Replacement LCD Quality vs. Your Original Screen

How identical is your relacement screen quality to the original LCD display?

• Exact Match

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Slightly Off

Votes: 30 29.1%
  • Not Identical

Votes: 28 27.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
For the replacement of the SIM reader, apparently the one on Samsung S4 is pretty easy to replace - just remove and stick on.

SIM Replacement Samsung S4

I took a look at the G2 - apparently there is no way I can remove without breaking the old SIM reader off and resoldering a new piece back on. Am I seeing things right?

It looks as if you are seeing things right.
The sim card holder could be soldered on.

I've never done this repair for this phone so I do not have first hand knowledge...take what I say with a grain of salt.

To complete the repair, you'll need a soldering iron for microelectronics and some kind of magnifying glass to see where the beads go and how to properly detatch the old ones and solder the new leads.

Does anyone know if ifixit has a walkthrough for this?
Please help hwsv07 out with this....

[url]http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221316876560&alt=web[/url]

The screen i got

Thanks!

Wish they sold in the US as well.
Would be willing to give them a try

hwsv07

May 21, 2014
It looks as if you are seeing things right.
The sim card holder could be soldered on.

I've never done this repair for this phone so I do not have first hand knowledge...take what I say with a grain of salt.

To complete the repair, you'll need a soldering iron for microelectronics and some kind of magnifying glass to see where the beads go and how to properly detatch the old ones and solder the new leads.

Does anyone know if ifixit has a walkthrough for this?
Please help hwsv07 out with this....

Thanks!

Wish they sold in the US as well.
Would be willing to give them a try

i searched around but could not find anyone online who has done this.

Would be great if anyone has done this before.

tbob18

Jul 24, 2007
Chicago
www.flickr.com
Well I dropped my phone and the digitizer is spider-webbed. Interestingly it was only from about 3ft on carpet.. I think when the frame and glass are separated the glass breaks much easier. Luckily the digitizer seems to work the same as it did before, a section still is non-working.

I tried my newer replacement again and it has the same issue.. It makes the phone very, very slow. I unplugged the two digitizer cables and it does the same thing with my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.. So there is something wrong with the LCD whether it is the cable or what I don't know.

I may try to transplant the digitizer from that assembly to my first screen that has a broken digitizer.. I wish I could just find a replacement that doesn't have any glass separation or digitizer issues. For now I've just put my broken screen back in, and I also got a new battery because I punctured my original one when trying to get it out last time. I cleaned all the adhesive out and just put the new battery in bare.

Last edited:

Apr 13, 2010
Amazon Kindle Fire
LG V30S
I got lucky I guess.
Found a busted LG G2 and only the digitizer and glass were busted. I ordered a replacement frame That has everything pre-assembled.
Picture quality has been fine. At the start it has two yellow marks in the bottom cornors, but they have faded away.
Only thing I have noticed is that the screen is sensitive to touch. Sometimes it feels like I don't even touch it and it takes input.

Found it on eBay.
Here is the link.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191534595271&alt=web

Sent from my rooted LG VS980!

Reactions: tiguy99

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Well I dropped my phone and the digitizer is spider-webbed. Interestingly it was only from about 3ft on carpet.. I think when the frame and glass are separated the glass breaks much easier. Luckily the digitizer seems to work the same as it did before, a section still is non-working.

I tried my newer replacement again and it has the same issue.. It makes the phone very, very slow. I unplugged the two digitizer cables and it does the same thing with my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.. So there is something wrong with the LCD whether it is the cable or what I don't know.

I may try to transplant the digitizer from that assembly to my first screen that has a broken digitizer.. I wish I could just find a replacement that doesn't have any glass separation or digitizer issues. For now I've just put my broken screen back in, and I also got a new battery because I punctured my original one when trying to get it out last time. I cleaned all the adhesive out and just put the new battery in bare.

Could be something wrong with your screen.
Where did you buy the replacement from?

I've head folks use the panel app to see which screen they have and run an app to correct the issue.

At the very least you can try update touch firmware option to see if it'll fix the issue...
Have you looked into that?

Just got my refunds from my Ebay sellers for the LCD/Digitizer & Screen Frame.
After going back and fourth searching for an available combo screen replacement, I decided to return to Amazon to see if I can try again.

I bought this screen below

Amazon Link to D801 Combo Screen

After purchasing, I sent this email to the seller....will keep you guys posted

email to Amazon Seller said:
Good evening. I have purchased this screen multiple times on Amazon and Ebay and have noticed these screens claim to be OEM quality but many are not.

Unfortunately I have purchased 4 screens which claimed to be brand new but had defects such as dead pixels, dark spots, no color at all ( almost black & white picture with one of them), horrible contrast, very little viewing angle (with another) compared to the original LG G2 screen that was on my phone.

It has made this experience quite disappointing as it seems only the manufacturer has a true genuine screen replacement.

After reading your advertisement, I was convinced you may have what I need to finally replace my old screen in my LG G2 smartphone.

Please make sure you 100% fully test my screen before you ship it and make sure it does not have any of the above issues.

If you have a working LG G2 phone, please hold this screen side by side with that screen to do your test comparisons.

I bought one from 8090team last month on Amazon and asked them to test that screen however I was sent a screen with really bad viewing angles compared to the original LG screen I have right here in my hand.

I could barely tilt my hand before the screen washes out. It was a defective replacement screen and not 100% comparable to the factory LG G2 screen as advertised.

The comparison was that bad.

I am asking you to fully test my screen you are sending me. Please check it for defects and if you need to take an extra day to ship it to me because you have to test it, I am granting permission for you to do so.

I expect to have a fully functional, free from defects, 100% LG G2 factory made quality model D801 screen as advertised when this arrives to me in a few days.

I will be sure to leave feedback after the screen arrives and we can install it.
I look forward to leaving a positive review!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you

Also discovered I need a new battery and bought one as well.
Be careful if you notice your old one starts to swell and lose charge more rapidly.

That's a sign its on its way out & should be replaced

Last edited:

tbob18

Jul 24, 2007
Chicago
www.flickr.com
Could be something wrong with your screen.
Where did you buy the replacement from?

I've head folks use the panel app to see which screen they have and run an app to correct the issue.

At the very least you can try update touch firmware option to see if it'll fix the issue...
Have you looked into that?

Just got my refunds from my Ebay sellers for the LCD/Digitizer & Screen Frame.
After going back and fourth searching for an available combo screen replacement, I decided to return to Amazon to see if I can try again.

I bought this screen below

Amazon Link to D801 Combo Screen

After purchasing, I sent this email to the seller....will keep you guys posted

Also discovered I need a new battery and bought one as well.
Be careful if you notice your old one starts to swell and lose charge more rapidly.

That's a sign its on its way out & should be replaced

Yeah, I got these screens last year from eBay. One worked ok but the glass was separating and there were some spots on the screen. They sent me another one but it had the same glass issue, so I didn't feel like taking apart my phone so I just stuck with the first one (which the digitizer is now cracked).

My first replacement was a different type than my original, so I had to change the panel type. I tried that on the slow one and it didn't change anything.
I completely unplugged the digitizer and the screen still caused the phone to run very slow, I doubt the firmware has anything to do with it.

I emailed a few sellers this:
Hi there,
Are these extensively tested before they are shipped to be sure of no ghost touch issues? Can you guarantee that the glass will not be separating from the frame and is that looked for when tested?
If there is a defect with the item will you cover the shipping? I have ordered two assemblies for G2's and both had the glass separating from the frame on arrival.

I have attached an example of the glass separating from the frame on my previous purchases from Ebay.

Thank you.

One seller responded with this:
hi , there
 i am selling a full assembly , it is fuse together as one piece .
not able to guarantee

I'll be waiting for a proper response before I come close to purchasing another one.

Last edited:

beankid

May 21, 2010
Do you guys think this phone is worth the troubles tracking down a screen replacement? Trying to find a good replacement screen and frame assembly is proving to be difficult. I'd love to keep using this phone but with the Ghost touches happening even more frequently here now I'm about to throw it up on fleabay and let it be someone elses problem.

realloyalist

Dec 18, 2010
What about getting a screen/digitizer from Repairs Universe, repairs / universe / .com? I've purchased 2 screens/digitizers from them and need to purchase a third. I have the G2 VS980 which is the USA Verizon variant. Repairs Universe has both Verizon and non-verizon variants with the Verizon one including the Verizon logo. I haven't been able to tell a difference between the screens though I'm not the best judge of that kind of thing. The screen + digitizer are $59.99 + shipping. They also have screen/digitizer + frame kits though the Verizon one is Unavailable. The first time I replaced the screen because I got a deep gouge which affected both the screen and digitizer. The second time I messed the screen up trying to re-glue it down and must have put too much pressure on the back as it became multi-colored afterwards. Now the screen is in perfect condition but there is a strip near the top that doesn't respond to touch and is beginning to have phantom touches. I thought about just getting a used G3 from Swappa but decided the G2 is still a great phone even compared to the G4 it seems.

Does anybody have a recommendation for good adhesive? The couple times I've replaced the screen I've used a roll of 2mm or 3mm (can't remember which) 3M tape/glue. The problem is I don't have the tools/fingers to accurately cut and place the adhesive so it never holds very well and the screen pushed up resting a bit above the frame allowing for edge bleed and dust to get in there.

