FORUMS

How a HTC Droid Eris Changed a Members Life

Rarely can a member say that Android development or XDA had a profound effect on … more

XDA Office Space: Frankenstein’s Perfect IM Client?

The portal’s decentralized XDA office lies in a Hangouts chatroom, where … more

Which IM Client on Android is best?

With so many different messengers to choose from, it can be tough to find the best one for you and … more

Android Factory Reset Security Flaw and More – XDA TV

Nvidia is releasing a 500Gb SHIELD TV Pro! That and much more news is … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

MIUIv5 for Lenovo P780

26th March 2014, 11:50 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello everyone!
There's an official port of MIUIv5 for our P780 which can be found here.
It needs the Chinese base and not the International one, which means you need to have a Chinese stock ROM before flashing MIUI (flashing over the international stock rom ended in a bootloop for me).

I installed it a week ago and so far it's working flawlessly with a minor issue with the CSipSimple application (opening the Settings dialog causes FC). Didn't find any other bugs, running smooth on the P780 4GB version.

***BEFORE YOU CONTINUE***
Please note, I'm just sharing my own experience with the community, hoping this would be useful to someone.
I don't take any responsibility for any damage to your devices should you decide to follow the steps below!
What you do with the content of this thread is your own responsibility.
The external links are property of their respective authors and all credits go to them. Show your support by hitting the "Thanks" button in the bottom left corner of the respective post.

What I've done to run MIUI on the Lenovo P780 (4GB):

I. Backup
Since my phone came pre-rooted I didn't have to do it on my own. There's a good guide for rooting here. VibeROM can't be rooted via framaroot, so you'll have to find another way if you're running it and don't have root.
Download Mobileuncle Tools and backup your IMEI. I suggest keeping it somewhere safe in case of trouble.
Download MtK Droid Tools and backup your whole current ROM (takes a while) so you can flash it back with SmartPhone Flashtool later on if you decide.

II. Flash Chinese stock ROM
Download the Chinese S135 base stock rom along with the drivers and the flash tool from here and flash the S135 following the instructions provided.
Let the phone boot at least once. Copy the MIUI zip on the phone.

III. Flash MIUI
Reboot into recovery (shutdown the phone, then hold Power + Volume UP + Volume DOWN until you see the TEAMWIN logo). Perform a factory reset (Wipe Data + Cache) and Wipe Dalvik Cache.
Select Install and choose the MIUI zip archive, wait for it to flash.
Reboot phone and enjoy MIUI

IV. Some screenshots:
You can see them here.

Finally, I'd like to thank the authors of the threads and articles linked in this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to axtroz For This Useful Post: [ View ]

3rd May 2014, 03:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Flashed everything works fine, but Second Sim is detected but not working, tried many permutations still the same.

Any info will b very useful, originally forms ROW firmware, help.. Urgent, need dual sim functionality very much

Sent from my iPad
3rd May 2014, 04:32 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Info 2
Hi there drkrack,
Have you tried removing SIM1 and only leaving SIM2 in the phone? Is that working?
Since English is not my native language I can't understand what do you mean with "originally forms ROW firmware", can you explain?
The phone was with the ROW firmware when you flashed MIUI?
As far as I know MIUI is based on the chinese firmware so you'll have to flash that and if second sim is not working for you, you might have to flash only the modem from the ROW rom.
You can try replacing your modem driver with another one without reflashing the whole phone.

Check your current modem: Settings->All Settings->About phone-> Baseband version.
Mine's P780.V16, 2013/07/03 17:08 and both SIMs are working fine. You can try with some other versions though.

Backup your IMEIs with Mobileuncle Tools. This is very important because this information could be lost after replacing the modem driver!
Install ES File Explorer or Total Commander and give it root access.
Go to the /system/etc/firmware folder, you'll find a file named modem.img which is the current modem firmware.
Copy it over to the SD card just in case and replace it with another modem.
Download a new modem driver from [1] (sorry, can't post external links yet). I'm running V19 and both SIM cards are working just fine, but your mileage may vary.
After you move the file there be sure that the permissions are 644 (rw- r-- r--) (Owner: read+write, Group: read, Others: read).
Reboot the phone and hopefully you'll have both SIMs working.

Hope this helps,
good luck!

Credits for the Modem images to user belitov from androidbg.com.

[1] hxxps://mega.co.nz/#F!DkZg2BRZ!XsyBsDoB5sRdczecDvZuHw
Last edited by axtroz; 3rd May 2014 at 04:40 PM.
6th May 2014, 07:47 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
MIUIv5 for Lenovo P780
Thanks for the reply it was a typo.. I meant originally from ROW firmware, flashed Chinese rom s123 and then tried MIUI v5,

All SIM Combinations I've tried, not detecting sim 2 at all.
Same problem with SLX ROM too,
Have a backup of IMEIs
Will try this modem driver img replacing and will let you know
Last edited by drkrack; 6th May 2014 at 07:51 AM.
7th May 2014, 08:05 PM |#5  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Official MIUI V5 for 8gb P780
How to flash Official MIUI V5 on 8gb P780 ROW. I mean can we flash S135 and then Use TWRP to flash Official MIUI from en.miui.com ?

Thanks.
10th June 2014, 07:35 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I using 8gb version. Try put life rom 07. Then flash miui v5 from here lenovo-forums.ru/topic/2073-miui-v5-jb-42-%D0%B4%D0%BB%D1%8F-ideaphone-p780-dual-sim-version/

Sent from my P780 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th June 2014, 10:19 AM |#7  
Flag Bor
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Is there gonna be new Miui above 4.4.25?
26th June 2014, 11:11 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
I've no idea, but hoping for it. There's already Android 4.4 for our P780 (which runs very smooth btw), but so far nothing from the MIUI team. Will keep you updated if I find something...
26th June 2014, 12:03 PM |#9  
Flag Surabaya
Thanks Meter: 23

More
i goofed it up
Help me please anyone. I have never tried to fix a ROM to this kind of device before. I've always used HTC till now and I've goofed the install so bad that I can't reflash my back up. The recovery can't read the data or emmc partitions or internal storage. I don't know how to fix it. I can boot recovery but I can't flash anything or go back to my old ROM I was using 8 gb ROW 124 stock rooted TWRP. I can still get the system partition to mount. Any ideas how to fix it?
27th June 2014, 10:17 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Yeah, read the other topics in this forum, good people have written fine guides for using MTK Smartphone flash tool to restore their phones. A rule of thumb is always keep your backups somewhere safe, e.g. PC hard disk or external storage card because when flashing the internal memory is at risk of breaking. Post to the relevant topic and good luck.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread