[Q&A] [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3/6.3.4 and Flashing FFF/TWRP [2015]

Search This thread

sevenonesixotto

May 8, 2017
I am having the same problem as kfeder7. How do i flash FFF/TWRP? When i run KFU option 6 then option 1 to install Google Apps / Go Launcher EX it tries to download apps.zip and gives the error (Read Error (connection reset by peer) in header.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Roranna

Oct 24, 2018
Hey there! Didn't realize there was a Q&A thread til just now. Having some trouble following the steps. I did everything in the video save for using the kindle fire utility since you said in the post that google framework services had to be installed manually. So I tried to follow the manual steps, but when I tried to paste the three .apk files into /system/app it said I didn't have permission! There was also no option under "more" in ES explorer to change the permissions. Am I doing it wrong? Did I miss something? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hey there! Didn't realize there was a Q&A thread til just now. Having some trouble following the steps. I did everything in the video save for using the kindle fire utility since you said in the post that google framework services had to be installed manually. So I tried to follow the manual steps, but when I tried to paste the three .apk files into /system/app it said I didn't have permission! There was also no option under "more" in ES explorer to change the permissions. Am I doing it wrong? Did I miss something? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Es explorer is no longer the quality it used to be, I would try root browser.

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

bigb12792

Sep 27, 2016
Moto E5
So.. I have a Kindle model # D01400 on v 6.3.4

It only has a power button, so can't use the button combo to get to fastboot. I have Android ADB Interface as the driver, and I'm on Windows 10.

I've tried all the suggested commands on the first 5 pages of this forum and from the How To, to try to get adb to work, including Saferoot and KFU. Nothing is getting it to boot into fastboot, or recovery.

Theres no Dev options, or switching USB modes in the settings.

Is it possible to get it working, and rooted??? Someone Please help if possible!!

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
So.. I have a Kindle model # D01400 on v 6.3.4

It only has a power button, so can't use the button combo to get to fastboot. I have Android ADB Interface as the driver, and I'm on Windows 10.

I've tried all the suggested commands on the first 5 pages of this forum and from the How To, to try to get adb to work, including Saferoot and KFU. Nothing is getting it to boot into fastboot, or recovery.

Theres no Dev options, or switching USB modes in the settings.

Is it possible to get it working, and rooted??? Someone Please help if possible!!
Make or buy a fastboot cable

FHRacing

Oct 12, 2023
So whenever i try and do the ./fbmode command, it gives me a fail opening shift error. How do i fix this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Q&A] [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3/6.3.4 and Flashing FFF/TWRP [2015]

[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Rooting Kindle Fire Update 6.3.3 and Flashing FireFireFire and TWRP (2014)

Click link here>> (http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire/development/how-to-kindle-fire-1-update-6-3-3-t2814955) <<Click link here

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help

It is always best to use the Thanks button, in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

redLine.png

Please keep discussion focused, on the topic described in the OP
    redLine.png

[SIZE=+1]FAQs: For System Version 6.3.3 and 6.3.4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: Can the Kindle Fire Utility root a Kindle Fire 1 with system version 6.3.3?[/SIZE]
    No, It can not​
    [SIZE=+1]Q2: Can the Kindle Fire Utility install a custom bootloader/recovery on a Kindle Fire 1 with system version 6.3.3?[/SIZE]
    No, It can not​
    [SIZE=+1]Q3: What can the Kindle Fire Utility with a Kindle Fire 1 with system version 6.3.3?[/SIZE]
    The included install.drivers.bat can install drivers on a PC
    Once the Kindle is rooted, The Kindle Fire Utility can install Google Apps​
    [SIZE=+1]Q4: What can root a Kindle Fire 1 with system version 6.3.3?[/SIZE]
    SafeRoot Can [Windows/Linux/Mac]​
    [SIZE=+1]Q5: Can be used on Linux and Mac?[/SIZE] Yes see
    HI,:confused: in the stepvto putting on the last command (fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff-u-boot_v1.5.bin fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000 fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    ), stays loading and does not advance, what i can do in this case? even is loading, says: waiting for the device. and nothing happen, now the kindle not start and stays on the logo..:( and does not recognize my laptop or pc in Usb.
    How is kindle listed in device manager?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk
    That took care of it. Thank you so much!
    Help, I toasted my Kindle Fire!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, here's the details. I followed the steps from SDShadow's first post on how to root my Kindle Fire (6.3.3) and it worked great. Many thanks SDShadow! What followed was how I went off the reservation.

My purpose in rooting was to change 'mock_locations' to 1 so that I can receive GPS position over wifi and use my Kindle screen for navigation. Being focused on my end goal, I did not take the time to install Google Apps or FFF or TWRP. My mistake. Another thread (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19688907&postcount=1) gave directions to do update 'mock_locations', but as with others on that thread, I ran into permission errors. Unable to figure out SQLite3, but able to find the 'settings.db' using ESFileExplorer, I managed to corrupt the file.

Not knowing how to test the updated 'settings.db' in any way, I copied the corrupted version to my Kindle and rebooted. The Kindle never finished booting, and that's when I realized that I must have corrupted the file. But now I can't copy my backup file where it needs to go because my Kindle never finishes booting to give me access to ESFileExplorer on the Kindle. I still have adb access to the Kindle from my computer, but still get permission errors when I try to push a file.

Is there a workaround to upload my backup settings.db file through adb, or do I need a factory cable? Does the workaround involve installing FFF and TWRP through adb while the Kindle is in its reboot loop? Either way, can someone provide detailed instructions for that?

BTW, I figured out how to modify my settings.db using SQLite3 Browser on my PC. So I can actually upload my desired file, if I can figure out how. But if I could perform a check in some way, that would be good...
    best option is fastboot cable, but you can try some adb commands like
    Code:
    adb devices
    you will need adb files
    power off kindle, run command, turn on kindle, also can try
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    if you get one of them to work we have some options
    Thanks so much for the help. FFF and TWRP were both successfully installed by following the instructions exactly. I can now boot into recovery. Now what? Do I do a system restore, upload a new ROM? Can I push the backup settings.db by using the 'su' command?
    I would just install my prerooted 6.3.3.zip, wipe the caches, and kindle should be back to working, with very little changed.
    If you do a backup in twrp first, you can restore it if you lose something with my preroot.zip
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53652317

[2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk