Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,105 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD]YouTube 1080p enabler for AOSP based roms

Tip us?

GizmoKaca
Old
(Last edited by GizmoKaca; 18th August 2014 at 07:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 231
Default [MOD]YouTube 1080p enabler for AOSP based roms

Hello. I thought I would share this little tip for people who enjoy AOSP roms, but miss the 1080p option in the YouTube app.

Simply change this line in your build.prop file.

ro.build.version.release=4.4.4

change it to:

ro.build.version.release=4.4.2

Save it

Reboot your device.

If it doesn't work right away you simply go to YouTube App Info and press Clear cache and Clear data. Then open the YouTube app again and enjoy 1080p!

Hope this helps you guys and big thanks to twizzlebizzle21 for discovering this. Here is the original post on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...e_by_changing/

Works perfectly on the latest build of Mahdi rom for me.
Sent from my LG-D802
The Following User Says Thank You to GizmoKaca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Smoke28
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoKaca View Post
Hello. I thought I would share this little tip for people who enjoy AOSP roms, but miss the 1080p option in the YouTube app.

Simply change this line in your build.prop file.

ro.build.version.release=4.4.4

change it to:

ro.build.version.release=4.4.2

Save it

Reboot your device.

If it doesn't work right away you simply go to YouTube App Info and press Clear cache and Clear data. Then open the YouTube app again and enjoy 1080p!

Hope this helps you guys and big thanks to Android Authority for tweeting out this great tip!

Works perfectly on the latest build of Mahdi rom for me.
This is great! I've been uploading videos to YouTube and testing them with several kinds of devices, too!

GizmoKaca
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke28 View Post
This is great! I've been uploading videos to YouTube and testing them with several kinds of devices, too!
Nice! BTW this should also enable the 1440p option, if you happen to own a device with a Quad HD display!
Sent from my LG-D802

mannequin
Old
Thanks Meter 175
it's all fun and games but the real question here is why it doesn't work on stock LG that has "4.4.2" in it's build.prop as is.

GizmoKaca
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannequin View Post
it's all fun and games but the real question here is why it doesn't work on stock LG that has "4.4.2" in it's build.prop as is.
Yeah. That is very strange if that is indeed the case... The G3 ported roms all work great with 1080p though... I think Google will soon flip the switch and make it work out of the box
Sent from my LG-D802

cakessi
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Thank You

Works on my 2013 Nexus 7 running Paranoid Android latest. Could doing this have any adverse effects?