Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,275 Members 42,957 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lg G Pro D838 in the UK

Tip us?

jscsltd
Old
(Last edited by jscsltd; 19th April 2014 at 01:23 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Lg G Pro D838 in the UK

Hi,
Wonder if anyone has tried the D838 model in the UK? I'm on the T-Mobile/EE network but not too bothered about 4G.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

stupc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscsltd View Post
Hi,
Wonder if anyone has tried the D838 model in the UK? I'm on the T-Mobile/EE network but not too bothered about 4G.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app
Hi John,

I've had a D838 model in the UK for the past fortnight, imported from Hong Long. Haven't used the 4G because I'm on GiffGaff, which uses the O2 network, and the D838 can't get 4G on the bandwidth they have (I'm switching to Three very soon though, which should solve that "problem").

But mine works absolutely fine here, no problems whatsoever. Switched from a Note 2, which I'd had for almost two years - that was the best phone I'd ever had, but the G Pro 2 is substantially better - even the infra-red controller works perfectly (which, for some reason, I didn't expect)!

It's a fantastic phone!

Only downside at the moment is a lack of easy root for the phone, but no doubt that will come.

Any particular questions you had??
-StuPC

buenarc
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupc View Post
Hi John,

I've had a D838 model in the UK for the past fortnight, imported from Hong Long. Haven't used the 4G because I'm on GiffGaff, which uses the O2 network, and the D838 can't get 4G on the bandwidth they have (I'm switching to Three very soon though, which should solve that "problem").

But mine works absolutely fine here, no problems whatsoever. Switched from a Note 2, which I'd had for almost two years - that was the best phone I'd ever had, but the G Pro 2 is substantially better - even the infra-red controller works perfectly (which, for some reason, I didn't expect)!

It's a fantastic phone!

Only downside at the moment is a lack of easy root for the phone, but no doubt that will come.

Any particular questions you had??
-StuPC
Thank you for the information. Very helpful

jscsltd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Hi
Thanks very much for your reply. That certainly helps.
Where did you get yours from and what did you pay for it?
I'm still in two minds as to whether to wait for the D837 European model as the frequency coverage might be better suited to the UK and any travel in Europe.
Also, just wondering if LG might up the spec on the D837.

Thanks, John.

Sent from my SM-T320 using xda app-developers app

buenarc
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Hi
I'm still in two minds as to whether to wait for the D837 European model as the frequency coverage might be better suited to the UK and any travel in Europe.

Thanks, John.

Thank you for the information. Very helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to buenarc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stupc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Hi

Thanks, John.

Bought mine from eBay for 478 - couldn't wait for the D837, which (as far as I'm aware) still hasn't been confirmed for the UK...

candyman993
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Hi all..does this mean that the d838 will work fine in using 3g nd 4G on ee ? I'm also wanting to buy this phone...there is a eBay seller based in the UK that stock these..best price i can find is 395 with free delivery I'll will try nd share the link on here

stupc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman993 View Post
Hi all..does this mean that the d838 will work fine in using 3g nd 4G on ee ? I'm also wanting to buy this phone...there is a eBay seller based in the UK that stock these..best price i can find is 395 with free delivery I'll will try nd share the link on here
I've used mine on Giffgaff (which piggybacks on the O2 network) but now switched to Three so I can use 4G (the D838 won't work with O2's 4G network, but does work with Three's).
Calls and data have all worked absolutely fine on both networks - not a single problem.

EE's 4G works on the 1800MHz band, which the D838 can use.

One small warning about buying at that price - be careful you don't get hit with customs charges. I bought mine at 478 because they guaranteed no customs charges (it was sent to a UK address, then sent to me from there), but I bought a previous phone nice and cheap from HK and had to pay about 60 to customs, which meant it was no cheaper!
-StuPC

candyman993
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks for the reply so quick....I cant share the eBay link on here for some reason..im using my mobile though..ive contacted the seller..nd he has loads in stock already in the UK. ..so there is no other extra fees..nd everything is legit too...so I think I'm going to go ahead nd get 1 in the next few weeks..glad it works with ee...hope 3 works too...hope some one can point me the right direction to share the eBay link

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Above is the item number

stupc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman993 View Post
Thanks for the reply so quick....I cant share the eBay link on here for some reason..im using my mobile though..ive contacted the seller..nd he has loads in stock already in the UK. ..so there is no other extra fees..nd everything is legit too...so I think I'm going to go ahead nd get 1 in the next few weeks..glad it works with ee...hope 3 works too...hope some one can point me the right direction to share the eBay link

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Above is the item number
It's a fantastic phone - you won't regret it.