Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] bootloop stuck, can't fastboot, need case open short instruction

Tip us?

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lob455 View Post
Thanks @sd_shadow for the reply.

In recovery mode, TWRP reports that it is version 2.6.3.1

I did try the "fastboot devices" command. When I am in the initial FFF screen (blue & white kindle fire logo with "Press power button for boot menu") or I am in the FFF menu with the 3 boot choices at the bottom (Normal Boot, Recovery, Reset Boot Mode), the "fastboot devices" command returns "0123456789ABCDEF fastboot". I didn't make up that number. It reports the hexadecimal digits in order from 0 through F, followed by the word "fastboot". It is pretty apparent that this is not a valid device ID number, but it is reporting something. I just don't know what it means.

If I am in any screen other than those, the "fastboot devices" command returns nothing, and it goes back at the command prompt.
I press the power button, to show boot menu (Normal Boot, Recovery, Reset Boot Mode) so it will pause the boot process for 2 mins or so.
the "0123456789ABCDEF fastboot" could be good, I believe that is what i usually get, and would go ahead and flash twrp.
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-otter.img (or whatever version you are trying)
or try the reboot command
fastboot reboot
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thepooch
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1038
When in recovery if there is no adb my first thought is driver. Two other things are possible missing or broken shell or broken recovery. I myself lean to the side of it being a driver issue. Attach your working Kindle to pc while in recovery. Type adb devices it should say 12345678 blah blah recovery. If it does not then it's your driver.

lob455
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
I press the power button, to show boot menu (Normal Boot, Recovery, Reset Boot Mode) so it will pause the boot process for 2 mins or so.
the "0123456789ABCDEF fastboot" could be good, I believe that is what i usually get, and would go ahead and flash twrp.
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-otter.img (or whatever version you are trying)
or try the reboot command
fastboot reboot
@sd_shadow -- the "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-...." command worked, and TWRP now reports that it is running version 2.7.1.0 (it was 2.6.3.1). It was immensely satisfying to find a command that this Kindle seems to like. Seriously. Thank you.

My next stupid question is, can I use another fastboot command to program the ROM, or can I use some fastboot command to load the ROM on sdcard via USB and then install it with TWRP? If I can do either of those things, then I think this problem is licked.

Thepooch
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1038
Quote:
@sd_shadow -- the "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-...." command worked, and TWRP now reports that it is running version 2.7.1.0 (it was 2.6.3.1). It was immensely satisfying to find a command that this Kindle seems to like. Seriously. Thank you.

My next stupid question is, can I use another fastboot command to program the ROM, or can I use some fastboot command to load the ROM on sdcard via USB and then install it with TWRP? If I can do either of those things, then I think this problem is licked.
Just place a Rom on your Sdcard and flash it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thepooch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Try the mount option in twrp again
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.

lob455
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
Try the mount option in twrp again
@sd_shadow @Thepooch

Thanks both of you for your help. But not all stories have a happy ending.

Over the past couple of days, I have been fighting a battle with the battery. The battery charge level indicated in the main TWRP menu would decrease even when connected to the 2A charger. I found that I could temporarily add a few percent charge by disconnecting the USB cable, reconnecting to the 2A charger. However, that trick would only last for a few minutes and a few percent charge, and then the power button light would go out and discharge would start again.

I think that the battery is now pretty dead. Power button light stays off event with the charger connected. If I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect, then I can *occasionally* get the power light to go green then orange, and it will fire up into a FFF blue&white logo screen, but then it shuts off again.

At this point, I think I have to decide if I want to spend the $ for a replacement battery and then try to fight the rooting battle again. I was never able to get the PC to recognize the device in normal mode so no adb -- only fastboot would work.

Thepooch
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1038
Quote:
@sd_shadow @Thepooch

Over the past couple of days, I have been fighting a battle with the battery. The battery charge level indicated in the main TWRP menu would decrease even when connected to the 2A charger. I found that I could temporarily add a few percent charge by disconnecting the USB cable, reconnecting to the 2A charger. However, that trick would only last for a few minutes and a few percent charge, and then the power button light would go out and discharge would start again.

I think that the battery is now pretty dead. Power button light stays off event with the charger connected. If I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect, then I can *occasionally* get the power light to go green then orange, and it will fire up into a FFF blue&white logo screen, but then it shuts off again.

At this point, I think I have to decide if I want to spend the $ for a replacement battery and then try to fight the rooting battle again. I was never able to get the PC to recognize the device in normal mode so no adb -- only fastboot would work.
The battery will always charge in recovery. When it goes flat you end in a 5 second boot loop. Try 2 things since your bootloader is equipped to hand such things as a failsafe attach to pc via USB right when it powers on long press power button till it powers off and let sit for 24 hours. The low level charge might even kick in and indicate charging on the screen if so let it sit and it will eventually boot properly on its own. Good luck

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
@sd_shadow @Thepooch

I suspect it's the usb port that is bad, not the battery. The Kindle's usb port is weak and has a high failure rate, it can be repaired but likely not worth it, unless you know how to solder connections.