Convert my Kindle Fire Gen 1 to a android tablet w/google play?

Search This thread

wannab1

Jan 9, 2016
I recently unrooted my Gen.1 and got it up to date, then of course I came across a deal on a Fire HD. Now that the HD fills my amazon needs I would like to just convert my old Gen.1 to a android device. Is there a current working ROM with an idiots guide on installing??

EDIT: I went ahead and rooted it, so it does now have twrp. But everything else is a little Greek to me.

Last edited:

wannab1

Jan 9, 2016
Well I spent last night and this morning reading and attempting to install a ROM: SlimKat (unoffical) for the OtterX, no luck. Looks like a lot is out of date (dead links) and assumes I know what I'm doing. I really don't know what "system" I have and such. I did root my kindle and used adb last night but this morning when I attempted to install OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader access denied.

My end goal is to run one program (DashMeterPro for iRacing) from google play on my kindle, that's all it will be used for. So if there is a easier way to accomplish this just let me know.

I really don't know where to start now.... My Kindle has 6.3.4 software, rooted with TWRP 2.2.2.1 installed.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Well I spent last night and this morning reading and attempting to install a ROM: SlimKat (unoffical) for the OtterX, no luck. Looks like a lot is out of date (dead links) and assumes I know what I'm doing. I really don't know what "system" I have and such. I did root my kindle and used adb last night but this morning when I attempted to install OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader access denied.

My end goal is to run one program (DashMeterPro for iRacing) from google play on my kindle, that's all it will be used for. So if there is a easier way to accomplish this just let me know.

I really don't know where to start now.... My Kindle has 6.3.4 software, rooted with TWRP 2.2.2.1 installed.

[INDEX] Kindle Fire Development

Sent from my KFFOWI using XDA Labs

Reactions: wannab1

wannab1

Jan 9, 2016
Decided to go with otterkat since it worked with stock partitions.
Updated to TWRP 2.6.3.1, installed otterkat & gapps and rebooted. It did display the Otterkat boot screen but after about 20 minutes the screen was still black...... Not sure what to try now.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Decided to go with otterkat since it worked with stock partitions.
Updated to TWRP 2.6.3.1, installed otterkat & gapps and rebooted. It did display the Otterkat boot screen but after about 20 minutes the screen was still black...... Not sure what to try now.

what were the filenames?

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

guess I would update twrp to 2.7.1.0

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

you factory reset in twrp?

wannab1

Jan 9, 2016
otterkat-v0.03a.zip
gapps-otterkat-kk-20131119.zip
I did a factory reset but I don't think I did it exactly right before I installed the above files.

Not sure how I would update TWRP since I can't drop files into sdcard.

wannab1

Jan 9, 2016
I did a factory reset the installed zip files again & it works!!!!! Just you asking got me to thinking that might be the issue. Thanks again for your help!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[INDEX] Kindle Fire Development