[TUT] Disable OTA on 4.5.2 + Install GApps

Search This thread

Zavxda

Feb 9, 2016
- first need someone to cough up proper version of the needed files (or you'll need to do the homework to extract from a stock image file)
- if something goes wrong the device may not restart potentially leaving you with a soft-brick; factory reset will do nothing to help as it only deletes user data
- normal recovery techniques do not work on many Amazon devices and are notably limited on HDX models
Right technically the files I added replaced existing files that had the same name the only way to know what files I need is to compare the files I used to a unzipped "stock" ROM... And HOPE that they are named the same... I am pretty new to all this so bare with me, because I rooted the device does that mean the boot loader is unlocked too???

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Right technically the files I added replaced existing files that had the same name the only way to know what files I need is to compare the files I used to a unzipped "stock" ROM... And HOPE that they are named the same... I am pretty new to all this so bare with me, because I rooted the device does that mean the boot loader is unlocked too???
- rooting and bootloader unlock are different things; unfortunately, you can not unlock the bootloader on your device (would fix the problem)
- agree file names should be the same. However, few in these forums run FireOS. Once rooted folks tend to migrate to a custom rom pretty quickly
- none of my devices have FireOS installed; never ran any version above 3.2.6

Zavxda

Feb 9, 2016
- rooting and bootloader unlock are different things; unfortunately, you can not unlock the bootloader on your device (would fix the problem)
- agree file names should be the same. However, few in these forums run FireOS. Once rooted folks tend to migrate to a custom rom pretty quickly
- none of my devices have FireOS installed; never ran any version above 3.2.6
That's what I thought... Silly Amazon... thanks so much for your help! Ill let you know what I decide to do.

damianlph

Dec 22, 2013
So you finally rooted your Kindle Fire HDX 7/8.9 on 4.5.2
and you want to start using it but remembered that amazons updates kill everything, searched for a method to bypass it and fortunately found this thread.(You Sir are very lucky)

So lets start:
1. How to disable OTA updates
  • Step 1:
    Get a file explorer which has root access (I used ES File Explorer because it was already in the Amazon App Store but every other file explorer should work too)
  • Step 2:
    Browse to /system/priv-app/ and search for DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk
  • Step 3:
    Just rename DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk to whatever you like (Important: After renaming the file mustn't end with .apk)
  • Step 4:
    Profit! You can now access the internet freely without the fear of evil amazon updates

But you want to install apps on your Kindle so
2. How to install Google Play Apps
  • Step 1:
    Aquire the GApps for KitKat. Preferably here
  • Step 2:
    Extract it to your Kindle and copy everything except for PrebuiltGMSCore.apk, META-INF and addon.d in the similar system folder (apps in system/app folder go to system/app folder (the real one))
  • Step 3:
    Install PrebuiltGMSCore.apk manually like you would install any normal apk
  • Step 4:
    Reboot (eventually it takes a bit longer)
  • Step 5:
    PROFIT!!!! You have a fully working Play Store!

Edit: Sorry for not maintaining this thread for a long time (rl stuff) but after all I really recommend you switching to Safestrap CM. It's very straightforward, you have full Play Store and Amazon access and a smooth, nice, customizable and clean android. Also you don't have to worry about your device getting incompatible to the Play Store^^ or bricking your device by accidental updates.
CM is here and Safestrap is here. But before you do anything please read and watch the Tuts here, here and here.

Obviously i don't take any responsibility if anything goes wrong (even though this procedure should be pretty safe)
Step 2-2, Copying everything is too manual, too many folders and files, is there another way to do it more auto?

Thank you!

Zavxda

Feb 9, 2016
Agreed. Not going to happen as OP is now 369 days old and counting ...

Replacing core files (again) would be equally dangerous. Assume you are on FireOS 4.5.5.1, rooted with Kingroot and then ran into trouble. Best path imo is to completely replace FireOS (via Safestrap v4) which will clean out your personal data if done properly (there are ways to retain personal data but the update may not take). This is a modestly involved task that is not risk-free. Post back if you want to pursue or hang tight to see if someone else responds with a better idea.

