[Q] 13.3.2.1 - Using device and securing Custom ROM possibility

19th July 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hi Guys,

i just got my HDX (7" - Thor) this week and was trying to get the Thor GAPPS ROM by Cpasjuste to work. Having found nothing specific for FireOS version 13.3.2.1 i went ahead and tried my luck with the "old" version of the ROM (thor-gapps-13.3.0.0-v2.zip).
Unfortunately i couldn't get it to work and am back to factory defaults. Which is good, since it's not a brick. So now i'm trying to play it safe and wait for the developer's magic to happen

i'm eager to play around with the device, but don't want to risk losing my chances of running a custom ROM in the future. i already own the first Kindle Fire and wouldn't want to miss the near stock Android on that.

So, finally, my question:
If i use the HDX Toolkit to root and disable OTA updates, i assume it will be safe to use the device until the bootloader gets unlocked or some other magic happens. Am i correct with this assumption?

Edit1 [2014-07-09 - 21:21]: sorry for the soonish edit, but i just prepared the device in case someone confirms, that it is more or less safe to use it with OTA disabled.
Upon disabling OTA, i get a few rows of "killed" messages in the HDX toolkit. When i first disabled OTA i saw that some services were being disabled or uninstalled. Is "killed" a confirmation that the components are already killed? i have already factory resetted, as i cannot find a way to do a full wipe. The result is the same.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by kobayashimaru; 19th July 2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Re-did "disabling OTA"
19th July 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 130

401 posts
umm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashimaru

Hi Guys,

i just got my HDX (7" - Thor) this week and was trying to get the Thor GAPPS ROM by Cpasjuste to work. Having found nothing specific for FireOS version 13.3.2.1 i went ahead and tried my luck with the "old" version of the ROM (thor-gapps-13.3.0.0-v2.zip).
Unfortunately i couldn't get it to work and am back to factory defaults. Which is good, since it's not a brick. So now i'm trying to play it safe and wait for the developer's magic to happen

i'm eager to play around with the device, but don't want to risk losing my chances of running a custom ROM in the future. i already own the first Kindle Fire and wouldn't want to miss the near stock Android on that.

So, finally, my question:
If i use the HDX Toolkit to root and disable OTA updates, i assume it will be safe to use the device until the bootloader gets unlocked or some other magic happens. Am i correct with this assumption?

Edit1 [2014-07-09 - 21:21]: sorry for the soonish edit, but i just prepared the device in case someone confirms, that it is more or less safe to use it with OTA disabled.
Upon disabling OTA, i get a few rows of "killed" messages in the HDX toolkit. When i first disabled OTA i saw that some services were being disabled or uninstalled. Is "killed" a confirmation that the components are already killed? i have already factory resetted, as i cannot find a way to do a full wipe. The result is the same.

Thanks in advance.

Never factory reset stock slot if you have run the OTA blocker the utility also has a eNAble option for the OTA blocker always uninstall xposed framework and modules before factory reset also .. Always returning the unit to as close to factory as you can before doing a factory reset in factory recovery. Otherwise you risk breaking your device.. If you look around you will find ways to do a manual update to a slightly newer firmware just not the newest and your ROMs will work.
Last edited by jimyv; 20th July 2014 at 12:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimyv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th July 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyv

Never factory reset stock slot if you have run the OTA blocker the utility also has a eNAble option for the OTA blocker always uninstall xposed framework and modules before factory reset also .. Always returning the unit to as close to factory as you can before doing a factory reset in factory recovery. Otherwise you risk breaking your device.. If you look around you will find ways to do a manual update to a slightly newer firmware just not the newest and your ROMs will work.

Thanks. i will look for the update method you mentioned. i might have already read it on Friday, but didn't think it would apply to my version.

i have removed everything related to modding before factory resetting from the FireOS settings. At that point, there was only safestrap left, which i uninstalled.

If i decided to stay on FireOS after all, until a better method comes up, is there a way for me to check, if the OTA blocker is actually working?
20th July 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 130

401 posts
Wink lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashimaru

Thanks. i will look for the update method you mentioned. i might have already read it on Friday, but didn't think it would apply to my version.

i have removed everything related to modding before factory resetting from the FireOS settings. At that point, there was only safestrap left, which i uninstalled.

If i decided to stay on FireOS after all, until a better method comes up, is there a way for me to check, if the OTA blocker is actually working?

It works. Just open settings go device,system updates ,check for updates, should fail immediately..if it stars to dl. kill wifi
The Following User Says Thank You to jimyv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th July 2014, 11:08 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyv

It works. Just open settings go device,system updates ,check for updates, should fail immediately..if it stars to dl. kill wifi

Thanks, i'm always scared with such new devices.
"Update failed". Perfect.
i got the Thor GAPPS working by now, so i'll try using that for now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread