[Q] P780 bricked after flashing (wrong) ROM - doesn't boot

Search This thread

Ly0n_30

Oct 19, 2014
Try This:
1. now... turn off your phone(skip this step because yours is allready stoped)
2. plug your USB cable in your computer
2.1. do not plug your USB cable in your phone
3. open Flash Tool
4. check DA,DL WITH CHECKSUM (NOT OPTIONAL)
5. press Firmware Upgrade button (NOT DOWNLOAD BUTTON)
6. now just now plug usb cable to your phone.
7. firmware flash should start.(some red and other color lines should appear)
8. iff the firmware is not starting remove the back case of your phone and hold pressed the little red button from the right side, for about 20 seconds not less then release. All this must be done with cable pluged in to your phone.
9. after flash is done a green circle should appear
10. disconect your phone and power on your phone
11. lenovo logo should appear. then you should be pacient because it will took some time before android boots for the first time.
12. Reboot at least once then your phone is ready to work HARD.
13. Good luck. Hope This Helps You.
14. Do not be afraid. This phones are hard to HARD BRICK. Most of them are SOFT BRICK.

I'll try it asap, with the stock ROM, and I'll come back to you.

Ly0n_30

Oct 19, 2014
I'll try it asap, with the stock ROM, and I'll come back to you.

OK.
I managed to flash it, after reading this post: xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/help/p780-bricked-recognized-pc-t2755207 with the ROM mentioned there (P780_S123_ROW_131231).

The prob now is that it powers ON, for less than a sec (screen flashes) and powers off again, so I guess I should try another ROM.

Any ideas of what ROM to try ?

The good think is that I managed to flash it :)

Last edited:

Ly0n_30

Oct 19, 2014
OK.
I managed to flash it, after reading this post: xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/help/p780-bricked-recognized-pc-t2755207 with the ROM mentioned there (P780_S123_ROW_131231).

The prob now is that it powers ON, for less than a sec (screen flashes) and powers off again, so I guess I should try another ROM.

Any ideas of what ROM to try ?

The good think is that I managed to flash it :)

Funny, thing... the phone seemed to e out of batery, after the last flash. After I plugged it on my PC and it started charging, it works ok, up to now (haven't used it with a sim card yet).

ionut dolete

Oct 30, 2014
big problem with p780

Funny, thing... the phone seemed to e out of batery, after the last flash. After I plugged it on my PC and it started charging, it works ok, up to now (haven't used it with a sim card yet).

Hello!
I tried to make an upgrade of firmware at my phone with flashtool, the process started and in a few minutes my computer turned off suddenly! I can boot the phone neither the reset button, neither the combination between power button and volumes + or -. If I try to connect my phone on the pc, it appears in device manager Unknown device!
I took the phone from pandawill.com,china, in september 2014, flashing s136.
What can I do?
Thanks!

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
Hello!
I tried to make an upgrade of firmware at my phone with flashtool, the process started and in a few minutes my computer turned off suddenly! I can boot the phone neither the reset button, neither the combination between power button and volumes + or -. If I try to connect my phone on the pc, it appears in device manager Unknown device!
I took the phone from pandawill.com,china, in september 2014, flashing s136.
What can I do?
Thanks!

PM me after 19.00. You soft briked your phone.

Sent from my Lenovo P780

ddnn_

Nov 4, 2014
Hello
For some reason it looked like I either hard bricked or soft bricked my P780 last night, because my phone is going haywire (kept returning application errors, including Google services) yesterday for some unknown reason. When I tried to factory reset it, it bootloops. Then I tried to revert to stock rom via flashing, but the SP flash tool kept returning an error when using the Upgrade. The error says that there is no PMT on my phone. Then I tried to format all of my phone using SPFT. It worked, but when I use the download option, it kept returning error No Space Error (5069) after downloading the preloader. Now all my P780 can do is charging and detect itself to the computer.
Maybe someone can help me, please?
Thank you!

shaqimon

Apr 1, 2014
Bricked, no clue whats causing it

I kinda like softbricked it by accident, but luckily i have the backup of my original and flashed it, and it went back to normal. The problem is when every time i downloaded another rom, and flashed it, same thing happened and had to go back to original backed up rom. Is it because of the preloaders that makes it unable to turn on? Can't i just untick the checkbox PRELOADER before flashing?

