Safe to restore stock rom after root?

Search This thread
Jan 25, 2014
I screwed up my stock slot and was wondering if its safe to reset it as long as i disable OTA IMMEDIATELY after said restore?
I do not have any other roms on my device.
Bootloader is locked.
I DO HAVE SAFESTRAP ACTIVE (what im worried will screw up the restore).
I am rooted.
Yes, my device slot is beyond manual repair (system ui crashes with unknown error, libwebview crashes with missing index error, etc.).

Moral of the story: don't fall asleep ontop of your tablet whilst wakelock is active and es filemanager is open. :(

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
I screwed up my stock slot and was wondering if its safe to reset it as long as i disable OTA IMMEDIATELY after said restore?
I do not have any other roms on my device.
Bootloader is locked.
I DO HAVE SAFESTRAP ACTIVE (what im worried will screw up the restore).
I am rooted.
Yes, my device slot is beyond manual repair (system ui crashes with unknown error, libwebview crashes with missing index error, etc.).

Moral of the story: don't fall asleep ontop of your tablet whilst wakelock is active and es filemanager is open. :(
So you didn't backup your stock slot, i.e. you can not restore that backup via Safestrap?
Using an official Amazon file for this is quite risky.
Would be interesting if someone would've a Safestrap backup of the Fire OS you need - which Fire OS and Safestrap versions are on your HDX anyway?

Jan 25, 2014
So you didn't backup your stock slot, i.e. you can not restore that backup via Safestrap?
Using an official Amazon file for this is quite risky.
Would be interesting if someone would've a Safestrap backup of the Fire OS you need - which Fire OS and Safestrap versions are on your HDX anyway?

I'm using the built in restore utility (accessed by holding down volume buttons on boot). Not safestrap's.

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Do you mean: "yes, it's safe to restore" Or "yes, there is risk involved"

You will likely loose access to Safestrap recovery if you to a 'factory reset' from stock recovery. Even if it does work you likely won't get to a usable version of FireOS. As I recall adb and other forms of tethered communication are difficult/impossible with Safestrap v3 (you didn't say) so restoring an image captured elsewhere will be a challenge. There are reports OSX can communicate via adb in Safestrap v4. Haven't tested that. Would have to track down the post to see if it applies; need more details before investing the effort.

You don't have a lot of good options. Best keep reading. In your shoes I would NOT do a factory reset as it's an extreme long shot that will remove any hope of recovery if it does not work.

EncryptedCurse

Jul 9, 2014
I'm using the built in restore utility (accessed by holding down volume buttons on boot). Not safestrap's.

You should've clarified that you were talking about a factory reset. I thought you were just restoring a backup within Safestrap.
Frankly, I'm not sure it'll solve anything. A factory reset doesn't just magically fix everything; it will only wipe the /data partition, so any changes you made to /system will still be there.
If you can still boot into Safestrap, I'd try getting a stock system image onto the device and flashing it from there.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
You should've clarified that you were talking about a factory reset. I thought you were just restoring a backup within Safestrap.
Frankly, I'm not sure it'll solve anything. A factory reset doesn't just magically fix everything; it will only wipe the /data partition, so any changes you made to /system will still be there.
If you can still boot into Safestrap, I'd try getting a stock system image onto the device and flashing it from there.
To further clarify flashing any stock rom is risky in Safestrap. Best use one from here. Your bigger problem is getting anything, including an image file, on your device given you can only boot into Safestrap.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2014
To further clarify flashing any stock rom is risky in Safestrap. Best use one from here. Your bigger problem is getting anything, including an image file, on your device given you can only boot into Safestrap.

okay, so i figured out my version via build.prop and im running 13.3.2.5
is it safe to restore using the 13.3.2.6 file in the post you mentioned?
thank you for your patience. :)