[RECOVERY] TWRP Recovery 2.8.7.0 - Apollo/Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes, it really booted into BULK mode. Did everything according to the instructions.
It turned out to be uploaded to TVRP! Thank you very much for your help !!!
Please tell me which version CM is better to install?
Recommend LineageOS 14.1 unless you need Bluetooth. Then Fire Nexus KTU84Q is your best bet. Nothing wrong with CM 11 / 12.1; however neither have been updated recently and are unlikely to receive further support. Note CM 12.1 also has issues with Bluetooth as do all custom ROMs that are not KitKat based. Kernel limitation.

Reactions: userlimk and draxie

opera_1978

Oct 8, 2016
Recommend LineageOS 14.1 unless you need Bluetooth. Then Fire Nexus KTU84Q is your best bet. Nothing wrong with CM 11 / 12.1; however neither have been updated recently and are unlikely to receive further support. Note CM 12.1 also has issues with Bluetooth as do all custom ROMs that are not KitKat based. Kernel limitation.

Thanks for the offer! Could you give me a link to download this image? Thanks again for the help !!!

hiitsrudd

May 7, 2018
Naabaho
hello all, I've been reading this and other related forums on this device. I have HDX (apollo) 4.5.5.3 is this device boot unlockable without downgrading OS? Any recent developments to this devices or am I stuck? I'm not really up to downgrading OS it sound daunting. Thanks in advance for your input.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
hello all, I've been reading this and other related forums on this device. I have HDX (apollo) 4.5.5.3 is this device boot unlockable without downgrading OS? Any recent developments to this devices or am I stuck? I'm not really up to downgrading OS it sound daunting. Thanks in advance for your input.
Any 3rd gen HDX can be bootloader unlocked regardless of firmware level. However, the process and associated procedures can be daunting if using a Windows based host. See following link for details. Post questions before trying something you don't understand. Very easy to put HDX devices in an unfavorable state from which recovery is difficult if not impossible.

https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-h...ing-bootloader-firmware-t3463982/post75284993

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

NOTE: You should unlock your bootloader.

These are patched TWRP recovery images for the Apollo and Thor devices only. Now Built from the latest .4.5.3 sources.

WARNING:
    - Be sure to have a working /system partition before proceeding with installation.

Installation
    - Ensure you are running stock firmware .3.2.3.2
    - Obtain Root
    - Copy the recovery image to the root of your sdcard
    - Flash the recovery image by issuing the following commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/signed-<device>-twrp-2870.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Download
    - Apollo Recovery Image
    - Thor Recovery Image

Thanks

- @vortox for the exploit
    Can you tell me where TWRP Recovery is stored and what the boot process is like? Is TWRP called by the boot loader instead of the Linux kernel and it will in turn then start the Linux kernel from your installed system?

What happens when TWRP Recovery is damaged? Is there still a way to recover?

And is there a difference in how TWRP is started as opposed to Safestrap?

Edit: ok, so I see that TWRP Recovery is flashed to the recovery partition, so I guess it's separate from the boot image. And pressing volume up + the power button presumably activates the recovery image rather than the boot image. Did Safestrap work in the fashion I described? Why are we using TWRP for recovery now instead of Safestrap? Are there any advantages?
    New recovery system
    - Allows for custom kernels (meaning, CyanogenMod, Overclocking, and other things)
    - Installed to "recovery" partition
    - Bypasses signature verification check with some weird thing about exponents of 3 and the cubed root of something. I don't entirely understand how the exploit works.
    - Called from the bootloader
    - If you're in a bootloop, hold VOL+ & POWER (I think) to boot into TWRP.

SafeStrap
    - No custom kernels (no CM)
    - Installed to "system" partition (no key presses can get you to here if you're in a bootloop)
    - Designed to provide semi-custom ROMs on devices with locked bootloaders
    - Called from the Kernel
    TWRP 3.0.0-0

Maybe this helps you (ggow) with developing and improoving CM 13 :)

- I have been testing Twrp 3.0.0-0 for a few weeks on Thor and Apollo
    - Looks good so far
    - Will release sometime during the coming week

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk
    Davey126, HDX aren't very popular models.
    Unlock of the bootloader has became available later than a year after start of the sales.
    Also it is not so easy for everyone to install custom ROM natively.
    Amazon updates can't be rolled back to use unlock. I'm sure there are a lot of customers which are absolutely fine running latest FireOS.
    The device is some kind of obsolete and it's not produced anymore.
    All these facts limit the users of custom ROMs. I see there are not so many users of custom ROMs.
    Also I'm the kind of person that will face each and every bug without any seeking of it. This was proved by several Android devices starting from 1.6. I'll never buy anything on Android anymore, Apple sometimes have the bugs too but there are no any broken custom ROMs and no need in them. My opinion is Android is broken by design. I'm happy that there are no any custom broken ROMs for my BlackBerry.
    I see that every new ROM that made by ggow includes some old issues which sometimes can be found reported by lonely user somewhere in a thread. Each ROM has known issues.
    Also I can see that ggow doesn't use HDX as a primary device anymore and he's not interested in development, these issues can't be unnoticed.
    Just to prove my words regarding the bugs in HDX TWRP:

- I share some of the same frustrations as you
    - It is unfortunate that the hdx unlock didn't come sooner
    - Amazon really went to town locking the devices down
    - I am interested in developing the cm13 rom further. However I have a life with multitude of things going on and going through. This isn't a job, its something I enjoy, genuinely passionate about and share with the community here
    - The HDX devices have been tough devices to develop due to lack of info or updated binaries and also my first
    - its a miracle anything past KitKat actually works let alone been bug free
    - to enable cm13 to run I had to use a mish-mash of binaries from various other devices to enable it to boot
    - It doesn't look like Amazon is interested in these devices and Amazon if you are watching this it would be great to see some kind of support in providing hal source/drivers, updated proprietary blobs for marshmallow so we can get a stable user experience on aosp at least
    - The HDX is still my primary tablet which I am still working on
    - I have been working on other Amazon devices like the fire phone and Amazon fire tablet which is fully functional and 99.99% bug free
    On Twrp recovery my device was faulty leading to the issue you mentioned- haven't had issues since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Update

New Apollo Recovery Image Posted built from latest 4.5.3 sources.

Thanks @p1gl3t for solution to boot new kernel.