Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,914 Members 49,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SIM Unlock LG G Pad 8.3 VK810 Verizon to AT&T

Tip us?

jaredlappa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Arrow SIM Unlock LG G Pad 8.3 VK810 Verizon to AT&T

I have been searching and cant seem to find anything... :/
I am trying to SIM Unlock my LG G Pad 8.3 Model VK810 that is Verizon and should come factory unlock I believe. I need this to be used on AT&T LTE which I have a sim card for and a tablet plan on the shared data plan.
It is on 4.2.2 baseband is m9615a-cefwtazm
I tried adding some ATT APN settings I found, but that did not help me. I think I need to Change it to GSM From CDMA somehow? I am not really sure. I can update and root if needed or whatever I need to do. I also have a samsung z3x box, but dont think it will work on the LG.
Any help would really help me out! Thank you in advance.

uprightbass360
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlappa View Post
I have been searching and cant seem to find anything... :/
I am trying to SIM Unlock my LG G Pad 8.3 Model VK810 that is Verizon and should come factory unlock I believe. I need this to be used on AT&T LTE which I have a sim card for and a tablet plan on the shared data plan.
It is on 4.2.2 baseband is m9615a-cefwtazm
I tried adding some ATT APN settings I found, but that did not help me. I think I need to Change it to GSM From CDMA somehow? I am not really sure. I can update and root if needed or whatever I need to do. I also have a samsung z3x box, but dont think it will work on the LG.
Any help would really help me out! Thank you in advance.
As it seems you are comfortable messing with your APN settings that should be all you will need to do. The device is locked to specific wireless frequencies but luckily for you at &t uses the same LTE frequencies. You will need to have root access in order to write your APN settings though, check the forums for information on that. Finally make sure that the sim you have is compatible with your tablet data plan, and your APN settings should be as follows for mobile data only.

APN: BROADBAND
MCC: 310
MNC: 410

jaredlappa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uprightbass360 View Post
As it seems you are comfortable messing with your APN settings that should be all you will need to do. The device is locked to specific wireless frequencies but luckily for you at &t uses the same LTE frequencies. You will need to have root access in order to write your APN settings though, check the forums for information on that. Finally make sure that the sim you have is compatible with your tablet data plan, and your APN settings should be as follows for mobile data only.

APN: BROADBAND
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Happen to have a link for a Root tutorial and ROM that is good and stable for my Vk810? Will the V500 work with my pad?
I was looking at this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660676

Thank you.

uprightbass360
Old
(Last edited by uprightbass360; 30th April 2014 at 06:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Happen to have a link for a Root tutorial and ROM that is good and stable for my Vk810? Will the V500 work with my pad?
I was looking at this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660676

Thank you.
I do not, I am sure you will find something if you look around. The V500 and V510 methods are not compatible. There is a method for yours though along with a custom recovery in the works. You may even have a custom rom in the near future.

P.S. this topic belongs in Q/A and not development.

jaredlappa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I do not, I am sure you will find something if you look around. The V500 and V510 methods are not compatible. There is a method for yours though along with a custom recovery in the works. You may even have a custom rom in the near future.

P.S. this topic belongs in Q/A and not development.
Why would it belong in Q/A? If I am having to root and unlock it or do custom recovery? Isn't that with development?
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Here is the link I found for Rooting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2703825
From researching it looks like it will work with the VK810.
This was also newly released: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726707
But there are no custom roms that I have found yet.

So, I should Root this and then change the APN settings to what you told me and my ATT SIM would work?

Thank you!

uprightbass360
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Why would it belong in Q/A? If I am having to root and unlock it or do custom recovery? Isn't that with development?
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Here is the link I found for Rooting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2703825
From researching it looks like it will work with the VK810.
This was also newly released: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726707
But there are no custom roms that I have found yet.

So, I should Root this and then change the APN settings to what you told me and my ATT SIM would work?

Thank you!
I haven't read much about i0root but it looks like it will work. Now the next part is not certain weather or not it will work, but I have seen tablets able to run on other networks that are unlocked. As long as Verizon did not implement any extra protection you should be able to use an at&t sim that is enabled for tablet data.

Once you are rooted go pick up es file explorer and navigate to /system/etc/apns-conf.xml . Make sure that before you change anything that you make a copy and name it something else so you can find it again if you have to go back. Open the file using the text editor. You can get rid of the other apns and just put your new one in there and give it a reboot. It should kick right on after you reboot. Good luck!

jaredlappa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I haven't read much about i0root but it looks like it will work. Now the next part is not certain weather or not it will work, but I have seen tablets able to run on other networks that are unlocked. As long as Verizon did not implement any extra protection you should be able to use an at&t sim that is enabled for tablet data.

Once you are rooted go pick up es file explorer and navigate to /system/etc/apns-conf.xml . Make sure that before you change anything that you make a copy and name it something else so you can find it again if you have to go back. Open the file using the text editor. You can get rid of the other apns and just put your new one in there and give it a reboot. It should kick right on after you reboot. Good luck!
I have an LG G PAD 8.3 VK810 Verizon that I am trying to root in order to SIM unlock from Verizon to ATT.
I have installed the Drivers packages here and it finds the drivers in USB Modes: Charge tablet and media sync fine, but when I go to Internet Connection mode and choose ethernet it can not find the following drivers: CDC ECM, CDC SERIAL, AND 3 THAT SAY LGE ANDROID PHONE.

Any ideas on how to get these drivers installed to try the next step? I tried to go ahead and run the iroot program but it can not find the device.

Thank you for the help.

jlczl
Old
Thanks Meter 183
I have installed a T-Mobile SIM card in my LG GPad 8.3 LTE so I could get the free gig of data they offer existing customers. It worked without rooting. All I did was add a new APN with the proper T-Mobile settings and I was able to surf. Did it right there at the T-Mobile store with the rep to verify it would work before I added the data line to my account.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One "BB Blue"
Sony Xperia Z
Galaxy Note 2 running Jedi ROM
iPad Mini with Retina Display
Galaxy Note 10.1
Asus Nexus 7
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Nokia 520
HTC Flyer
iPad 2 16gb WiFi version

Verizon, AirVoice Wireless and T-Mobile Value

joeminati
Old
Thanks Meter 7
That's awesome. I love what tmobile is doing to the phone industry. I love their aggressive stance now on grabbing customers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

ttn1185
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
I have installed a T-Mobile SIM card in my LG GPad 8.3 LTE so I could get the free gig of data they offer existing customers. It worked without rooting. All I did was add a new APN with the proper T-Mobile settings and I was able to surf. Did it right there at the T-Mobile store with the rep to verify it would work before I added the data line to my account.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thx for the tip. The tablet is set to LTE mode and since T-Mobile LTE has the same band with Verizon LTE. It definitely works on T-Mobile.

For AT&T, no luck even if rooted. I used Radio Switcher app to go to the Tablet Info in Testing Mode. But it displays error message "This application does not work on this device".

Tags
lg g pad 8.3, sim unlock, sim unlock lte, vk810