Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

External SD card and G PAD... try to clarify

Tip us?

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by muiriddin View Post
That is similair to what I thought as well until the problem started happening for me. I was pure stock 4.4.2 unrooted before I joined this quest to investigate the bad removals. The bad removals started occurring after the 4.4.2 upgrade. A factory reset after the upgrade, caused the problem to disappear for a short while. Then it came back. Pure original 4.2.2 did not suffer from bad removals when I first got the GPad, however I can not say that it wasn't happening silently in the background and I was unaware of it. Either some application I am using (that has been upgraded), or the upgrade to 4.4.2 has started the problem, or my card is now going bad, or worst case, there is a bad set of hardware out there and I have one of them...

I will be ordering a new card and probably reverting to stock 4.4.2 to see if that causes things to go away for me if my current tests continue to show problems.
Honestly I believe your wasting your money buying a new card. I've tried 4 different working correctly in other devices cards and they all bad dismount on the G Pad. I have been continuously monitoring mine and it makes no sense how I can go for days with no problems and then have over 100 dismounts in 12 hours.

I'm starting to really question how accurate SD card monitor is. On a few occasions I would check it at say 10:00 AM and have no problems then check it at 11:00 AM and it would show 20-30 dismounts before 10:00 AM.

After trying all the different roms I'm going to load 422 again and confirm that its a 442 issue. Its just so frustrating to see so many people not having the problem and others that cannot find or fix the problem LG has been zero help in my case.
The Following User Says Thank You to meanoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muiriddin
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanoc View Post
Honestly I believe your wasting your money buying a new card. I've tried 4 different working correctly in other devices cards and they all bad dismount on the G Pad. I have been continuously monitoring mine and it makes no sense how I can go for days with no problems and then have over 100 dismounts in 12 hours.

I'm starting to really question how accurate SD card monitor is. On a few occasions I would check it at say 10:00 AM and have no problems then check it at 11:00 AM and it would show 20-30 dismounts before 10:00 AM.

After trying all the different roms I'm going to load 422 again and confirm that its a 442 issue. Its just so frustrating to see so many people not having the problem and others that cannot find or fix the problem LG has been zero help in my case.
I have begun to question the SD Card monitoring app's accuracy as well. I did need another card anyway so I have ordered one. However having just done multiple backups and file moves and not had any problem, I'm definitely confused as to what could possibly trigger what we are seeing.
The Following User Says Thank You to muiriddin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
So last night I did another round of experiments. I took an old 512 MB USB thumb drive and plugged it into my pc. I scanned the disk and it was clean. Added assorted bs files and proceeded to do bad dismounts. So out of 100 tries I got errors on 93 scans. Went back and formatted the disk and added bs files and proceeded to plug and unplug the drive repeatedly (about 20 times). Out of 100 sessions I got 100 bad scans.

My sd card at the time had over 1000! bad dismounts some of them within seconds of one another. Did a scan on the sd and ZERO errors. Copied all the data from the sd card, reformatted it and added assorted files. Popped the card in a reader and proceeded with the same testing as the USB thumb drive. Guess what almost the exact same results. On the single dismounts I got errors on 91 scans. On the multiple plug and unplug test I got 100 out of 100.

I know my testing method could stand improvement yet I think this proves that something isn't adding up. I'm thinking its the SD monitor program. I emailed the developer and will post the reply.

parsifal968
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanoc View Post
THIS is the question! you have installed a custom recovery on 442 (with the only metod: mixed base) and if you back to 422 with a simple restore backup then you have also problems.
The only solution is to go back to ORIGINAL stock 422 (if you want a custom recovery) with this metod:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476
erasing any trace of 442 and (if you don't have a bad microsd) all problems are gone.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

If you want 442 from LG then probably work IF you don't install a custom recovery on a fresh kitkat installation with lg tool (not have time to try).

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsifal968 View Post
THIS is the question! you have installed a custom recovery on 442 (with the only metod: mixed base) and if you back to 422 with a simple restore backup then you have also problems.
The only solution is to go back to ORIGINAL stock 422 (if you want a custom recovery) with this metod:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476
erasing any trace of 442 and (if you don't have a bad microsd) all problems are gone.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

If you want 442 from LG then probably work IF you don't install a custom recovery on a fresh kitkat installation with lg tool (not have time to try).
I'm wiping the G Pad right now and going to install 422 completely stock. I hope that fixes this but I have doubts. Your theory still doesn't explain why some have the issue and others don't running the same setup. But like I said I'm going to try it and thanks for the reply.

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Well and now a drum roll.....422 loaded cleanly and just had my first bad dismount within 10 minutes of installing the monitor. So in my case it almost has to be a hardware issue or the monitoring program is faulty.

No big deal as I have a buyer on Craigslist and am going to preorder the new Nvidia tablet. I really liked this tablet aside from the sd issues but I already wasted enough time. The only thing that bothers me is I just bought 2 cases and a pack of screen protectors but I would rather loose the cash than be aggravated daily with dismounts.

Good luck everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to meanoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

parsifal968
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
422 loaded cleanly? After wiping? Mah! How about exact procedure you done? Install a "clean" 422 after "wipe" ... i suspect you have done via TWRP or similar ... THIS NOT WORK!!! mine is not a teory but what i have done to solve.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

Hugo-PT
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Also did not solve the problem.
In some cases, the first symptoms appear again a few weeks later.
Galaxy S Plus (I9001) - ROM: [4.4.4] CM11 R10 by ADC-Team - Kernel: K^Kernel 3.4.98 v2.6 OC_EXUV_406MB by Christopher83

Optimus 2x (P990) - ROM: [4.4.2] CM11(20140614) by tonyp - Kernel: a modified Kowalski kernel-exp: (3.1.10) #4 by Firtecy - Bb: v30A

G Pad 8.3 (V500) - ROM: [4.4.2] Stock ROM with root [IOroot25]
The Following User Says Thank You to Hugo-PT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
422 loaded cleanly? After wiping? Mah! How about exact procedure you done? Install a "clean" 422 after "wipe" ... i suspect you have done via TWRP or similar ... THIS NOT WORK!!! mine is not a teory but what i have done to solve.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app
I did a 100% clean install w/o root or recovery via the LG tool and THIS NOT WORK!!! So as I stated before in MY case this did absolutely nothing other than waste 90 minutes of time. You really should learn not to be so rude and assume something your not sure of