Oh, and mine is not original. The seller told me so.

GiannisTP

p780 doing its thing

Hello from me too....
I've been trying to fix a friends phone for days. I've followed 1 gazillion tutorials and nothing seems to work.
She bought the phone from minideal a few months back and a few days ago it started rebooting on its own.
When I got the phone in my hands it booted up and seemed to be working.
I checked in Settings>Manage Apps and noticed an app calling its self "System Service" in /data apps.
I thought that she downloaded a virus so I tried to uninstall it. As I pressed uninstall the phone rebooted but after the boot screen it said that something happened with the encryption and that I should factory reset it.
I rebooted to recovery and wiped /data and /cache.
After the wipe the phone ended up in a boot loop. It was showing the Lenovo logo then rebooting.
I tried flashing P780_ROW_S124_140403_rooted_twrp_gapps from this thread but I got an error saying BROM error S_DL_PMT_ERR_NO_SPACE
and after that the phone doesn't respond at all.
I read that if the production date is after the 3rd of 2014 you have to use another preloader and I tried with that one too since on the box says 05 2014.
I also tried Lenovo_P780_S228_ROW_PreRooted_TWRP and P780_ROW_S226_140919_Rooted_SPFlash_TWRP
I've tried flashing them again and again with and without the new preloader but I had no results...
Can anyone please help? In a few days I'm traveling back home and she'll have to use her ancient nokia that has a battery life of 5 hrs
Also, the phone gets recognized differently everytime I plug it in (I am using windows 8.1 32bit) as the following three in the pic attached.

Attachments

• dev-manager.PNG
    dev-manager.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 104

cantzer

Nov 29, 2014
Step by by step following instructions and my phone is back to life.

Try This:
3. open Flash Tool
8. iff the firmware is not starting remove the back case of your phone and hold pressed the little red button from the right side, for about 20 seconds not less then release. All this must be done with cable pluged in to your phone.
11. lenovo logo should appear. then you should be pacient because it will took some time before android boots for the first time.
14. Do not be afraid. This phones are hard to HARD BRICK. Most of them are SOFT BRICK.
Thank your instruction saved me a lot of time and money, my smartphone now works.

sarang_bits

Apr 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

Please help, I accidentally flash boot.img with recovery.img using flashify tool....now my P-780 is not booting up after android logo its running in loop. I able to enter in CWM recovery. Can anybody give me link or stock boot.img file for Lenovo P-780. It will be helpful.

Thanks

Sarang

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
Hi Guys,

Please help, I accidentally flash boot.img with recovery.img using flashify tool....now my P-780 is not booting up after android logo its running in loop. I able to enter in CWM recovery. Can anybody give me link or stock boot.img file for Lenovo P-780. It will be helpful.

Thanks

Sarang

Hi Sarang. Can you tell us what firmware do you have before flash ROW what version and if CN the same.? If we send you wrong boot.img your phone will not work !

sarang_bits

Apr 23, 2015
hi stympy, thanks for quick response well I am from India, currently m on kitkat 4.4.2 but dont remember S_xxx_ROW version is there any way i can know it from custom CWM ? I can enter in CWM .

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

one more thing its 8GB version & i took back up of kernel using flashify before screwing boot.img. but its on internal memory & CWM is not able to mount emmc therefore not able to access that back up too. Anyways i dont think restoring kernel will fix issue as Boot.img has more package than just kernel. So, restoring stock boot.img can only fix issue...

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

I was upgraded to latest firmware & in lenovo community I see latest firmware as P780_ROW_S228.....

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
hi stympy, thanks for quick response well I am from India, currently m on kitkat 4.4.2 but dont remember S_xxx_ROW version is there any way i can know it from custom CWM ? I can enter in CWM .

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

one more thing its 8GB version & i took back up of kernel using flashify before screwing boot.img. but its on internal memory & CWM is not able to mount emmc therefore not able to access that back up too. Anyways i dont think restoring kernel will fix issue as Boot.img has more package than just kernel. So, restoring stock boot.img can only fix issue...

