Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,447 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MIUI V5 4.8.27 JB 4.2 for Lenovo P780 (Dual-SIM version) -:New Link:-

Tip us?

ifu
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Updated link is for 4.8.27 or 4.8.30...?
HTC Touch Diamond>HTC Touch Pro>Motorola DEFY>HTC Desire HD>SONY ERICSSON XPERIA PRO

stympy
Old
Thanks Meter 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifu View Post
Updated link is for 4.8.27 or 4.8.30...?

10basetom
Old
(Last edited by 10basetom; 14th September 2014 at 05:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Unhappy Think my phone is bricked :(

I guys, I followed the instructions in post #1 exactly, double-checking every step. However, after rebooting from CWM my phone is now just showing a black screen (I know it's not turned off because the LCD backlight is on). I have a P780 international model (ROW) with 4GB. My previous ROM before doing this update was VIBEUI ("P780_4.4.2_MultiLang_Gapps_Root_baralajbi_V7_For Flashtool.7z" from http://www.needrom.com/download/rom-android-4-4-2/).

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can help me get MIUI installed on this phone. Thanks!

stympy
Old
Thanks Meter 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10basetom View Post
I guys, I followed the instructions in post #1 exactly, double-checking every step. However, after rebooting from CWM my phone is now just showing a black screen (I know it's not turned off because the LCD backlight is on). I have a P780 international model (ROW) with 4GB. My previous ROM before doing this update was VIBEUI ("P780_4.4.2_MultiLang_Gapps_Root_baralajbi_V7_For Flashtool.7z" from http://www.needrom.com/download/rom-android-4-4-2/).

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can help me get MIUI installed on this phone. Thanks!
Hi. Go to recovery again and reflash the zip. Do not wipe anything after you reflash zip file. Reboot. Wait and see what is going on.

Sent from my Lenovo P780

ganapathyraman_s
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:

There may be other ways but my recommendation is to flash Life ROM with TWRP built in and flash MIUI ROM after clean wipe.You may back up your Apps+Data using Titanium and retrieve.

10basetom
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganapathyraman_s View Post
There may be other ways but my recommendation is to flash Life ROM with TWRP built in and flash MIUI ROM after clean wipe.You may back up your Apps+Data using Titanium and retrieve.
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was able to successfully recover by reflashing my previous CFW. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the better of me, as I went on to try out other ROMs and finally bricked my phone for good (by overriding the preloader image with an incompatible one I guess). For those of you who also want to brick your phone, you can follow these steps:
  1. Go to http://www.needrom.com/download/p780...android-4-4-2/
  2. Download P780 S223 4GB KIT KAT (or the 8GB version if you have a 8GB phone)
  3. Start the SP Flash Tool and load the scatter file from this ROM
  4. Check preloader.img and click the upgrade firmware button

Voila! Your phone is now officially bricked ^^. I know there are ways to revive this phone, but since I have had very good mileage out of it for over a year now and plan to upgrade to a new flagship phone anyway, I don't think it's worth my while to pursue these options. What I plan to do instead is to try a drop test on this phone -- from the 6th floor . I will record the drop test and share the link sometime this week. We have a bet going at the office to see who can guess how many pieces it will break into. One colleague guessed 3 pieces -- LOL I think he's going to lose big time.

stympy
Old
(Last edited by stympy; 15th September 2014 at 06:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 221
Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was able to successfully recover by reflashing my previous CFW. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the better of me, as I went on to try out other ROMs and finally bricked my phone for good (by overriding the preloader image with an incompatible one I guess). For those of you who also want to brick your phone, you can follow these steps:
  1. Go to http://www.needrom.com/download/p780...android-4-4-2/
  2. Download P780 S223 4GB KIT KAT (or the 8GB version if you have a 8GB phone)
  3. Start the SP Flash Tool and load the scatter file from this ROM
  4. Check preloader.img and click the upgrade firmware button

Voila! Your phone is now officially bricked ^^. I know there are ways to revive this phone, but since I have had very good mileage out of it for over a year now and plan to upgrade to a new flagship phone anyway, I don't think it's worth my while to pursue these options. What I plan to do instead is to try a drop test on this phone -- from the 6th floor . I will record the drop test and share the link sometime this week. We have a bet going at the office to see who can guess how many pieces it will break into. One colleague guessed 3 pieces -- LOL I think he's going to lose big time.
I think you should revive your phone and make a child happy! In stead of doing a drop test, take a happy child test ! install a few games and make a gift to a child who can't afford one, for this christmas.