The Safestrap route also offers the opportunity to run a custom rom instead of FireOS. Far better option if looking for Play Store access. Basically turns your Kindle into a very nice "android" device mimicking a Nexus 7.
So i have been dealing with this Kindle for a couple months... with no home button and the only way to access the apps is through the pullout side bar and ES file explorer/opening the app from the play store!

Today I finally went the savestrap route and flashed a nexus rom. Done in a matter of min and without any problems! I cant believe how nice it is to have a fully functioning tablet again that is not tethered(chained!!) to amazon!!!

Reactions: DB126

pistonrod

Nov 20, 2012
Waco
Never mind I rename SetupWizard.apk to SetupWizard.apk.old this is what I did
adb shell "su -c 'mount -o rw,remount /system'"
adb shell "su -c 'mv /system/priv-app/SetupWizard.apk /system/priv-app/SetupWizard.apk.old'"
adb shell "su -c 'mount -o ro,remount /system'"

For those who stupidly Factory Reset the device and lost Root (like me) you will have to install and run Kingroot in adb first, then run these commands.

1. Skip through Google Setup and setup your Wifi connection.
2. Enable ADB in Developer Options
3. Install and run KingRoot apk from ADB
a. Download from http://www.kingroot.net/wap/download; should be RushRoot-CafeUser-release-nolog-sdk-lc5F16405FCD186348-b220-svn373799-201609072045_signed_krsigned.apk
b. Move to your adb directory and rename to RushRoot.apk
c. Run these commands from command prompt
adb install -r RushRoot.apk
adb shell monkey -p com.cafeteam.installer 1

This should startup the KingRoot app and allow you to root your Kindle. Mine failed on the first try, so I rebooted and tried again with success.

You can now run these commands to disable the setup:
adb shell "su -c 'mv /system/priv-app/SetupWizard.apk /system/priv-app/SetupWizard.apk.old'"

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
For those who stupidly Factory Reset the device and lost Root (like me) you will have to install and run Kingroot in adb first, then run these commands.

1. Skip through Google Setup and setup your Wifi connection.
2. Enable ADB in Developer Options
3. Install and run KingRoot apk from ADB
a. Download from http://www.kingroot.net/wap/download; should be RushRoot-CafeUser-release-nolog-sdk-lc5F16405FCD186348-b220-svn373799-201609072045_signed_krsigned.apk
b. Move to your adb directory and rename to RushRoot.apk
c. Run these commands from command prompt
adb install -r RushRoot.apk
adb shell monkey -p com.cafeteam.installer 1

This should startup the KingRoot app and allow you to root your Kindle. Mine failed on the first try, so I rebooted and tried again with success.

You can now run these commands to disable the setup:
Assume you are running Kingroot via adb to avoid OTA update to 4.5.5.2? If so not really a concern as partial FireOS update downloads are discarded on reboot and Kingroot reboots frequently during root attempts.

Archangel1183

Oct 19, 2010
I know this thread is old, but I was finally able to root my HDX 7 4.5.5.2 and want to install Google play store and all the necessary apps. I've read that Safestrap loads over the FireOS and the first OS is still using up memory in the background. I don't know if the article meant RAM memory or internal space memory. Anyone know which one it is? I only have 16gb's on my HDX.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I know this thread is old, but I was finally able to root my HDX 7 4.5.5.2 and want to install Google play store and all the necessary apps. I've read that Safestrap loads over the FireOS and the first OS is still using up memory in the background. I don't know if the article meant RAM memory or internal space memory. Anyone know which one it is? I only have 16gb's on my HDX.
Safestrap is obsolete. Plan on unlocking the bootloader and installing CM, Fire Nexus or another custom ROM if you want to use Google Play Store/Services/apps on this device. FireOS v4 and GAaps do not play nice together.

https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/thor-unlocking-bootloader-firmware-t3463982

rohith.gm

Aug 24, 2013
Kerala
OnePlus 7
and you want to start using it but remembered that amazons updates kill everything, searched for a method to bypass it and fortunately found this thread.(You Sir are very lucky)

So lets start:
  • Step 1:
    Get a file explorer which has root access (I used ES File Explorer because it was already in the Amazon App Store but every other file explorer should work too)
  • Step 2:
  • Step 3:
    Just rename DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk to whatever you like (Important: After renaming the file mustn't end with .apk)
  • Step 4:
    Profit! You can now access the internet freely without the fear of evil amazon updates

• Step 1:
  • Step 2:
    Extract it to your Kindle and copy everything except for PrebuiltGMSCore.apk, META-INF and addon.d in the similar system folder (apps in system/app folder go to system/app folder (the real one))
  • Step 3:
  • Step 4:
  • Step 5:

Edit: Sorry for not maintaining this thread for a long time (rl stuff) but after all I really recommend you switching to Safestrap CM. It's very straightforward, you have full Play Store and Amazon access and a smooth, nice, customizable and clean android. Also you don't have to worry about your device getting incompatible to the Play Store^^ or bricking your device by accidental updates.
CM is here and Safestrap is here. But before you do anything please read and watch the Tuts here, here and here.

Obviously i don't take any responsibility if anything goes wrong (even though this procedure should be pretty safe)

Tried this method yesterday. Got the device (Kindle Fire HDX 7 ) rooted thanks to kingroot. After that i tried to copy each othe contents in the folders to the respective system folders. But while doing so, i kind of get into an unexpected low storage :crying: and i had to stop the process. So the result was that, i modified the system partially :crying::crying: . So i had no other option but to quit and restart the kindle. Sad to say that it is kind of in a bootloop right now showing "Kindle fire" (fire in orange). What do you guys suggest i do next ? Any queries will do me a lot of favour. i am thinking of buying a fastboot cable if it all helps. Any suggestions anyone ???

Feb 23, 2015
Tried this method yesterday. Got the device (Kindle Fire HDX 7 ) rooted thanks to kingroot. After that i tried to copy each othe contents in the folders to the respective system folders. But while doing so, i kind of get into an unexpected low storage :crying: and i had to stop the process. So the result was that, i modified the system partially :crying::crying: . So i had no other option but to quit and restart the kindle. Sad to say that it is kind of in a bootloop right now showing "Kindle fire" (fire in orange). What do you guys suggest i do next ? Any queries will do me a lot of favour. i am thinking of buying a fastboot cable if it all helps. Any suggestions anyone ???

Question 1: Did you unlock the bootloader?
Question 2: Why are you trying such an old method from an abandoned thread?
Question 3: Did you read the complete thread?
Question 4: Why did you reboot your HDX?

If you've enabled ADB before you could try connecting to the bootlooping hdx (this only works sometimes) and restore some systemfiles (which shouldn't be the case). If this doesn't work you are probably out of luck

Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Question 1: Did you unlock the bootloader?
Question 2: Why are you trying such an old method from an abandoned thread?
Question 3: Did you read the complete thread?
Question 4: Why did you reboot your HDX?

If you've enabled ADB before you could try connecting to the bootlooping hdx (this only works sometimes) and restore some systemfiles (which shouldn't be the case). If this doesn't work you are probably out of luck
With ADB (and previously granted permissions) it may be possible to derive sufficient information to unlock the bootloader. Otherwise, not much can be done. Fastboot cables are useless on this device.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: Sorry for not maintaining this thread for a long time (rl stuff) but after all I really recommend you switching to LineageOS. It's very straightforward, you have full Play Store and Amazon access and a smooth, nice, customizable and clean android. Also you don't have to worry about your device getting incompatible to the Play Store^^ or bricking your device by accidental updates.

Srsly, don't do anything below here. It's old and not supported anymore. Also before doing anything to your tablet: Unlock the Bootloader here

So lets start:
    • Step 1:
    • Step 2:
    • Step 3:
    • Step 4:

• Step 1:
    • Step 2:
    • Step 3:
    • Step 4:
    • Step 5:

I can't stress enough how completely ****ed these instructions are. This thread needs to be closed and a new TUT with current files and explicit instructions needs to be added. There are 5 different options in the optional/gms folder, and nobody has specified which will work for apollo, and which will work for thor. Until the instructions are explicit and squared away, I wouldn't attempt this method.