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

I was upgraded to latest firmware & in lenovo community I see latest firmware as P780_ROW_S228.....

Hi. Here is the full firmware you need !
In here you will find the pieces you need to rebuild your softbrik phone !
An here you will find custom recovery TWRP. I think TWRP is mutch better then CWM. I reccomend you this one: openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0rev2-p780row.zip.
If you need other advices PM me.
Good Luck.

buging

Jul 14, 2015
lenovo p780 bricked

hi stimpy,

may i ask.. what does error 4001 means?

i tried flashing ROM P780_ROW_S124_140403_rooted_twrp_gapps and used the default preloader and the preloader found here in this thread but still this error 4001 appears.

please help..

thank you in advance.

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

and whenever i use flashtool 3.13, i encounter error dram failed.. please help.. thank you.

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
hi stimpy,

may i ask.. what does error 4001 means?

i tried flashing ROM P780_ROW_S124_140403_rooted_twrp_gapps and used the default preloader and the preloader found here in this thread but still this error 4001 appears.

please help..

thank you in advance.

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

and whenever i use flashtool 3.13, i encounter error dram failed.. please help.. thank you.

Hi. Error 4001 means that your PC or notebook cannot communicate with the phone. This error could be initiated by: bad driver, bad USB cable, faulty USB port or the worst of all broken mainboard of your phone.
Try to flash with SP Flash Tool v5 and see what is going on.
Good luck.

Sent from my Lenovo P780

drsparsh

Nov 19, 2011
Lucknow
i am unable to switch on my phone. it was working fine 3 days back when i turned it off. now when i am trying to switch it on, nothing happens. phone not even showing on pc not even a device connecting sound. Nothing happened when i plugged charger. Absolute nothing.

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
i am unable to switch on my phone. it was working fine 3 days back when i turned it off. now when i am trying to switch it on, nothing happens. phone not even showing on pc not even a device connecting sound. Nothing happened when i plugged charger. Absolute nothing.

This could be an accumulator problem or worse, a motherboard problem.

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using XDA Free mobile app

mobin79

Jul 7, 2015
kochi

my phone had gone into a similar state last week, but i knew that the battery had more than 50% charge. so i removed the battery . then connected the phone to my pc. the pc did not detect the phone. so i used usb deview to uninstalled all mediatek and MTK entries.
after this thankfully when i connected the phone to the pc it got detected. then i updated the vcom driver and flashed a new rom.

but the red led not coming on is a serious problem. like stympy said it could be a motherboard issue :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Problem SOLVED !

Hi,

The phone is back to life!
    So, here is what I did: thanks to user stympy, who gave some valuable advise, and was actually on the right track.
    The phones with a production date starting from 03.2014 have an updated PRELOADER. If you try to use flashing the PRELOADER of any other rom here on these phones, you'll end up like me.
    The production date, I think, is printed on the battery (if you have a Chinese model at least).
    YOU CANNOT FLASH A PRELOADER OF THE ROMS ON THE FORUM ON PHONES WITH A PRODUCTION DATE 03.2014 OR LATER (at this moment)

So, I found on a Russian forum (sorry XDA but for Lenovo there is a lot more to find on 4PDA than here), a backup of the correct,new preloader.
    - I took the P780_S129_130710 ROM, and replaced the preloader.bin with the one in this rom.
    - Next, deleted the checksum.ini file in the rom to avoid errors
    - Open SPFT, selected the ROM, made sure PRELOADER entry was pointing to the correct preloader.bin
    - USB disconnected, I clicked Download with DA DL All with checksum activated
    - Plugged in USB
    - Flashed without issue, disconnected, and voila, boot!!!

Well, that gave me a Chinese interface, but some screenshot tutorials enabled me to switch it to English.
    I luckily took a backup with MobileUncleTools of my IMEI, since that was gone.
    Phone seems to work normal, with 2 SIM cards, but a lot of Chinese bloatware.

While I was at it in SPFT, I tried to flash pre-rooted, or ROW versions, but that was unsuccessful so far. Always the good old 4032 error, although I updated the preloader, or some other failures.

However, the problem I'm trying to fight now, is the recovery mode. Can't backup (and not going to try flash ROM through recovery), since I can't mount /data, /emmc, and other crucial partitions. I'm using CWM. My goal is to flash the SLX ROM or any other rom with less bloatware, in English, and stable.

Update : Flashed :
    - P780_S135_130917_rooted_twrp_gapps + modified preloader and works fine: had to manually link the UBOOT to the LK file (SPFT did not do it by itself)
    - VIBEUI_V1.5_1419_5_DEV_P780_rooted_twrp_gapps + modified preloader and works fine : same problem with UBOOT
    - Some other (Chinese) versions. ALWAYS put in the preloader file I attached, and everything went smooth and OK

Decided to not use CWM anymore, it's buggy. I use the built in TWRP recovery, and that works like a charm. No issues whatsoever.
    Decided to keep VIBEUI_V1.5_1419_5_DEV_P780_rooted_twrp_gapps, but my preferred one until now was just the old stock version.
    Simple and good :)

I've attached the preloader.bin I used (use at your own risk!), I guess it might come in handy for all of you with the same problem :)
    Note that this particular preloader worked for me on a Chinese model 4Gb, production date 15/03/2014

And thanks again to Stympy for all the help!
    Hi I'm running P780 4.4.2 1423 ST Pure GAPPS ROOT (found on needrom),

i know this rom doesn't have custom recovery but i hoped it could be installed after flashing.

Could we switch the recovery.img before flashing roms on the phone just like we have to do with the preloader ?

Or only flash the recovery.img with the flashing tools ?

Greetz

Yes you could. Just replace stock recovery with custom one.
    I recomend TWRP from life ROM that you will find here:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2ORIgaV4iacMnZhU3U3cHJTOTA&usp=sharing
    Extract from archive CHINA ROM - RECOVERY.IMG; COPY ; replace your stock recovery with this one;
    Flash;
    Enjoy.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

PROBLEM SOLVED / Thx casaben

Hello,

today i tried to flash my P780. The Build-Number of my phone was P780_S136_140306.
    I flashed ROM P780_S135_130917_rooted_twrp_gapps with Smart Phone Tools and after that my phone was dead. :(
    I flashed this ROM because i want to flash the ROM AOSP-4.4.2-v.1.8 after that.

Thx stympy for your tutorial to bring back my phone back to life! :)

I don´t know if my phone is chinese or not. There is no date on the battery, only chinese letters.

I need help to flash ROM AOSP-4.4.2-v.1.8.

Thx

So.. lets see.. Your phone is chinese, thats for sure.
    On your box that came with your phone you should see the date of fabrication like 04.2014 with some chinese letters.
    This tipe of phones are called SPEED like this: Lenovo P780 Speed. They have done some modifications.
    After you flashed your stock Firmware, must do this steps:
    1. install MobileUncleTool from google play;
    2. download a rooting tool; the firmware must be rooted;
    3. download custom recovery TWRP or CWM;
    4. put the custom firmware on your internal storage;
    5. open Mobile UncleTool; go to recovery update select recovery and flash(update).
    6. tell me iff something goes wrong;
    Hi all,

Recently got a Lenovo P780 4gb, Chinese version.
    It came with VIBE UI 1.0, installed by the vendor.
    Now, I wanted to have a different ROM without the Chinese characters here and there, and reading through the forums, I decided to flash a stock ROW version, and then upgrade to another custom ROM.
    So I downloaded the 4Gb P780_S123_ROW_131231 version from elsewhere on the forum.
    Using the SP Flash tool, it started flashing, and on the bottom I saw some info saying DRAM 8Gb, which worried me because I thought it might have been the wrong version, but the flash completed, green circle shown.
    Then tried to reboot...nothing. Phone wouldn't even turn on.
    Plugged it again into PC through USB, and the red light comes on, and instead of the device being recognized as a MT Preloader device, it now connects just as a MediaTek USB Port.

