Do I have an apollo, thor, or saturn?

Search This thread

KakunaRattata

Jul 29, 2015
Sorry if this is basic knowledge here, I'm just incredibly new to the kindle fire scene and don't know a thing about it. What I do know is that I have a kindle fire HDX (3rd generation) that's on 4.5.4 . The thing is that I want to root it, but there's no root out for it, so I'd rather just downgrade to 3.2.8 and upgrade to 4.5.2. I just have 1 more question: is the root tethered? That may not be the right terminology, but what I meant was, if the device dies, do I need to connect it to a pc to boot it?

I'm sure these things have been asked many times, I'm sorry, I just really would appreciate some direct help. Thanks in advance!!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
7" HDX = Thor
8.9" HDX w/2.2 GHz processor = Apollo
8.9" HDX w 2.5 GHz processor = Saturn (can not be rolled back)

Rolling back to 3.2.8 is risky. A misstep can lead to a hard brick (non-recoverable). You can find more info here. I suggest you wait for an exploit that will allow rooting 4.5.4+. HDX devices are unlike most other 'android devices'. Tough to tame and easy to brick. Standard recovery techniques don't work (eg: so called 'factory cables'). If you pursue tweaking be mentally prepared to toss your device in the trash if something goes wrong. A quick glance through the forums will provide further evidence. Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    7" HDX = Thor
    8.9" HDX w/2.2 GHz processor = Apollo
    8.9" HDX w 2.5 GHz processor = Saturn (can not be rolled back)

Rolling back to 3.2.8 is risky. A misstep can lead to a hard brick (non-recoverable). You can find more info here. I suggest you wait for an exploit that will allow rooting 4.5.4+. HDX devices are unlike most other 'android devices'. Tough to tame and easy to brick. Standard recovery techniques don't work (eg: so called 'factory cables'). If you pursue tweaking be mentally prepared to toss your device in the trash if something goes wrong. A quick glance through the forums will provide further evidence. Good luck.
    Sorry if this is basic knowledge here, I'm just incredibly new to the kindle fire scene and don't know a thing about it. What I do know is that I have a kindle fire HDX (3rd generation) that's on 4.5.4 . The thing is that I want to root it, but there's no root out for it, so I'd rather just downgrade to 3.2.8 and upgrade to 4.5.2. I just have 1 more question: is the root tethered? That may not be the right terminology, but what I meant was, if the device dies, do I need to connect it to a pc to boot it?

I'm sure these things have been asked many times, I'm sorry, I just really would appreciate some direct help. Thanks in advance!!
    Thanks for the reply! I think I'm gonna shy away for now, but I have another question, how do I check which processor I have?
    There are many apps/tools that can provide this info. I like CPU-Z which is available from both the Amazon and Google Play stores. Hardware info is displayed on the 'soc' tab.