Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,905 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Reasons to update?

Tip us?

Wrw311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Reasons to update?

I'm one of the few that were on 13.3.1.0 and stayed on it by successfully blocking amazon updates before they went out. It's worked great for me and I'm a big fan.
My use of the tablet is to have access to both the amazon side and the native google side. Therefore any AOSP efforts aren't a big deal for me as I'm assuming that will remove all of the amazon content (which I want for prime and other).
With there potentially being a bootloader crack released to the public, I've hesitated to update and reroot via Towelroot. My biggest frustration with the tablet though is the inconsistency I get with the wifi and the newest update apparently fixed a lot of that.

So I guess my options would be:
- Stay on 13.3.1.0 and have access to a potential release of the bootloader crack. It would let me have options with potential ROM developments but again, I want both the amazon and google dual setup that I have right now so I don't know if that matters.
- Upgrade and reroot. It would give me the wifi update and maybe some other small updates and right now it is an update that is rootable. Obviously downside is that the bootloader crack doesn't work with the newest release.

I was just curious what others have done and if there's a particular benefit to stay on 13.3.1.0 or to update that I haven't really thought about.

rootnooby
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrw311 View Post
I'm one of the few that were on 13.3.1.0 and stayed on it by successfully blocking amazon updates before they went out. It's worked great for me and I'm a big fan.
My use of the tablet is to have access to both the amazon side and the native google side. Therefore any AOSP efforts aren't a big deal for me as I'm assuming that will remove all of the amazon content (which I want for prime and other).
With there potentially being a bootloader crack released to the public, I've hesitated to update and reroot via Towelroot. My biggest frustration with the tablet though is the inconsistency I get with the wifi and the newest update apparently fixed a lot of that.

So I guess my options would be:
- Stay on 13.3.1.0 and have access to a potential release of the bootloader crack. It would let me have options with potential ROM developments but again, I want both the amazon and google dual setup that I have right now so I don't know if that matters.
- Upgrade and reroot. It would give me the wifi update and maybe some other small updates and right now it is an update that is rootable. Obviously downside is that the bootloader crack doesn't work with the newest release.

I was just curious what others have done and if there's a particular benefit to stay on 13.3.1.0 or to update that I haven't really thought about.
I was in the same situation as you and chose to update to 13.3.2.4 and re-root with towel root. My main reason to do it was to have Amazon Prime music. I can't say for sure whether or not my wifi has improved since the update. It works well now and worked well prior to the update.

mjculross
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootnooby View Post
I was in the same situation as you and chose to update to 13.3.2.4 and re-root with towel root. My main reason to do it was to have Amazon Prime music. I can't say for sure whether or not my wifi has improved since the update. It works well now and worked well prior to the update.
Just one alternate observation: I am currently on 14.3.2.3.2 (with updates blocked by editing my build.conf file) & Amazon Prime Music is currently installed/active on my KFHDX-8.9, so you may not need to update to 14.3.2.4 to get Amazon Prime Music !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Montisaquadeis
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I had issues on previous versions of my wifi dropping out if it was sitting around for a while. I don't seemt o have those issues anymore on the latest update personally.

EncryptedCurse
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Personally, I'd stay on 13.3.1.0. In my case, I really have no use for any of Amazon's services.