FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (May 15 – 30)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

[KERNEL][v500][5.x] RedKernel [14/05]

Thanks Meter: 510

By Rick Roll, Senior Member on 23rd August 2014, 03:31 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Yesterday, 09:34 PM |#301  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 2,222

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nebukadnezar0

Have exactly the same issue, I'm on latest CM12.1 nightlies and the R20 redkernel version

I also had those blank screens (backlight still working)

with RedKernel 20 + FlexOS,

currently running RedKernel 15

Yesterday, 10:48 PM |#302  
Thanks Meter: 2,109

More
@Rick Roll

Ive noticed a bug in the install script that causes all the files in /system/etc to be executable, which causes problems for all the xml files. The xml files should not be executable. Also, /system/etc/ppp/ip-up-vpn should be -r-xr-xr-x. There is only one file being installed to /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, so there should be no reason to recursively change all the permissions.

I've also added the video blobs to the kernel installer.

Code:
Only in RedKernel-rXXX-ADRENO-LMY47V-signed/META-INF/com: android
diff -ru '--exclude=CERT.RSA' '--exclude=CERT.SF' '--exclude=MANIFEST.MF' RedKernel-rXXX/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script RedKernel-rXXX-ADRENO-LMY47V-signed/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
--- RedKernel-rXXX/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script	2015-04-14 14:05:10.000000000 +0200
+++ RedKernel-rXXX-ADRENO-LMY47V-signed/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script	2008-02-29 02:33:46.000000000 +0100
@@ -2,16 +2,19 @@
 set_progress(0.1);
 ui_print("");
 ui_print("Anykernel Updater");
-ui_print("Install ROM before kernel");
-ui_print("Module installation...");
+ui_print("Copying files.");
 mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system","/system");
 set_progress(0.2);
 package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
-ui_print("Setting module permissions...");
-set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0755, "/system/etc");
-set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0755, "/system/lib/modules");
-set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/etc/init.d");
-set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system/etc/init.d");
+ui_print("Setting permissions.");
+set_metadata("/system/etc/mixer_paths.xml", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata_recursive("/system/lib/modules", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata("/system/vendor/firmware/a300_pfp.fw", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata("/system/vendor/firmware/a300_pm4.fw", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata_recursive("/system/vendor/lib", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "mode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib/egl", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "mode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
+set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib/mediadrm", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "mode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
 ui_print("Remove MPDecision & Thermald...");
 delete("/system/bin/mpdecision");
 delete("/system/bin/thermald");
@@ -25,10 +28,7 @@
 set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/loki_tool");
 set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/livebump.sh");
 ui_print("Extracting old kernel from boot...");
-run_program("/sbin/busybox", "dd",
-"if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot","of=/tmp/boot.lok");
-ui_print("Removing loki patch");
-run_program("/tmp/loki_tool", "unlok", "/tmp/boot.lok", "/tmp/boot.img");
+run_program("/sbin/busybox", "dd", "if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot","of=/tmp/boot.img");
 set_progress(0.5);
 ui_print("Decompiling old boot.img...");
 run_program("/tmp/unpackbootimg", "-i", "/tmp/boot.img", "-o", "/tmp/");
Only in RedKernel-rXXX-ADRENO-LMY47V-signed/system: vendor
Also, /etc/init.d has changed permissions in lollipop. It was root:root in kitkat, but in lollipop its root:shell. I would recommend setting permissions on init.d scripts only one at a time. They also require special selinux labels.

Code:
drwxr-xr-x.  2 root 2000   4096 May 29 14:45 init.d
Edit: Also, I'm not sure if its necessary to bump the kernel again after its already been bumped. When printf writes a string to the boot.img to bump it, where does it store that string? Is it the zImage? If its the zImage, then we do need to bump it again since the installer replaces the zImage with a new one. But, if that printf string is located somewhere else, then we would not need to bump it over again...if its already bumped and we are just switching zImages.
Last edited by Deltadroid; Yesterday at 11:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deltadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 12:29 AM |#303  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 2,222

Donate to Me
More
Can anyone confirm that RedKernel 17 & 18 ARE affected by this screen blank issue ?

@Rick Roll:

All kernels newer than RedKernel 15 are based off the lollipop-rebase, right ?

What are the minor differences between the e.g. lollipop-rebase and the lollipop-rebase-aosp branch ?

I'm trying to understand how you created those kernels, where the base for the rebase was and what exact commits related to voltage, graphics, color, etc. where introduced

otherwise it's rather difficult to track this down ...

Are there any outstanding commits from upstream related to the freedreno, msm/kgsl driver ?

Also it's not entirely certain that it's a kernel-only related issue, as pointed out by @Deltadroid

Thanks

edit:

ah - yes, forgot about the factor of graphics firmware blob update, etc.
Last edited by zacharias.maladroit; Today at 01:11 AM.
Today, 01:01 AM |#304  

More
Adreno update.

Here are my changes to the adreno install script:

Code:
ui_print("Adreno Graphics Driver Updater");

show_progress(1.000000, 0);

ui_print("Mounting system.");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");
set_progress(0.500000);

ui_print("Extracting files.");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

ui_print("Setting metadata.");
set_metadata("/system/vendor/firmware/a300_pfp.fw", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata("/system/vendor/firmware/a300_pm4.fw", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/vendor/lib", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "mode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib/egl", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "mode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib/mediadrm", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "mode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");

set_progress(1.000000);

ui_print("Done.");
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deltadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 10:45 AM |#305  

More
I've been running rXXX with the latest adreno drivers from the modified installer I made and here are the results after 12 hrs..

1) no more unexpected sdcard unmount
2) no black screen

Thanks @Rick Roll. I don't want to jinx it, but I should know more after another day of tests.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deltadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 04:46 PM |#306  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 510

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharias.maladroit

Can anyone confirm that RedKernel 17 & 18 ARE affected by this screen blank issue ?

@Rick Roll:

All kernels newer than RedKernel 15 are based off the lollipop-rebase, right ?

What are the minor differences between the e.g. lollipop-rebase and the lollipop-rebase-aosp branch ?

I'm trying to understand how you created those kernels, where the base for the rebase was and what exact commits related to voltage, graphics, color, etc. where introduced

otherwise it's rather difficult to track this down ...

Are there any outstanding commits from upstream related to the freedreno, msm/kgsl driver ?

Also it's not entirely certain that it's a kernel-only related issue, as pointed out by @Deltadroid

Thanks

edit:

ah - yes, forgot about the factor of graphics firmware blob update, etc.

r15 - lollipop branch (based on cm-11.0 with commits from aosp branch "android-msm-mako-3.4-lollipop-release")
r16 - lollipop-rebase branch - (based on cm-12.0)

I think it's is something with rmcc cm-12.0 commits.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Roll For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 06:56 PM |#307  

More
I just got another black screen with rXXX. Going back to r015 seems to be only solution so far.

But, on the bright side, the sdcard unmount problem is fixed in latest r020.
Last edited by Deltadroid; Today at 08:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deltadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread