Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,360 Members 48,999 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Did I buy a bricked Kindle?

Tip us?

Brovost
Old
(Last edited by Brovost; 20th July 2014 at 07:31 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Did I buy a bricked Kindle?

Hey guys, new around here.

My brother found a Kindle Fire HD 7" on kijiji and thought it would be a nice gesture to buy one for my mom on her birthday. So we split on it, it looked barely used.

Every time I setup the thing, the language screen/menu keeps reappearing. I've been reading and it seems like this is a common problem for "rooted" kindles that have been factory reset. That the issue is because OTA updates were disabled so it keeps constantly trying to contact Amazon, but it cant?

I tried like seems like everything but nothing seems to work. What's funny is that if I hit the touchscreen quickly after hitting the language, I can access settings. I went to check the version and it has whatever the firmware that was released in March 2014 (11.3.2.2). So I tried hitting the "Check for Updates" button, and it immediately says update failed yet I'm connected to WiFi.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

jimyv
Old
(Last edited by jimyv; 20th July 2014 at 08:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 127
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovost View Post
Hey guys, new around here.

My brother found a Kindle Fire HD 7" on kijiji and thought it would be a nice gesture to buy one for my mom on her birthday. So we split on it, it looked barely used.

Every time I setup the thing, the language screen/menu keeps reappearing. I've been reading and it seems like this is a common problem for "rooted" kindles that have been factory reset. That the issue is because OTA updates were disabled so it keeps constantly trying to contact Amazon, but it cant?

I tried like seems like everything but nothing seems to work. What's funny is that if I hit the touchscreen quickly after hitting the language, I can access settings. I went to check the version and it has whatever the firmware that was released in March 2014 (11.3.2.2). So I tried hitting the "Check for Updates" button, and it immediately says update failed yet I'm connected to WiFi.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

You might go hunting in the right forum if you are looking for HD this is forum for HDX LOL . Goodluck though http://forum.xda-developers.com/kind...32188449986279
Please Hit (THANKS) If I Helped You
It's Free
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~