[Q] Scenarios around root and OTA updates

3rd September 2014, 12:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hello,

I've got a couple of scenarios regarding the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510) that I wanted to run passed you. This is based on my understanding on what is required for OTA updates to work properly and basically I just want some confirmation that I'm right, or correction if I'm wrong.

Scenario 1:
- Start with stock android/kernel/recovery etc
- Root device to make backup of platform.xml file and then edit the platform.xml to allow full SD card write access
- When new OTA update becomes available I wait until I can confirm that I can get root access on the new android version
- Then replace my edited platform.xml with the original backup to return all files to stock state
- Download and install OTA update like normal
- Re apply root and SD card write access

This should work, correct?

Scenario 2:
- Root device to make backup of platform.xml file and then edit the platform.xml to allow full SD card write access
- Using stock recovery, flash my kernel to the SleekAI one for gamma, battery life, and other optimisations (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2647119)
- When new OTA update becomes available I wait until I can confirm that I can get root access on the new android version
- Use the stock kernel provided on the SleekAI thread to return to stock kernel
- Replace my edited platform.xml with the original backup to return all files to stock state
- Reinstall SleekAI kernel

This should also work, correct?

Essentially both are just applying changes that would break OTA updates, and then reversing those changes so everything is stock again (apart from no unrooting) so that the OTA update applies like normal.

Thanks for the help,
OtterNZ
3rd September 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #2  
Flag Fayetteville
Thanks Meter: 215

441 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterNZ

Hello,

I've got a couple of scenarios regarding the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510) that I wanted to run passed you. This is based on my understanding on what is required for OTA updates to work properly and basically I just want some confirmation that I'm right, or correction if I'm wrong.

Scenario 1:
- Then replace my edited platform.xml with the original backup to return all files to stock state

This should work, correct?

Scenario 2:
- Using stock recovery, flash my kernel to the SleekAI one for gamma, battery life, and other optimisations (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2647119)
- Use the stock kernel provided on the SleekAI thread to return to stock kernel
- Replace my edited platform.xml with the original backup to return all files to stock state
- Reinstall SleekAI kernel

This should also work, correct?

Essentially both are just applying changes that would break OTA updates, and then reversing those changes so everything is stock again (apart from no unrooting) so that the OTA update applies like normal.

Thanks for the help,
OtterNZ

Rather than use the stock image in the kernel thread, make a backup boot image and keep that handy. The stock image in the kernel thread was for the 4.4.2 base that came with the gpad when it first came out, and while it will serve to allow upgrade to 4.4.4, it won't do anybody any good for the next round

There is already a complete image available to flash for update if you want...
10th September 2014, 11:35 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekmason

Rather than use the stock image in the kernel thread, make a backup boot image and keep that handy. The stock image in the kernel thread was for the 4.4.2 base that came with the gpad when it first came out, and while it will serve to allow upgrade to 4.4.4, it won't do anybody any good for the next round

There is already a complete image available to flash for update if you want...

I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post to thank you on your kernel thread so...Thank You

Easy to follow instructions, and the yellow tint is less noticeable, making videos seem lighter (although there is still a bit of yellow on my tablet). Got to play around with some of the other kernel features at some point.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread