Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,486 Members 42,243 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unroot and re-root to get prime music - good idea?

Tip us?

rootnooby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unroot and re-root to get prime music - good idea?

Rooted my 8.9 on version 14.3.1. In order to get prime music I was considering un-rooting, letting it update to 14.3.2.4 and re-rooting. Has anyone done this?

Any risk or downside? Is there another way to get prime music?

BroncoAG
Old
(Last edited by BroncoAG; 2nd July 2014 at 04:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootnooby View Post
Rooted my 8.9 on version 14.3.1. In order to get prime music I was considering un-rooting, letting it update to 14.3.2.4 and re-rooting. Has anyone done this?

Any risk or downside? Is there another way to get prime music?
I have an 8.9 HDX. I unrooted mine and upgraded to get Prime music and then used towel root to re-root and installed xposed. Had no issues and then I also unrooted and installed the latest update to get better wifi. However there is a rumor going around that a their is an exploit to unlock the bootloader that does not work on the latest update. Since I do not care about a unlocked bootloader I upgraded to latest firmware and re-rooted with towel root and reinstalled xposed and updated su binaries. I have had no issues and all google and amazon services work without a problem. Also, I had to leave mine connected to wifi after the firmware upgrade to get the prime music installed. I believe on mine it installed around 4 hours later.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kind...3-2-4-t2802320
The Following User Says Thank You to BroncoAG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootnooby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAG View Post
I have an 8.9 HDX. I unrooted mine and upgraded to get Prime music and then used towel root to re-root and installed xposed. Had no issues and then I also unrooted and installed the latest update to get better wifi. However there is a rumor going around that a their is an exploit to unlock the bootloader that does not work on the latest update. Since I do not care about a unlocked bootloader I upgraded to latest firmware and re-rooted with towel root and reinstalled xposed and updated su binaries. I have had no issues and all google and amazon services work without a problem. Also, I had to leave mine connected to wifi after the firmware upgrade to get the prime music installed. I believe on mine it installed around 4 hours later.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kind...3-2-4-t2802320
Thanks. I am in a similar position to you I don't have much interest in custom roms. Can you outline the steps you used to Un-root? Did you Uninstall exposed first and then use super su to clean up and un root? I want to make sure I get the steps correct.

All I did was root, install gapps, xposed, and play store.

BroncoAG
Old
(Last edited by BroncoAG; 3rd July 2014 at 03:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootnooby View Post
Thanks. I am in a similar position to you I don't have much interest in custom roms. Can you outline the steps you used to Un-root? Did you Uninstall exposed first and then use super su to clean up and un root? I want to make sure I get the steps correct.

All I did was root, install gapps, xposed, and play store.
I don't know if this is the correct way but this is what I did. I just ran the system update and installed the latest firmware. After the install the HDX is unrooted. I then ran towel root. After the reboot I ran xposed and reinstalled the framework and modules and then rebooted. After that I ran supersu and updated the binaries. Everything worked for me after that. I did not have to uninstall anything. Hope this helps.

I did not reroot until after I had verified Prime Music was installed. You can either open the music store and will look different and have Prime Music on it or go to manage applications and look at the icon. If the Amazon music icon is green it is the old version if it is orange it is the new version with Prime Music.
The Following User Says Thank You to BroncoAG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootnooby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAG View Post
I don't know if this is the correct way but this is what I did. I just ran the system update and installed the latest firmware. After the install the HDX is unrooted. I then ran towel root. After the reboot I ran xposed and reinstalled the framework and modules and then rebooted. After that I ran supersu and updated the binaries. Everything worked for me after that. I did not have to uninstall anything. Hope this helps.

I did not reroot until after I had verified Prime Music was installed. You can either open the music store and will look different and have Prime Music on it or go to manage applications and look at the icon. If the Amazon music icon is green it is the old version if it is orange it is the new version with Prime Music.
All worked well for me. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. All the best to you.
Tags
prime music