N00b Friendly Guide: Convert F350S/K/L to D838

Search This thread

blitz9826

Apr 28, 2015
Some great news guys. On my third and fourth phones (not tries, PHONES), I finally found an incredibly easy approach to get the KDZ flash/upgrade working without having to downgrade or play around with download mode. Here are the steps I took , one by one. These steps have been confirmed on two phones: the first was the F350L running stock Kit Kat 4.4.2, and the second was an F350L running stock Lollipop (F350L20d, 5.0.1 Lollipop). The variations in both steps vary slightly depending on your OS, so pay attention please =3.

Requirements!!!
  • Before continuing, please ensure you have the LG Drivers installed as well as LG Flash Tool 2014. Both can be found here.
  • Additionally, you want to have the latest peachy clean KDZ already downloaded. I've used the D83820DTW, the very first one, very successfully all four times. Get the KDZ of your choice here.

Onwards!

Step 1:

Kit Kat Users: Root using Stump Root. After hitting Grind it'll ask to Brute Force. Do it, wait a while, and reboot (used latest APK at the time, v1.2.0; One Click Root and IORoot failed me).
Lollipop Users: Follow the instructions as written here. DO NOT SKIP STEPS! For rooting Lollipop you will have to use download mode, no other way around it sadly.

Step 2: Install SuperSU (if on Kit Kat, Lollipop gets it with root), Kernel Adiutor (or any build.prop editor), and Busybox (required for Kernel Adiutor, skip if not needed).

Step 3: Once required Apps are installed (and you've rebooted for necessary SU access), change the following build.prop configurations:

ro.product.model = LG-D838
ro.product.name = b1w_open_tw
ro.product.device = b1w
ro.build.target_operator = OPEN
ro.build.target_country = TW

(much thanks to @tjlabais for this valuable info)

If you installed Kernel Adiutor, launch it. BusyBox must have installed properly. On the left main menu is a build.prop editor, so tap that. Kernel Adiutor has a nice search function that lets you filter the build.prop variables, so search for "prod" and "get" for the first three and last two parameters respectively ("prod" without quotes will get you all settings that have prod in them; some scrolling required, but a lot less than without filtering; "get" yields only three or four results anyway).

Step 4: Reboot after editing build.prop and check after reboot if these variables have changed. The new values should be there now.

Step 5: Connect the USB cable and set the USB mode to MTP.

Step 6: Launch LG Flash Tool 2014 on your PC (run as admin to be safe; UAC turned off in Win8/8.1/10 never gives true admin access)

Step 7: Select Type as 3GQCT and PhoneMode as DIAG. Select the KDZ file. It'll look something like the attached file at the bottom of this post. Then click Normal Mode. In the new window, click Start. NOTE: This mode WILL wipe your data. I've done it four times now, it's legit, you WILL lose your data.

Step 8: A new window shows up. Country doesn't matter, but language in my experience does. Set it to English so that the output in the tool is all English, otherwise you'll get a bunch of question marks or Korean. Click OK.

Step 9: In the flash tool, the first process will complete after a minute, verifying Windows and whatnot. Then it'll give you an error saying that the connection the to server failed. OK that, and wait a few seconds. The button towards the bottom right will say exit at first, but then change to retry. Hit retry. If the software's frozen and not responsive, it doesn't matter, don't close it. If you're keeping an eye on your phone, you'll see that some magic's started.

Step 9.5: The phone will auto restart into download mode at the right COM port. No fiddling in Device Manager needed. The KDZ will upload automagically at this point.

Step 10: Watch the magic on your phone~

Step 10.5: At this point it's safe to leave the flash tool alone. Once your phone restarts into normal operation, your flash tool MIGHT crash. It does with me (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). That's fine, cancel and close whatever was open. You're all set =3

Some tips: If your phone isn't connecting to Play Store for whatever reasons, just download the needed APKs (Kernel Aduitor and whatnot) and copy/paste/install them directly on the phone. My sister's Lollipop phone wasn't playing nice, probably because it was outside South Korea. Also, when you need to do lots of typing, this program called Vysor makes life easy by allowing you to control your android device remotely via USB. Just need USB debugging enabled and the PC needs to be authorized. Vysor is a Google Chrome app, so get it from Chrome's market. It's totally free, and damn useful.

Additional Information:

Root Access:

Pre-requisite: USB Debugging enabled and a USB data cable

As stated earlier, follow the instructions here completely to the letter, and you'll be a happy camper (mucho gracias to @Unjustified Dev).

NOTE: Make sure that when you run the Send_Command exe, it must be on the Com Port matching your DIAG mode.

Enabling LTE:

Pre-requisite: Root access with SuperSU and a build.prop editor (I prefer Kernel Adiutor, since I can use filter functions; requires installed and functional BusyBox install)

After upgrading to TW Lollipop, your phone is almost ready for LTE usage. However, the OS has the LTE option disabled. If you go into the hidden menu you'll see that the LTE options are still there though. Contrary to many online spec sheets that said that the F350L only supports three bands, I was able to get an unlisted band, Band 3 (1800 MHz), working fine. I managed to enable LTE by changing the following option in build.prop on Lollipop:

ro.telephony.default_network=12

Restarted and the Mobile Data / Mobile Networks / Network Mode option finally showed GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto. Since then I've been enjoying LTE =).

PS: Don't forget to input your carrier's APN settings! Google is your friend, otherwise just call up your carrier's hotline and get the info.

Custom Recovery:

Pre-requisite: USB Debugging enabled, a USB data cable, and root access with SuperSU

The upgrade process discussed here doesn't take place through a custom recovery, only KDZ. As a result, even if you have root, you won't be able to flash zips, make dumps, or clear your cache so much.

Follow the instructions in this post to install the Chinese CWM recovery. After that, download this apk and install it (credit goes to @Hattori Suzuki for this valuable info). After installing this APK, run it and grant it root access. Tap the Flash Recovery option and you'll now have PhilZ recovery in English (thanks goes to @pereradileepa for this valuable resource)

Viper4Android:

Pre-requisite: Custom recovery and root access

I'm personally a big consumer of music, and can't do without having some tunes on the go. I found the sound on the G Pro 2 to be a bit too lacking in bass (especially when compared to my Optimus G E970), so I gave this a whirl. What ultimately worked for me was this mod (thumbs up goes to @AndrasLOHF for a wonderful contribution). Download it, put it on your G Pro 2, flash it via custom recovery, and V4A is installed.

To check whether or not V4A is working, open Viper4AndroidFX from the app drawer, tap on the three dots in the upper right corner, and go to Driver Status. If it says NEON Enabled: Yes and Status: Normal, you're good to go.

IF NOT, YOU MUST SET SELINUX TO PERMISSIVE!

There's a great app that you can get here that'll do so automatically for you, so just install that, set the mode to permissive, reboot, and check the driver status again (applause to @MrBIMC for such a great app). You should be good to go. Note that V4A doesn't work on all apps, at least for me. Google Play Music and Orpheus are the only apps that get processed by V4A. Neutron, Winamp, Onkyo HF Player, and N7Player just didn't play nicely with V4A. Ah, I think the YouTube app also works with V4A, I did notice a difference.

Tip: I hate how Play Music doesn't have folder capabilities, so I used N7Player to put music into the que, save it as a playlist, then open it in Play Music. For some reason, upon restarting the phone the playlist would disappear, so I opened the playlist I made from N7Player in Play Music and added it to a new playlist in Google Play Music that actually persists. For example, I save a que in N7Player as a playlist called Temp. I then open Play Music and find the Temp playlist in My Library. I open the playlist, tap the three dots and add the playlist items to a new playlist in Play Music, for example Favorites. When my phone restarts, the Temp playlist disappears from Play Music (it's still there in N7Player) but my Favorites playlist sticks just fine. Voila~

Happy headbanging.

A note on PhilZ Recovery: Any zips that I install give an annoying error about loki-fying. Ignore it, ultimately the zip that you wanted to install DID get installed. I've tested this with Xposed as well as V4A, and both cases I got an error on loki-fying. I tried turning it off in PhilZ but I have no clue what I was doing wrong, it wouldn't turn off, it still has an X in the Lokify option. Oh well, as long as it works.

Cheers!

Blitz9826

PS: Sorry if the details become too "thick." I personally hate having to read between lines wondering "WHAT DID YOU SEE AND WHAT DID YOU DO?!" I hope nobody reading this experiences such a feeling, thus the verbose details.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Reactions: inhalt

inhalt

Sep 30, 2011
Hi, blitz. So basically you flashed the D838 TOT and DLL files on your F350 to get it running D838 KitKat and then flashed the D838 V20d Kdz to get D838 Lollipop, right?
I own a D838 and I'm familiar with flashing via TOT+DLL so, if I understand correctly, I could flash my upcoming F350 with the D838 TOT+DLL files -I used to return from 5.0.1 to 4.4.2- to turn it into a D838...
If so, will I have to make any changes in the buildprop beforehand, as mentioned in other posts? Or just go ahead with the TOT+DLL flashing?

Thanks for your help :)

blitz9826

Apr 28, 2015
I just took my colleague to the shopkeeper, he bought one too! Third phone is ready for playing around with. I'll update as I try a new approach. This time, I'll edit the build.prop file directly (last time I didn't on my mom's phone), and like with my mom's phone, set the USB mode to LG Software (I forgot to mention this part on the last post because..... 36 hours of no sleep does that to you), and let's see how that fares. If it does a KDZ restore directly from stock 4.4.2 to the Taiwanese 20d firmware then hooray. Also for fun's sake, I'll leave the COM port alone first. If it doesn't work then I'll change the COM port to 42. Still no then 41. And if still nothing, ffs, TOT-then-KDZ it is. More info tomorrow.

This phone is costing 18,000 PKR (that's like a little less than 180 USD).... for THOSE specs, holy ****.

tshohel7

Oct 31, 2013
Dhaka
Tried This With My F350S & This Works Perfectly. I Have Flashed This Download D83820D TWN Via Philz Touch Recover. Everything is Fine. Thanks Man.

inhalt

Sep 30, 2011
Tried This With My F350S & This Works Perfectly. I Have Flashed This Download D83820D TWN Via Philz Touch Recover. Everything is Fine. Thanks Man.
Hi, tsohel. What did you do exactly? Today I received a F350S and, after editing the build.prop, tried flashing via zip and got Lollipop working but lost the double touch to wake up the screen. Also tried going back to KitKat via tot+dll and then flashed kdz with same result... I even installed Tizen 7.1 to no avail. I can't think of anything else to do, and knock-on and knock-code are a must for me...
Any ideas? Thanks

Enviado desde mi LG-D838 mediante Tapatalk

tshohel7

Oct 31, 2013
Dhaka
Hi, tsohel. What did you do exactly? Today I received a F350S and, after editing the build.prop, tried flashing via zip and got Lollipop working but lost the double touch to wake up the screen. Also tried going back to KitKat via tot+dll and then flashed kdz with same result... I even installed Tizen 7.1 to no avail. I can't think of anything else to do, and knock-on and knock-code are a must for me...
Any ideas? Thanks

Enviado desde mi LG-D838 mediante Tapatalk
First Flash This KDZ F350S20b_00.kdz & Then Changed Everything This Tutorial Said & Then Flash The ZIP D83820D TWN Via Recovery lollipop-hoangtnt. Thats It. Everything is Working Great.

blitz9826

Apr 28, 2015
@inhalt sorry to hear you're having such a problem. I've done four F350L phones with the same 20d TWN firmware and two of those with the aforementioned method, none have lost the double tap to wake. Can you share your exact steps that you took please?

inhalt

Sep 30, 2011
Well, I took them all :) I refreshed via TOT+DLL and then upgraded via KDZ, ZIP... They all worked but then I had the screen issues. Besides, reception is crap either on KitKat or Lollipop :(
I just think the phone is defective. Will be sending it back to the seller most likely, cause I've run out of ideas

blitz9826

Apr 28, 2015
I was actually thinking that might be the case. I didn't want to jump to conclusions though since you said it in a way that made it sound as if the double tap to wake and knock code were working stock when you first got it. So keep us posted when you get another phone.

Reactions: inhalt

frederic5000

Jul 15, 2013
Lisbon
can some help me plz? Ive sucefully converted to d838 but now i cant root the phone. i do all the steps and when the phone do download mode it does not do anything

any help is apreciated

Statiqrunner

Oct 19, 2015
yaounde
can some help me plz? Ive sucefully converted to d838 but now i cant root the phone. i do all the steps and when the phone do download mode it does not do anything

any help is apreciated

I don't really understand what you mean by download mode doesn't do anything. Immediately after converting to d838, do not connect to the internet. neither wireless nor data connection. Put on developer option and USB debugging. plug via USB to a connected pc and make sure all drivers are installed. use an online root tool like kingo or root genius. after root success. go to settings and reset the phone. After reboot, you can then connect and install supersu from play store. Thats what I did. The problem I have now is I can't install any custom recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some great news guys. On my third and fourth phones (not tries, PHONES), I finally found an incredibly easy approach to get the KDZ flash/upgrade working without having to downgrade or play around with download mode. Here are the steps I took , one by one. These steps have been confirmed on two phones: the first was the F350L running stock Kit Kat 4.4.2, and the second was an F350L running stock Lollipop (F350L20d, 5.0.1 Lollipop). The variations in both steps vary slightly depending on your OS, so pay attention please =3.

Requirements!!!
    • Before continuing, please ensure you have the LG Drivers installed as well as LG Flash Tool 2014. Both can be found here.
    • Additionally, you want to have the latest peachy clean KDZ already downloaded. I've used the D83820DTW, the very first one, very successfully all four times. Get the KDZ of your choice here.

Onwards!

Step 1:

Kit Kat Users: Root using Stump Root. After hitting Grind it'll ask to Brute Force. Do it, wait a while, and reboot (used latest APK at the time, v1.2.0; One Click Root and IORoot failed me).
    Lollipop Users: Follow the instructions as written here. DO NOT SKIP STEPS! For rooting Lollipop you will have to use download mode, no other way around it sadly.

Step 2: Install SuperSU (if on Kit Kat, Lollipop gets it with root), Kernel Adiutor (or any build.prop editor), and Busybox (required for Kernel Adiutor, skip if not needed).

Step 3: Once required Apps are installed (and you've rebooted for necessary SU access), change the following build.prop configurations:

ro.product.model = LG-D838
    ro.product.name = b1w_open_tw
    ro.product.device = b1w
    ro.build.target_operator = OPEN
    ro.build.target_country = TW

(much thanks to @tjlabais for this valuable info)

If you installed Kernel Adiutor, launch it. BusyBox must have installed properly. On the left main menu is a build.prop editor, so tap that. Kernel Adiutor has a nice search function that lets you filter the build.prop variables, so search for "prod" and "get" for the first three and last two parameters respectively ("prod" without quotes will get you all settings that have prod in them; some scrolling required, but a lot less than without filtering; "get" yields only three or four results anyway).

Step 4: Reboot after editing build.prop and check after reboot if these variables have changed. The new values should be there now.

Step 5: Connect the USB cable and set the USB mode to MTP.

Step 6: Launch LG Flash Tool 2014 on your PC (run as admin to be safe; UAC turned off in Win8/8.1/10 never gives true admin access)

Step 7: Select Type as 3GQCT and PhoneMode as DIAG. Select the KDZ file. It'll look something like the attached file at the bottom of this post. Then click Normal Mode. In the new window, click Start. NOTE: This mode WILL wipe your data. I've done it four times now, it's legit, you WILL lose your data.

Step 8: A new window shows up. Country doesn't matter, but language in my experience does. Set it to English so that the output in the tool is all English, otherwise you'll get a bunch of question marks or Korean. Click OK.

Step 9: In the flash tool, the first process will complete after a minute, verifying Windows and whatnot. Then it'll give you an error saying that the connection the to server failed. OK that, and wait a few seconds. The button towards the bottom right will say exit at first, but then change to retry. Hit retry. If the software's frozen and not responsive, it doesn't matter, don't close it. If you're keeping an eye on your phone, you'll see that some magic's started.

Step 9.5: The phone will auto restart into download mode at the right COM port. No fiddling in Device Manager needed. The KDZ will upload automagically at this point.

Step 10: Watch the magic on your phone~

Step 10.5: At this point it's safe to leave the flash tool alone. Once your phone restarts into normal operation, your flash tool MIGHT crash. It does with me (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). That's fine, cancel and close whatever was open. You're all set =3

Some tips: If your phone isn't connecting to Play Store for whatever reasons, just download the needed APKs (Kernel Aduitor and whatnot) and copy/paste/install them directly on the phone. My sister's Lollipop phone wasn't playing nice, probably because it was outside South Korea. Also, when you need to do lots of typing, this program called Vysor makes life easy by allowing you to control your android device remotely via USB. Just need USB debugging enabled and the PC needs to be authorized. Vysor is a Google Chrome app, so get it from Chrome's market. It's totally free, and damn useful.

Additional Information:

Root Access:

Pre-requisite: USB Debugging enabled and a USB data cable

As stated earlier, follow the instructions here completely to the letter, and you'll be a happy camper (mucho gracias to @Unjustified Dev).

NOTE: Make sure that when you run the Send_Command exe, it must be on the Com Port matching your DIAG mode.

Enabling LTE:

Pre-requisite: Root access with SuperSU and a build.prop editor (I prefer Kernel Adiutor, since I can use filter functions; requires installed and functional BusyBox install)

After upgrading to TW Lollipop, your phone is almost ready for LTE usage. However, the OS has the LTE option disabled. If you go into the hidden menu you'll see that the LTE options are still there though. Contrary to many online spec sheets that said that the F350L only supports three bands, I was able to get an unlisted band, Band 3 (1800 MHz), working fine. I managed to enable LTE by changing the following option in build.prop on Lollipop:

ro.telephony.default_network=12

Restarted and the Mobile Data / Mobile Networks / Network Mode option finally showed GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto. Since then I've been enjoying LTE =).

PS: Don't forget to input your carrier's APN settings! Google is your friend, otherwise just call up your carrier's hotline and get the info.

Custom Recovery:

Pre-requisite: USB Debugging enabled, a USB data cable, and root access with SuperSU

The upgrade process discussed here doesn't take place through a custom recovery, only KDZ. As a result, even if you have root, you won't be able to flash zips, make dumps, or clear your cache so much.

Follow the instructions in this post to install the Chinese CWM recovery. After that, download this apk and install it (credit goes to @Hattori Suzuki for this valuable info). After installing this APK, run it and grant it root access. Tap the Flash Recovery option and you'll now have PhilZ recovery in English (thanks goes to @pereradileepa for this valuable resource)

Viper4Android:

Pre-requisite: Custom recovery and root access

I'm personally a big consumer of music, and can't do without having some tunes on the go. I found the sound on the G Pro 2 to be a bit too lacking in bass (especially when compared to my Optimus G E970), so I gave this a whirl. What ultimately worked for me was this mod (thumbs up goes to @AndrasLOHF for a wonderful contribution). Download it, put it on your G Pro 2, flash it via custom recovery, and V4A is installed.

To check whether or not V4A is working, open Viper4AndroidFX from the app drawer, tap on the three dots in the upper right corner, and go to Driver Status. If it says NEON Enabled: Yes and Status: Normal, you're good to go.

IF NOT, YOU MUST SET SELINUX TO PERMISSIVE!

There's a great app that you can get here that'll do so automatically for you, so just install that, set the mode to permissive, reboot, and check the driver status again (applause to @MrBIMC for such a great app). You should be good to go. Note that V4A doesn't work on all apps, at least for me. Google Play Music and Orpheus are the only apps that get processed by V4A. Neutron, Winamp, Onkyo HF Player, and N7Player just didn't play nicely with V4A. Ah, I think the YouTube app also works with V4A, I did notice a difference.

Tip: I hate how Play Music doesn't have folder capabilities, so I used N7Player to put music into the que, save it as a playlist, then open it in Play Music. For some reason, upon restarting the phone the playlist would disappear, so I opened the playlist I made from N7Player in Play Music and added it to a new playlist in Google Play Music that actually persists. For example, I save a que in N7Player as a playlist called Temp. I then open Play Music and find the Temp playlist in My Library. I open the playlist, tap the three dots and add the playlist items to a new playlist in Play Music, for example Favorites. When my phone restarts, the Temp playlist disappears from Play Music (it's still there in N7Player) but my Favorites playlist sticks just fine. Voila~

Happy headbanging.

A note on PhilZ Recovery: Any zips that I install give an annoying error about loki-fying. Ignore it, ultimately the zip that you wanted to install DID get installed. I've tested this with Xposed as well as V4A, and both cases I got an error on loki-fying. I tried turning it off in PhilZ but I have no clue what I was doing wrong, it wouldn't turn off, it still has an X in the Lokify option. Oh well, as long as it works.

Cheers!

Blitz9826

PS: Sorry if the details become too "thick." I personally hate having to read between lines wondering "WHAT DID YOU SEE AND WHAT DID YOU DO?!" I hope nobody reading this experiences such a feeling, thus the verbose details.
    I was actually thinking that might be the case. I didn't want to jump to conclusions though since you said it in a way that made it sound as if the double tap to wake and knock code were working stock when you first got it. So keep us posted when you get another phone.