Post Reply
Exclamation

[Q] I know nothing. Please Help?

4th July 2014, 04:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Hello everyone,

I apologize for making this the noobest posts of all, but I know nothing at all. I've rooted my Kindle once, didn't know how, didn't know why, or what I gained from it. I only wanted to be able for starters to change the hideous lock screen pictures, then the apps, then install google play apps and ended up with a messed up Kindle Fire HDX.

Passed days looking for guides to restore it, and everytime tutorials were expecting me to have TWLR or other things that I didn't..
I ended up doing a factory reset and removing stuff manually.

So now, what is my Kindle FireHDX Situation? It's version is 13.3.2.4 and I simply want to open it up to more possibilities, I want to add apps that are not original from Amazon, I wanna be able to access it and add files and docs and book that otherwise he wouldn't let me.

I tried searching for guides, and just got lost between Thor, Apollo, and who know what else. Also, I'm on a Mac and that narrows down so many tutorials..


Can anyone help me out figuring what I really want?How to obtain it?And what would be the best way?
My wife has an iPad and basically can do anything, I have a kindle and I can't even put an Alarm Clock on it!!

I wanna be able to use google play apps, access like with ES Explorer, and whatever else could be useful. I just find going through all these threads very difficult and for people with advance knowledge.

Can I hope for someone?
4th July 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
85 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonta

Hello everyone,

I apologize for making this the noobest posts of all, but I know nothing at all. I've rooted my Kindle once, didn't know how, didn't know why, or what I gained from it. I only wanted to be able for starters to change the hideous lock screen pictures, then the apps, then install google play apps and ended up with a messed up Kindle Fire HDX.

Passed days looking for guides to restore it, and everytime tutorials were expecting me to have TWLR or other things that I didn't..
I ended up doing a factory reset and removing stuff manually.

So now, what is my Kindle FireHDX Situation? It's version is 13.3.2.4 and I simply want to open it up to more possibilities, I want to add apps that are not original from Amazon, I wanna be able to access it and add files and docs and book that otherwise he wouldn't let me.

I tried searching for guides, and just got lost between Thor, Apollo, and who know what else. Also, I'm on a Mac and that narrows down so many tutorials..


Can anyone help me out figuring what I really want?How to obtain it?And what would be the best way?
My wife has an iPad and basically can do anything, I have a kindle and I can't even put an Alarm Clock on it!!

I wanna be able to use google play apps, access like with ES Explorer, and whatever else could be useful. I just find going through all these threads very difficult and for people with advance knowledge.

Can I hope for someone?

well done for asking. I'm no master but one thing i will tell you, is NEVER EVER, and I repeat, EVER modify the build.prop. In case ytou don't know what that is, it is the file that defines the whole device, in which the whole description of the kindle is. I modified mine, and to cut long story short- I don't have a kindle anymore. The easiest and safest way to root kindle is TowelRoot or VRoot, but be very, extremly careful. Once you root kindle, you can get Gplay apk and install it. https://mega.co.nz/#!hJ8ynBKI!aYGtlx...5apNaVcAktPmAk
Here is the link to mega. you can download the app and install it as you would with any sideload app. To do that you need to locate it using ESFile explorer which you can download on the Amazon market. then click on the file in downloads, and install it. viola.

INSTRUCTIONS (at your own risk)

Step one:
Since you have a Mac you can get virtualbox.It is hard, but it is doable to install Windows on that, or Linux if you are a pro. or there are apps that you can buy to run windows on Mac, which cost like 20 dollars I think?

Step Two: Get V-Root. http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot NOTICE: Many devs you MUST be carefull, so do so at your own risk. V-Root is kinda infamous. It works though!

Step 3: Connect kindle to Mac and click the big button on V-Root, which is a one-click rooting software that worked for me. For me personally, I didn't get it from first time, i tried numerous times. If things don't work, do not try anything by yourself, that is how I bricked the kindle. Follow step by step instructions. Really.

Step 4: Once you have gained root, get Titanium backup, and backup your files. But be extremly carefull. My personal suggestion, just get Gplay, SU, and a launcher to add to the experience. If you don't particularly care for custom ROMs, don't get them, stick on this one and be safe.

Step 5: Optional, but usefull. You should block the update websites from which the updates come from- but that doesn't necessarily do the trick, if you connect to someone elses wifi. http://androidcowboy.com/2014/01/how...e-hdx-updates/
this might be useful. now please, be very careful, if you don't know something, don't do it. Ask : don't mess with ROMs. Have fun!

ADVICE.
to gain a nexus-like experience you can get launchers, the best ones are nova launcher and apex launcher, they genuinely give an android experience. you can set them as ALWAYS so you never see that ugly amazon launcher ever again. you can also get custom lock screen, and forget you have a kindle, power of kindle- looks of nexus. also, even without root you can get some launchers, something the iPad can't. Just saying XD .
there are many apps out there, but be carefull with what you pick.
Clock?
Widgets? You can get all that in the play store- if the play store is there, it is going to be just fine in this sense.
Last edited by ferrouskid; 4th July 2014 at 07:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ferrouskid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
56 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonta

Hello everyone,

I apologize for making this the noobest posts of all, but I know nothing at all. I've rooted my Kindle once, didn't know how, didn't know why, or what I gained from it. I only wanted to be able for starters to change the hideous lock screen pictures, then the apps, then install google play apps and ended up with a messed up Kindle Fire HDX.

Passed days looking for guides to restore it, and everytime tutorials were expecting me to have TWLR or other things that I didn't..
I ended up doing a factory reset and removing stuff manually.

So now, what is my Kindle FireHDX Situation? It's version is 13.3.2.4 and I simply want to open it up to more possibilities, I want to add apps that are not original from Amazon, I wanna be able to access it and add files and docs and book that otherwise he wouldn't let me.

I tried searching for guides, and just got lost between Thor, Apollo, and who know what else. Also, I'm on a Mac and that narrows down so many tutorials..


Can anyone help me out figuring what I really want?How to obtain it?And what would be the best way?
My wife has an iPad and basically can do anything, I have a kindle and I can't even put an Alarm Clock on it!!

I wanna be able to use google play apps, access like with ES Explorer, and whatever else could be useful. I just find going through all these threads very difficult and for people with advance knowledge.

Can I hope for someone?

Follow these steps in this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53512259

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app
4th July 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsnshane

Follow these steps in this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53512259

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app


I had found this one but it says windows only..!
4th July 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrouskid

well done for asking. I'm no master but one... going to be just fine in this sense.


Thank you very much for all the info. I installed TWLR with ESFile and the GPlay file you gave me in the link. But nothing pops out now, how do I find google play files?And how about the SU how do I find that and what do I use it for?Any advice for the Launcher as well?
The rest seems to be working for now!
4th July 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Plus I just installed as per Cowboy tutorial Googleplay and again it keeps crashing saying that it doesn't connect etc etc.. I hate this kindle. I just find it completely useless..
4th July 2014, 11:41 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
56 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonta

Plus I just installed as per Cowboy tutorial Googleplay and again it keeps crashing saying that it doesn't connect etc etc.. I hate this kindle. I just find it completely useless..

Sorry I overlooked that you were using Mac. Did you install the hdxposed module?

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app
4th July 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsnshane

Sorry I overlooked that you were using Mac. Did you install the hdxposed module?

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app


mmm..nope!What is it?
5th July 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
56 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
It will allow you to connect to Google play store.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49609621
Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app
5th July 2014, 12:16 AM   |  #10  
jimyv's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 130
 
401 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
heads up
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786190

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9" Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank