Originally Posted by stympy
I think you should revive your phone and make a child happy! In stead of doing a drop test, take a happy child test ! install a few games and make a gift to a child who can't afford one, for this christmas.
I took what you said to heart and spent some more effort to revive my poor P780. I'm happy to report that I was finally able to bring the P780 back from the dead, and it wasn't even that much of a hassle. I'll outline the exact steps I took to unbrick my phone in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation:
1. Download SP Flash Tool and the "P780_4.4.2_MultiLang_Gapps_Root_baralajbi_V7_ForF lashtool" ROM from http://www.needrom.com/download/rom-android-4-4-2/
(I suppose you can download any other ROM that is known to work with your phone in the past).
2. Install the MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port driver from the SP Flash Tool directory (not sure if this was necessary, but I also installed the MediaTek DA USB VCOM Port driver).
3. Execute the SP Flash Tool and check the "DA DL All With Check Sum" option (make sure your phone is not connected to your PC at this stage).
4. Click the 'Scatter-loading' button and load the MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt file in the ROM directory.
5. Click the Format button and check the "Validation" option. Keep the default selections (Auto Format Flash - Format whole flash except Bootloader) and click OK. (I'm not sure if this step is required, but it worked for me.)
6. Connect the phone to the PC with the USB cable. If the format operation begins then you're on the right track. When the formatting is done you will see a green circle (it should just take just a few seconds). Unplug the USB cable before you proceed to the next step.
7. Uncheck everything _except_ PRELOADER and click the Download button.
8. Hold down Volume + and Power buttons (not sure if this was necessary but it's what I did to make it work) and plug in the USB cable again.
9. If you see the progress bar change from red to purple to yellow, then you have a reason to be optimistic. When the preloader flashing is done, the green circle will pop up; at this stage, unplug the phone from the PC.
10. Now tick every checkbox _except_ PRELOADER (make sure it's unchecked) and click the Download button.
11. Plug in the phone's USB cable again. The progress bar should change from red to yellow to gray while the rest of the ROM images are being flashed. When it's done you will see the green circle of happiness (or relief).
12. Unplug the USB cable and power up your phone. You should see signs of life from the newly installed OS
Credit where it's due: I got most of my information from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2479695&page=2