10basetom
Old
(Last edited by 10basetom; 17th September 2014 at 07:46 PM.) Reason: Forgot an important step.
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stympy View Post
I think you should revive your phone and make a child happy! In stead of doing a drop test, take a happy child test ! install a few games and make a gift to a child who can't afford one, for this christmas.
I took what you said to heart and spent some more effort to revive my poor P780. I'm happy to report that I was finally able to bring the P780 back from the dead, and it wasn't even that much of a hassle. I'll outline the exact steps I took to unbrick my phone in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation:

1. Download SP Flash Tool and the "P780_4.4.2_MultiLang_Gapps_Root_baralajbi_V7_ForF lashtool" ROM from http://www.needrom.com/download/rom-android-4-4-2/ (I suppose you can download any other ROM that is known to work with your phone in the past).

2. Install the MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port driver from the SP Flash Tool directory (not sure if this was necessary, but I also installed the MediaTek DA USB VCOM Port driver).

3. Execute the SP Flash Tool and check the "DA DL All With Check Sum" option (make sure your phone is not connected to your PC at this stage).

4. Click the 'Scatter-loading' button and load the MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt file in the ROM directory.

5. Click the Format button and check the "Validation" option. Keep the default selections (Auto Format Flash - Format whole flash except Bootloader) and click OK. (I'm not sure if this step is required, but it worked for me.)

6. Connect the phone to the PC with the USB cable. If the format operation begins then you're on the right track. When the formatting is done you will see a green circle (it should just take just a few seconds). Unplug the USB cable before you proceed to the next step.

7. Uncheck everything _except_ PRELOADER and click the Download button.

8. Hold down Volume + and Power buttons (not sure if this was necessary but it's what I did to make it work) and plug in the USB cable again.

9. If you see the progress bar change from red to purple to yellow, then you have a reason to be optimistic. When the preloader flashing is done, the green circle will pop up; at this stage, unplug the phone from the PC.

10. Now tick every checkbox _except_ PRELOADER (make sure it's unchecked) and click the Download button.

11. Plug in the phone's USB cable again. The progress bar should change from red to yellow to gray while the rest of the ROM images are being flashed. When it's done you will see the green circle of happiness (or relief).

12. Unplug the USB cable and power up your phone. You should see signs of life from the newly installed OS .

Enjoy!

Credit where it's due: I got most of my information from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2479695&page=2
My phone evolution:
Nokia 6120 > Nokia 6800 > HTC PPC-6700 > HTC PPC-6800 > Motorola V300 > Motorola RAZR2 V8 > Neonode N2 > Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini pro > Nokia N9 > iPhone 4 > iPhone 5 > Samsung Galaxy Note II > Lenovo P780 > Lenovo K900
The Following User Says Thank You to 10basetom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stympy
Old
Thanks Meter 221
Quote:
I took what you said to heart and spent some more effort to revive my poor P780. I'm happy to report that I was finally able to bring the P780 back from the dead, and it wasn't even that much of a hassle. I'll outline the exact steps I took to unbrick my phone in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation:

1. Download SP Flash Tool and the "P780_4.4.2_MultiLang_Gapps_Root_baralajbi_V7_ForF lashtool" ROM from http://www.needrom.com/download/rom-android-4-4-2/ (I suppose you can download any other ROM that is known to work with your phone in the past).

2. Install the MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port driver from the SP Flash Tool directory (not sure if this was necessary, but I also installed the MediaTek DA USB VCOM Port driver).

3. Execute the SP Flash Tool and check the "DA DL All With Check Sum" option (make sure your phone is not connected to your PC at this stage).

4. Click the 'Scatter-loading' button and load the MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt file in the ROM directory.

5. Uncheck everything _except_ PRELOADER and click the Download button.

6. Hold down Volume + and Power buttons (not sure if this was necessary but it's what I did to make it work) and plug in the USB cable to connect the phone to the PC.

7. If you see the progress bar change from red to purple to yellow, then you're on the right track. When the preloader flashing is done, a green circle will pop up; at this stage, unplug the phone from the PC.

8. Now tick every checkbox _except_ PRELOADER (make sure it's unchecked) and click the Download button.

9. Plug in the phone's USB cable again. The progress bar should change from red to yellow to gray while the rest of the ROM images are being flashed. When it's done you will see the green circle of happiness (or relief).

10. Unplug the USB cable and power up your phone. You should see signs of life from the newly installed OS .

Enjoy!

Credit where it's due: I got most of my information from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2479695&page=2
Well done. And thank you for your very nice and usefull tutorial.

Tags
lenovo p780, lenovo p780 custom rom, miui