WARNING : Tested only with the 4GB version of Lenovo P780
Personal Plea : Please do not PM me for every little thing. Please post your queries in this thread instead, and READ before PM me. I will ignore you if your questions are already answered here.
What are these?
These are pre-rooted Flash Tool images for Lenovo P780 4GB. They also have TWRP recovery by default. Apps installed on first boot are also removed. They can be installed from the Play Store and those included are already outdated anyway.
The Chinese version also has GApps installed as it did not originally come with GApps.
What is VIBEUI?
These are MIUI-like ROMs created by Lenovo for their later phones (phones released after our P780). They were kind enough to port them over to our P780 but as of now only available officially for Chinese base.
The one I'm sharing below is new Android 4.4.2 based VIBEUI V1.5. They are BETA QUALITY. They are rooted, with GApps and TWRP, debloated somewhat like before. They also have Chinese radios. Flash a different one in recovery that you like.
In addition to that, framework.jar was modded to have minimum number match for caller id to be 10 instead of 11 (Credit to @C3C076 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2268120)
Note : Removing Lenovo Safe Center/SecureIT creates an annoying overlay that says "Security Problem" on our phone. That's why I left it in. You can freeze it however, the overlay won't show.
What are they good for?
These are good as backups. Or if you want to change your base from Chinese to Worldwide and/or vice versa. Or you have soft-bricked your phone. Or you just don't know which recovery works with your phone.
Why would I want to change my base ROM?
The custom ROMs you can find on the internet for the Lenovo P780 are meant for specific ROM base ONLY. For example, most of the ROMs from needrom, or Mobile Uncle forums (or even MIUI from the official website), are meant for the Chinese base. Most of the ROMs from Russian 4pda or lenovo-forum are meant for the Worldwide base. Flashing a ROM meant for the wrong base will cause your phone not to boot properly. Flashing a recovery image meant for a wrong base will also cause your phone not to boot. Flash with one of these base ROMs, then flash the ROM of your choice/specific base from TWRP. These images got you covered.
Where are they?
Chinese version :
Worldwide version :
How do I flash these to my phone?
You will need :
- Windows PC (Windows 7 tested, may or may not work with others)
- Smart Phone Flash Tool (get it here)
- Smart Phone Flash Tool USB Drivers (get it here)
- A good quality micro USB cable and a working USB port on your Windows PC
Step by step guide :
- If your phone is not already soft bricked, back up whatever you want. External SD card is fine. If your phone is soft-brick then say goodbye to your data and skip this step.
- Uncompress all the files you downloaded from this thread into a directory where you can remember. Including the ROMs.
- Shutdown your phone if its not in a bootloop. If it is skip this step.
- Open "Device Manager" on your Windows PC.
- Plug in your phone through the micro USB cable. A device will show up for a few seconds in "Device Manager". After that, it will disappear again!
- Recognize the device tree where it appeared, and wait for it as you unplug and plug in your phone again (if bootloop, its automatic!)
- Catch it with a right click as it appears! Then choose "Update Drivers" and pick the directory where you uncompressed the drivers you downloaded above. Its ok if after catching it the device disconnects. You only need to install the drivers now.
- Assuming the drivers are correctly installed, run the Smart Phone Flash Tool.
- Click on scatter-loading and choose the scatter file "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" of the ROM you want to flash.
- Make sure the checkbox "DL DA All With Check Sum" is CHECKED
- Click on "Firmware->Upgrade" button.
- Plug in your powered down phone via the USB cable again. See it flash.
- When a big green circle appears on the screen, your are done!
How do I flash a custom ROM after this?
First of all, always allow your phone to boot up at least ONCE after a fresh flash. Otherwise flashing from custom recovery will fail by some partition errors.
After that, shutdown your phone, then power it up with both up and down volume button press, releasing the power button after the screen lights up. That is TWRP. Happy flashing!
My signal has become very bad after switching base!
According to some Russian forum, phones from China has a different GSM module, and switching base may affect the signal strength since you flash also the modem image in the process.
Lucky for us, the Russians have us covered. Pick a modem of your choice and try them until you find one that works well for you:
Прошивка радиомодуля P780