[Q] Need some practical ROM advice

Search This thread

Lepha

Dec 10, 2014
So I have had a rooted 1st gen Fire for a while now. Mostly I've just used OtterX builds.

I love the ability to use the more advanced Android platform but to be blunt? This is unfathomably slow. Not only does it take forever to open even the Twitter app, the persistent power drain is obnoxious.

Are there any low-CPU use ROMs out there? Should I just go back to stock and then add Gapps to that? Could use some advice.

Regards,
Lepha

Ixthusdan

May 14, 2012
Mishawaka, IN
The latest alpha for slimrom is not slow at all. It does use more battery, as has every ROM I have used since Ice Cream Sandwich. You could stay with Gingerbread.

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using XDA Free mobile app

basenjidad

May 15, 2014
Marysville
Slimkat is pretty reasonable. I tried cm11 first. They both speed up after the caches fill, I suspect. I can't install Google calendar, something is conflicting, must be an Android thang.

luked3

Jan 10, 2015
Crown Point, IN
I've had the same experience. I've had trouble with games like CoC (screen doesn't always respond to a touch in important moments) in everything except ICS ROMs before I switched to Otterx. Otterx is great because I don't have to worry about storage running out and of course functionality is great, but in Otterx, the sound pops a lot, and there's trouble with plugging headphones in and out. (I've tried a couple different ROMs.) Linaro builds are best for sure so far. I haven't tried a Slim ROM yet. That's last on my list.

Are there any other ROMs that play CoC well and has the sounds working well. Almost wish there was an Otterx ICS Rom out there!