Last edited:

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Do you guys think this phone is worth the troubles tracking down a screen replacement? Trying to find a good replacement screen and frame assembly is proving to be difficult. I'd love to keep using this phone but with the Ghost touches happening even more frequently here now I'm about to throw it up on fleabay and let it be someone elses problem.

Personally, I find myself going back and fourth with this question.
I think of the alternatives I can have without having to shell out "new phone money"

Then I smile and remember I have the best phone on the block for its value.

In plain English, there's no other phone that's like the G2....especially when you have a 100% mint condition working phone.
In 2015, it still blows many phones out of the water which for almost 2 year old cell phones says ALOT!

Conclusion.....only reason I would get rid of my phone now is if it got stolen or I was ready to drop an additional 2-300 on a new phone which performance wise will be close if not the same as what I have now if that makes sense....

That's what keeps me around

Does anybody have a recommendation for good adhesive? The couple times I've replaced the screen I've used a roll of 2mm or 3mm (can't remember which) 3M tape/glue. The problem is I don't have the tools/fingers to accurately cut and place the adhesive so it never holds very well and the screen pushed up resting a bit above the frame allowing for edge bleed and dust to get in there.

When I bought the last screen off Ebay I went with this kind of 3M adhesive

Its the exact type that's on the phone from the factory = perfect fitment :good:

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Got my new Amazon combo screen yesterday.
Waiting for the new battery to complete my swap

Tested it really quick and can say looks good so far! (No spots, good viewing angle, nice picture quality etc)
Pics from the old iphone 4s

IMG_4796_zpsth3qvti7.jpg

IMG_4798_zpsx7ifojjc.jpg

IMG_4799_zpskkd3k0cz.jpg

tbob18

Jul 24, 2007
Chicago
www.flickr.com
Got my new Amazon combo screen yesterday.
Waiting for the new battery to complete my swap

Tested it really quick and can say looks good so far! (No spots, good viewing angle, nice picture quality etc)
Pics from the old iphone 4s

Nice, that is the one with the frame? Let us know how the digitizer works keep an eye out for for any ghost touches and separation between the frame and glass (where the backlight shows through the edges). I don't understand why it says not compatible with the LS980, it uses the same frame as the D800, it has D800 stamped right on it.

A few more sellers responded (I contacted about ten sellers).. Of course they didn't really answer anything. I have a feeling a lot of these sellers are the same people.

professorparts said:
hi
All item had been tested before ship
Dot worry
thanks

power_gamer_usa1 said:
hi
Dont worry about that. All item had been tested before ship
thanks

gamemart.usa said:
hi
Dont worry. All item had been tested
thanks

Last edited:

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Nice, that is the one with the frame? Let us know how the digitizer works keep an eye out for for any ghost touches and separation between the frame and glass (where the backlight shows through the edges). I don't understand why it says not compatible with the LS980, it uses the same frame as the D800, it has D800 stamped right on it.

A few more sellers responded (I contacted about ten sellers).. Of course they didn't really answer anything. I have a feeling a lot of these sellers are the same people.

Yes it's the screen/frame combo.
Will do once my new battery arrives later this week.

Also notice the first 2 screens I bought:

a. had cheap glass that showed fingerprints worse than the original screen
b. weren't fused well together meaning I can press on them with medium pressure and get rainbow effects vs. the original screen

Email the seller where I got my screen and see if they can clarify which versions they sell.
If you ask them to test it beforehand, you may also get a good replacement screen!

Hi
[I broke my screen twice...
I think the replacement is slightly better
Imho

Awesome!
Please share where you got your replacement screen and participate in the poll above if you haven't already

tbob18

Jul 24, 2007
Chicago
www.flickr.com
Yes it's the screen/frame combo.
Will do once my new battery arrives later this week.

Also notice the first 2 screens I bought:

a. had cheap glass that showed fingerprints worse than the original screen
b. weren't fused well together meaning I can press on them with medium pressure and get rainbow effects vs. the original screen

Email the seller where I got my screen and see if they can clarify which versions they sell.
If you ask them to test it beforehand, you may also get a good replacement screen!

Which seller did you get yours from? From the reviews it seems like SunnyCalUSA may be the best out of the available sellers, but they do charge a bit more.

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Thanks. I think I'll go with 8090Team if yours works well, as they are fulfilled by Amazon and have good ratings. They also got back to me saying that it fits the LS980 and the Amazon description has an error, it does not fit the VS980 (obviously).

If you go with 8090team, be sure to have them test the screen thoroughly before they ship.
That Amazon seller sold me the 3rd screen I had with the bad viewing angle on page 1 of this thread.

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Was that from 6839partsinc or 8090Team?

8090team.

Amazon is weird.
I'm starting to notice if one seller is out of stock it automatically selects a second seller for you.

I think that's what happened with me this last time.
I wanted to try the 8090team guys again but ended up buying my new screen from 6839partsinc.

Either way, make sure you request they test your screen thoroughly before it ships to prevent getting a defective one.
Can't wait for my new battery to come so I can finally swap this screen out and give my full review!

Think it may come today :D

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Ok so my battery arrived. Took the phone with me this afternoon and Installed the screen and battery while my wife got her hair done.
Everything came together perfectly until one thing....dead new battery.

Said OK... Maybe just needs to be charged.
Plugged the car charger in and everything was still dead.

Fine I said. Will triple quadruple check everything again when I get home.
Still not suspecting the battery.

Well I got home and did my thing only to find still had the same problem.
Stumped....

Finally said what the hell....grabbed the old battery and sure enough everything fired up on the first try.
Well this piece of crap Amazon battery is going back.

Good thing I'm extra paranoid when they ship from overseas so I bought an extra battery earlier this week from a U.S. based seller.
Should be here tomorrow.

Will report back with pics full details etc....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After a shattered screen i got it replaced.two months waoting time.now have jdi panel but brightness is very low and have lots of screen bleed around the edges.the repairman did not do a good job but the panel itself is of lower quality.color and contrast ok but luminosity is about 70%of the original...not happy but no money for yet another panel...
    Conclusion:dont drop the phone...
    I think etradesupply was the most reputable supplier, but obviously they can ship bad units too. It's always going to be the luck of the draw. So far I've spent a total of a few months waiting for screens for the g2. The etradesupply one worked fine but shattered on a very short drop onto asphalt, I suspect because the cheap plastic frame was already beat up compromising the integrity of the phone. Hopefully I will receive a working replacement this week and sell this damn thing.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

The last one had a bad digitizer.
    How are you liking your 5x?

It's probably the closest phone I could have got to replace the G2. It's a similar size - well, actually, it's closer to the G3 but I don't mind having slightly larger bezels as it means less 'accidental' taps. The LCD is near identical (which is a very GOOD thing - it has fantastic contrast and we don't need 1440p draining our batteries!) but it's better calibrated and maybe slightly brighter at 100%. To start with, I found the 5X disappointingly 'janky' in places compared to my Snapdragon 800 devices running Marshmallow builds, but since I put CM on it and ditched the encryption, it's just as smooth or better. With both running CM13, the battery life is very close (although the 5X is better on mobile data, I guess that's the benefit of newer generation modems.) Build quality at this early stage seems similar to the G2 - I am concerned about it being a multi-layered 'sandwich' vs. the unibody construction of the G2 but it's much better than the creaky, flexible original Nexus 5 at least.

All in all, it's a pleasant phone and seems like a decent replacement for the G2 - but not a very substantial upgrade, I wouldn't have bothered if I'd have had to pay! Also, the 5X doesn't have an IR transmitter although I can't remember the last time I used it.

Shame I'm still missing out on wireless charging and expandable storage, but I'm sure a company will eventually make my 'perfect' phone :p Since my contract ends in February anyway, I'll have a look at what's on the market then. Hopefully some SD820 devices :D
    For those of you who've replaced your screens either DIY or via LG warranty replacement...please post how your screen quality and viewing angles compare to the original LCD.

I'll start...

1. On my Current G2, I had a perfect screen. Perfect viewing angles and excellent image quality with no defects
    2. Ebay Replacement screen #1 had dead pixels and Mira lines.
    3. Ebay replacement screen # 2 had horrible color. Almost black and white
    4. Amazon replacement screen has great color & image quality but lesser degree of viewing angles.
    It's hard to explain but easy to compare to other G2s and phones when you compare side by side.

After all these screen swaps in the last couple months I've decided to keep this screen and use the phone as is.

How does your replacement screen compare to the original one?

I got a few of them from eBay, I can link you the buyer if you want, I've sold them and they are close to OEM, they only have one MAJOR flaw, they are thicker. While you'd think this wouldn't be an issue, they are thick enough to not be able to slip into most cases, so it's annoying.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/wholesaleblimited?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

That's the ebay seller I use for replacement parts.

So far the screens have been OEM quality( G2, GPro, AHD) I've bought a few from there, and they all have great quality, except for the thickness, they all seem to be thicker, this is probably due to it not being real gorilla glass, and just a knock off lol.
    How much did that cost you?

Mine, one year ago, was $153.