This is a forum, where unpaid people volunteer time when they have it available. People also move on to other devices & in low activity devices, especially ones that have been out a while, things just aren't going to get maintained all that often. Typically, someone else arrives to the forum & takes it upon themselves to learn & post any updated data. this is a developer website ultimately, not a Wikipedia like reference site. It becomes the duty of those still interested in the device, to update & add to the knowledge base.

At any rate, the gapps files that work for Apolo should also work for Thor & a bit of Google searching for gms versions would lead you to the discovery that those last numbers, i.e. -036, relate to the device FW version, CPU type & resolution.

* X defines Android version:
    0 for Android <5.0
    4 and 7 for Android >=5.0
    8 for Android TV

* Y defines CPU architecture:
    1 for armeabi
    3 for armeabi-v7a
    4 for arm64-v8a
    7 for x86

* Z defines DPI:
    0 for universal
    2 for 160
    4 for 240
    6 for 320
    8 for 480

For any of the HDX devices, you want X = "0" for pre-lollipop, Y = "3" for Arm 7 & Z = "6" for 320 DPI (although, the universal will work as well, but default is "Z = 6"(that is what Google will default to with subsequent updates unless the build.prop is modified), so you really want the version ending in -036.
    bah I tried that one and it didnt do anything :(

If i follow the described steps to enable the gapps [Thor], i've recognized, that the essential playstore-apk is missing.
    So i've downloaded and installed the apk and got one more step forward. The playstore opens but says, that theres no connection.
    So i've installed the xposed framework and the hdxposed module, enabled it in the framework and after rebooting the playstore works and i was good to go.
    So (in my case) some additional steps were needed:

- follow the steps as described in the start post
    - download the google playstore apk here and install it.
    - Install the xposed installer
    - Install the hdxposed.apk
    - start the xposed installer and download/install the latest framework
    - enable the hdxposed module
    - reboot
    - start the playstore

If you experimented with different packages or anything else before, i recommend to backup your personal data, do a factory reset and start from scratch!

This was the way, it works for me on HDX 7, FOS 4.5.2, rooted.

As always do this at your own risk! I'm not responsible for any unwanted sideeffects, data loss or bricking your device!
    File Permissions

Thanks for this!

GSLEON3 made mention of needing 0644 permissions on all the GApps files you copy to you /system/ subfolders. At the risk of posting something overly-obvious, I thought I'd add some explicit instructions on modifying those file permissions in ES File Explorer for those who, like me, are new-ish to this sort of thing. Hope they help someone.

Symptoms: Root and OTA blocking went fine for me, but I couldn't seem to get GApps running. The Google Play store just kept loading to white the closing (within a fraction of a second).

Solution:
    1. Once you've copied all the GApps files to the /system/ subfolders, you need to manually select *each* file one at a time in ES File Explorer to get a check mark on it
    2. Choose "More", then "Properties"
    3. In the Properties window, tap the "change" button for Permissions
    4. Set the file permissions to 0644 (Owner gets Read and Write, Group gets Read, and Other gets Read. All other boxes unchecked) and tap OK.
    5. Tap cancel to close the properties window.
    6. You can refresh the file view and it should show each file as -RW-R--R-- (visible if you change ES File Explorer's view to Small Detail).

Reboot and start Google Play Store.

Thanks again to everyone for the great info!
    Here is what I did...
    I downloaded the universal from the link in the op (Have used the 320 as well).
    I have bought root explorer, so it was easier (it allows two tabs of folders side by side. Es does as well, but root explorer makes it a tad easier).

Downloadt he zip.
    Extract it.
    Copy every file (besides those mentioned below)To the corresponding system folders.
    Skip... PrebuiltGMSCore.apk, META-INF, add-on.d, and SeculArists.apk
    When prompted, I did not allow any overwrites of files (those copies failed). I skipped anything which looked like it would change system defaults.
    Make sure permissions were correct by comparing them to other files in each folder.
    Install PrebuiltGMSCore.apk normally (by opening it in root explorer).
    Reboot.
    Open play store.
    It failed.
    Reboot
    Open play store

Success.

Good luck.
    ~Leko

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk