LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] another boot loop post..

OP noobSaurus

11th August 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hey guys, before I begin, yes i read the '[HOW-TO] Before asking for troubleshooting help...' page as well as the '[GUIDE] Kindle Fire For Beginners' page, and am still in need of a bit of assistance due to my hilariously lacking knowledge of the workings of electronic equipment.

I just dug my kindle fire out of my dresser drawer where it has been sitting due to being 'bricked' for quite some time (stuck at the boot logo - white kindle text and orange fire text shimmering on a pure black background - holds a charge but is indefinitely at this screen). It is completely stock, having not downloaded or installed any ROMs or any other software, and initially began experiencing this problem the morning after running it out of battery while downloading a few books and games one night. I promptly plugged it in, went to bed, and woke up to it in this state that next morning.

I have tried downloading Kindle Fire Unbrick V1.1 by ZombiePiratez and running that to fix it, but it does not recognize my kindle fire. So, i downloaded Eclipse ADT with Android SDK for windows and followed some instructions i found for getting it to recognize my kindle as "Android Composite ADB Interface" in hopes that then the unbricking tool would recognize it and work its magic for me. But it didnt. I imagine this is because the process that I followed is flawed.

My question is, if i were to buy a "factory cable" would I be able to unbrick my kindle fire without having to do any of this command promp shamanism thats clearly over my head? Kinfauns states in his guide that "With a factory cable, unbricking just comes down to "plug it in and flash new stuff" in almost every bricking situation." But what does 'flash new stuff' mean; should I have picked that up from the guide as well? Or could I just use the factory cable in conjunction with ZombiePiratez unbricking tool to get back to the factory settings?

Thanks in advance for any pointers
11th August 2014, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 1,876

4,647 posts
Donate to Me
More
See my How to flash twrp and firefirefire with a Fastboot cable
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...17&postcount=2

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 07:41 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Hey @sd_shadow !

Thanks for the link to that, the videos you've created make it possible for even someone with my level of tech knowledge to work through this problem. Immensely better than trying to follow a written guide

Anyway, I finally got my fastboot cable and followed the steps in your videos to the tee, however I'm still encountering one small problem. When I get to the point where I'm installing update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip in TWRP by swiping across the screen, it runs until it gets to the line thanking paulobrien and two others but then promptly freezes (or so i assume since it doesnt continue on and the loading bar halts in its tracks). I decided after a few tries to just hold the power button to get it to shut off and then booted the kindle in normal boot mode - and it worked! - despite not being able to complete the process as shown in your video. But this concerns me, as I do not have any of the additional apps shown in your video (not that this truly matters to me) and under settings -> device it shows that I am running version 6.3.1_user_#####. So I have two questions:
1) Did the fff and twrp processes work, but the 6.3.3 update fail thus enabling me to use my kindle as a v6.3.1 device again?
2) Will it harm my device in any way (e.g. re-bricking) if I just call it good and use it as it is now?

Thanks for all the help so far
26th August 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 1,876

4,647 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobSaurus

Hey @sd_shadow !

Thanks for the link to that, the videos you've created make it possible for even someone with my level of tech knowledge to work through this problem. Immensely better than trying to follow a written guide

Anyway, I finally got my fastboot cable and followed the steps in your videos to the tee, however I'm still encountering one small problem. When I get to the point where I'm installing update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip in TWRP by swiping across the screen, it runs until it gets to the line thanking paulobrien and two others but then promptly freezes (or so i assume since it doesnt continue on and the loading bar halts in its tracks). I decided after a few tries to just hold the power button to get it to shut off and then booted the kindle in normal boot mode - and it worked! - despite not being able to complete the process as shown in your video. But this concerns me, as I do not have any of the additional apps shown in your video (not that this truly matters to me) and under settings -> device it shows that I am running version 6.3.1_user_#####. So I have two questions:
1) Did the fff and twrp processes work, but the 6.3.3 update fail thus enabling me to use my kindle as a v6.3.1 device again?
2) Will it harm my device in any way (e.g. re-bricking) if I just call it good and use it as it is now?

Thanks for all the help so far

1 yes installing TWRP and FFF reset boot, and allowed 6.3.1 to boot normally
2. the only problem should be that, when connected to wifi, update will redownload and try again once a day or so
Kindle will reboot to TWRP, but update should fail, if that does not bother you it is fine
3. what twrp version did you install? says in twrp if you are not sure
26th August 2014, 06:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
I installed TWRP v2.7.1.0-blaze because that is what you used in the video, even though i had read that 2.2.2.1 may be preferable for stock unrooted kindle fires. I did this so that I could follow your video exactly without having to change any steps except for switching otter to blaze in the cmd promt code I inputted.

Also, as I write this, Ive realized that I still may have made a mistake and installed one of the alternate test files for the 6.3.3 prerooted update and not the complete file itself, so ill get back with that info.
26th August 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Yeah, i installed the alternate test file the first time

Went back through and followed your instructions to the 'tee' again and its up and running.
I do have one more question though; when I am using the device I dont get very far before selecting an application or making another command causes the screen to go black, only displaying the time and settings option at the top and the home button, back button, search button, etc at the bottom - none of which respond when selected. This happens with both the go launcher and the kindle launcher, and each time the only way I can stop it is resetting the device... Any suggestions to counteract this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread