youtube fully but sometime in the next week I'll do a pre-release for those that are unlocked.
- This will enable some testing to find out whether things like LTE are working or not.
- I have started work on a new version of Safestrap for .4.5.2. The the display is now working, as is all of the menu functionality so far which is good. This may take me some time as this has to be squeaky clean before releasing.

Last edited:

ja49902

Dec 22, 2014
Locked boot loader

Once things are working smooth will install with locked boot loader be possible

Here's a thought

Since cm11 is based on official .4.5.x sources and doesn't require an unlocked bootloader explicitly, Could that be ported to be used with the upcoming safestrap recovery?
Also during testing @ggow did you do any benchmarking on antutu, if you did is it possible for you to share screenshots? :p

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Since cm11 is based on official .4.5.x sources and doesn't require an unlocked bootloader explicitly, Could that be ported to be used with the upcoming safestrap recovery?
Also during testing @ggow did you do any benchmarking on antutu, if you did is it possible for you to share screenshots? :p

Cm11 could probably be rebuilt for safestrap.
Attached is some screenshots of new nexus ROM ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-31-22-25-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-31-22-25-54.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot_2015-05-31-22-25-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-31-22-25-42.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Screenshot_2015-05-31-22-24-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-31-22-24-07.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 284

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
Ggow,

This is awesome. Thank you for all of the wonderful work you do for us.
I know under normal build conditions, nobody would want to do this, but if it is possible to run safestrap alongside actual twrp, I do not mind testing the new version of it for you when it is ready. That way, I could help test with less risk to a system. I am running 4.5.3 and also on the older and unlocked bootloader, so I do not know if any of that breeds incompatibility either.

If that would help, I do not mind.

Thanks again,
Leko

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Ggow,

This is awesome. Thank you for all of the wonderful work you do for us.
I know under normal build conditions, nobody would want to do this, but if it is possible to run safestrap alongside actual twrp, I do not mind testing the new version of it for you when it is ready. That way, I could help test with less risk to a system. I am running 4.5.3 and also on the older and unlocked bootloader, so I do not know if any of that breeds incompatibility either.

If that would help, I do not mind.

Thanks again,
Leko

The new safestrap is being developed with update-kindle-14.4.5.2_user_452004120 and will work alongside TWRP as long as the stock boot.img is used. A modified version is required for the old bootloader which will be included in the new ROM.

Testing is going to be important before the new safestrap get's released so will keep you in mind :)

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Update: Files uploading

- Files are uploading - done
- Thread is being updated - done
- The home of the kitkat version will be here

Last edited:
Reactions: tbm13

ja49902

Dec 22, 2014
Have very high battery drain with this. Rom close to 45-48% is there a setting I'm missing or an app I can run to help this? Perfer to keep WiFi on if possable to get texts through Google voice.. Thanks

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Have very high battery drain with this. Rom close to 45-48% is there a setting I'm missing or an app I can run to help this? Perfer to keep WiFi on if possable to get texts through Google voice.. Thanks

The Nexus ROM is not to blame. In fact just the opposite. I ran v2 for many months and was impressed by its efficiency relative to other roms which are often burdened by vendor/carrier crapware. Nexus v2 is on par with cm10 if not better.

Use a battery app such as GSam to identify culprits. Google Play Services can have a huge impact with draws often manifesting under System and Kernel (thanks, Google). A misbehaving app is often to blame. Keep location services off unless needed (largely useless on devices w/o GPS capability). Take screen brightness off auto. There are dozens of other potential causes that are well documented across the net. Do your homework.

Last edited:

ja49902

Dec 22, 2014
Restore to Amazon os

Need to sell one of my kindles running nexus with twrp on it my backup of the original amazonos got deleted is there a way to download and install a copy of the amazon os and get it installed with out bricking my kindle

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Need to sell one of my kindles running nexus with twrp on it my backup of the original amazonos got deleted is there a way to download and install a copy of the amazon os and get it installed with out bricking my kindle
It's a rather involved process once twrp is installed and FireOS banished. You can't just flash an image and put everything back. Recovery and System partitions need to be repopulated with stock content. I would certainly unlock the bootloader first to offer some recovery capability should things go wrong.

To be honest your device is probably worth more in its current state than crippled with FireOS. To make it more attractive you could flash CM11 or Nexus v4 (after unlocking bootloader). Or just sell it as-is noting the bootloader can be unlocked. Be sure to point the buyer to the HDX forums for guidance on unlocking and flashing other roms.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I find the rom of 2.05 stable and work smoothlly.
Despite its 2014 JellyBean roots Nexus 2.0.5 was and remains rock solid? Be aware there are many newer ROMs for this device that are equally solid. The logical stepping stone from 2.0.5 is Fire Nexus which is KitKat based and has nearly the same look and feel. Post back if you want more details.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DO NOT FLASH THIS IF YOU ARE RUNNING SAFESTRAP - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ***
    *** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THINGS GO WRONG. ***

Introduction
    I am very proud to bring you HDX Nexus ROM. This is for both the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and 8.9" WIFI only variants and brings full AOSP functionality. This is for users with TWRP installed.

Features
    - Full Jelly Bean 4.2.2 AOSP functionality

Bug Reports
    - Please use the Bugs section on this thread, it will make it a lot easier to to keep track.

Fresh Installation
    - Flash thor-nexus-rom.zip or apollo-nexus-rom.zip
    - Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
    - Then flash any addons
    - If coming from any other ROM or Safestrap based ROM then do a factory reset.
    - Reboot and enjoy.

Upgrading From Previous Version
    - Flash thor-nexus-rom.zip or apollo-nexus-rom.zip
    - Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
    - Wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache
    - Then flash any addons
    - Reboot and enjoy.

Changelog
    - v2.0.4 -> v2.0.5
    Code:
    - CIFS Support
    - Clock retention/reset problem fixed
    - Busybox is now integrated

- v2.0.3 -> v2.0.4

Code:
    - Switched to custom kernel
    - Kernel is compiled with Sabermod 4.7 toolchain
    - Added the following CPU governors:
    	- abyssplug v2
    	- adaptive
    	- intelliactive
    	- intellidemand
    	- interactive
    	- lazy
    	- lionheart
    	- nightmare
    	- ondemandplus
    	- optimax
    	- pegasuq
    	- userspace
    	- wheatley
    - Updated security package ready for selinux
    - Updated devfreq driver
    - Lastest Amazon music application is now working
    - Latest Amazon kindle application is now working

Downloads

Add-Ons
    - Dolby Digital v1.2 for HDX Nexus >= 2.0.5
    - Dolby Digital v1.1 for HDX Nexus <= 2.0.4

FAQ

Q. How do I mount a CIFS share?

- make a folder in your /sdcard for your shares ( /sdcard/shares/ )
    - make a folder within /sdcard/shares/ for your CIFS share ( /sdcard/shares/nasdrive/ )
    - open a terminal app or adb shell into your device from your computer
    - su - to gain root access
    - use the following command to mount your network share to the previously created folder

Code:
    mount -o unc=192.168.1.7Data,username=<name>,password=<pass> -t cifs none /sdcard/shares/nasdrive

Finally
    - Thank you to everyone for your ongoing support and to everyone that made a Donation.

XDA:DevDB Information
    HDX Nexus, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_hdx_nexus/tree/android_4.2.2

ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP JDQ39

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.04
    Stable Release Date: 2015-02-06

Created 2014-08-02
    Last Updated 2017-06-01
    Update

Working on version 2.02

So far:

- Put a fix in to make most apps available in Playstore - this works for the moment unless our devices are again blocked
    - Fixed Hang on F1 App @rubinho
    - Fixed Auto-brightness
    - Fixed imdb force close
    Update

I am making a new version of Nexus ROM which is based on android 4.3. The plan is to have this running without all of the old amazon binaries. I have touchscreen, audio, wifi, bluetooth and WiFi working (No amazon binaries present at all). I am hoping that this release will also support LTE variants too. This custom kernel for hdx nexus rom will also serve as a platform to boot lollipop in the very near future.
    As many of you know HDX Nexus 4.2.2 is my first android project, so really appreciate everyone's patience and support with this.
    Release 1.4.1 comming....

Hey All, I'm gonna go for Release 1.4.1. The changelog for the next version is:

-----------------------------------
    HDX Nexus ROM Changelog
    -----------------------------------
    v1.4 -> 1.4.1
    - Fixed audio bug when using navbar
    - Fixed steering reverse sense on Need for Speed Most Wanted
    - Settings
    - Removed "Cell Broadcasts" Option
    - Removed "Phone Ringtone" Option
    - Removed "Power Button Ends Call" Option
    - Removed "Baseband" from Device Information
    - Removed "System Updates" Option
    - Fixed Crash on "About Phone->Status" Option
    - Changed text entries for from "phone" to "tablet".
    - Ported Camera App from KitKat
    - Ported Gallery App from KitKat
    - Ported Calendar App from KitKat
    - Ported com.quicinc.cne.jar framework from LG G2
    - Updated tzdata to 2014f
    - Include new wpa_supplicant from 1.4 release for Thor Devices
    - MX Player subtitles now show correctly
    - Call/Phone functionality has been disabled/removed
    - The volume control is now expandable

I now have no broadband at all at home, but will get the ROM uploaded via my mobile ASAP.
    Update

Thanks everyone for the bug reports and excellent testing effort.

So far this week, I have fixed:

1. Chrome
    2. Flickr's Missing Photos
    3. The white page issue with the old kindle reader app
    4. Have implemented changes (a lot of them) that mean I can use more of the AOSP libs. This has reduce the size and dependency on amazon libs. Ultimately reducing the size of the ROM.

I have started working on a revised set of libraries to get the media player hardware accelerated again. I have resolved some problems with it but far from perfect.

The problem is amazon's source code is far from complete and doesn't contain everything that it should. It's frustrating the open source spirit of android and support thereof is not been taken seriously by several large companies choosing only to release binaries. For this reason it will take me some time to solve some of these bugs (anyway rant over).

Thanks to all again for your patience and support. I'll resume in two weeks when back from vacation.