The SP Flash tool still recognizes 'something', but when trying to download or upgrade firmware (with another ROM), then the red progress bar goes to 100% quickly, but then hangs, and I see the error message in the log (timestamps removed):
    BROM_DLL[4312][2988]: ERROR: MT6589EMISettingFactory::IsComboDiscreteDram(): Bootloader sub-version (MTK_BLOADER_INFO_SUB_VER_00) is not supported! (FlashToolLib/source/common/generic/src/emi_setting.cpp:557)
    BROM_DLL[4312][2988]: ERROR: DummyEMISetting::GetDramEMISetting(): Unsupported! (FlashToolLib/source/common/generic/src/emi_setting.cpp:610)
    BROM_DLL[4312][2988]: ERROR: FlashTool_Connect(0x05CA13A8): SyncWithDA(): fail! (FlashToolLib/sv5/common/generic/src/flashtool_api.cpp:937)
    BROM_DLL[4312][2988]: ERROR: FlashTool_Connect(0x05CA13A8): fail! "S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL"(4032). (FlashToolLib/sv5/common/generic/src/flashtool_api.cpp:990)
    BROM_DLL[4312][2988]: com_sentry::Close(\\.\COM6, 0000284C): OK! (FlashToolLib/host/windows/com_sentry.cpp:650)

Now, the above error is supposedly caused by using an incorrect ROM. But what would be a correct one ? I assume chinese but what version or it doesn't matter ?

I also downloaded the P780_S135_130917_rooted_twrp_gapps but when opening the scatter file, I see an entry UBOOT that is not available in the ROM, and I cannot download it(above error) or upgrade (UBOOT missing).

Any tips or do I now have a fancy paperweight ? :)

Hi. This phones are a little tricky to reflash after is softbriked. Just in case try to reflash with Life 0.7 for 4GB Firmware.
    Here is the link:
    http://xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/development/life-rom-lenovo-p780-t2666626

Here is a litle HOW TO in case of softbriked Lenovo P780:

Step by step you wil do this:
    >>>>> USE WINDOWS 7 FOR THIS TUTORIAL <<<<<<<<<<<
    >>>>>>>>>>REMOVE THE USB CALBLE FROM PHONE! <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    NOW:
    - Unpack FlashTools, and Click on Flash_tool.exe
    - Select a the MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt in ROM from target_bin folder
    - Wait file to be added into Flash Tool
    - choose Option->USB Model,click USB Model SKIP THIS STEP IFF SELECTED
    –> Choose Option->DA DownLoad All->Speed->High Speed, click High Speed
    - Turn off your phone - skip this step if is allready powered off

- "Press F9 (hit Download button)" OR " if upgrade ROM Firmware->Upgrade "
    - and ONLY NOW connect your phone into the computer via USB data cable.
    - The process will start and a red progress bar will appear after color purple, yellow.
    - And green circles display
    - Finish !

- You can now safely disconnect your phone and turn it on!

After this tell me iff something goes wrong !

OR

Tell me if your phone is from 04.2014 production.
    If it is you must remove the checkbox of the preloader when you flash your custom ROM.
    Also highly recommended before manipulation of the phone to do a full backup and backup of NVRAM.
    Hi,

Well I flashed the initial ROM with everything checked, so don't know if that can be undone?
    I tried flashing the life version you linked to, and tried some other stock roms (like P780_S125_130529,P780_S129_130710), but it's all the time the same.
    I start the tool, then unplug phone, press reset button, then click download or upgrade firmware.
    In the status bar of the tool, I see a speed in bps, EMMC, COM5 (as long as phone not plugged in, this is USB).
    Other ROMS froze the timer in this status bar straight away, it remained 0:00 sec, but with the Life ROM, it keeps counting.
    But in the end, it always ends with the same error.
    I've attached the log, which includes multiple tries (with PRELOADER unchecked, then again with PRELOADER and PRELOAD unchecked, then with all checked, update and download).
    Can't I do something like format it all, then do a fresh install ? Guess it's not that simple :)
    I used the flashtool included, and SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, no difference.
    Don't see production date, only see sticker with 02-5707-131911 Lenovo P780 and a number. CMIT ID : 2013CP5888 on the battery itself there is a number 140315

Thanks already for your help and tips.

Hi. Can you do something for me? Open the case of the phone. Look on the accumulator. Tell me iff on the label there is writen something with 04.2014.
    He didn't install any other preloader. Just what ROMS in my first post had.
    As of the date, I can't see any on the back of the phone...

That's a pic of it: imgur_com/rWUAla3

Try This:
    3. open Flash Tool