Comparison of charging currents (LG vs normal chargers)

OP seanp25

6th August 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

83 posts
This information might be out there already, but after noticing the LG charger works much faster at charging my G2 than a Nexus 7 charger, I did a quick test using CurrentWidget to record the charging currents for each setup to see if it's the special LG USB cable or the LG charger base / AC travel adaptor (or a combination of both) which is needed to enable the fast charging.

It's been mentioned here before that there are extra non-standard pins / contactors on the LG USB cable which presumably are used to deliver higher charging current, but it seems that there is nothing special about the LG charger base / AC travel adaptor which use these. Using a standard generic AC charger with a USB port on it is enough to charge the phone quickly as long as the LG cable is used. (and provided its rated for a current output >1.8A)

LG charger + LG cable ......... 1600mA
LG charger + standard cable .... 250mA
2A charger + standard cable .... 270mA
2A charger + LG cable ......... 1600mA

(Tested using D802 running Mahdi Rom 07/29)
Last edited by seanp25; 6th August 2014 at 10:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seanp25 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2014, 11:00 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

31 posts
well thanks for the info. it is good to know
6th August 2014, 11:57 AM   |  #3  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,095

6,960 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanp25

This information might be out there already, but after noticing the LG charger works much faster at charging my G2 than a Nexus 7 charger, I did a quick test using CurrentWidget to record the charging currents for each setup to see if it's the special LG USB cable or the LG charger base / AC travel adaptor (or a combination of both) which is needed to enable the fast charging.

Neither. I use a multi-USB charge station and a third party USB cable and get high speed charging on my G2.
6th August 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 182

358 posts
A number of cables will work but it seems hit and miss. My Nexus 10 is just the same, but even worse. With the 'wrong' cable it can take 3 days to charge, even when off.
6th August 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #5  
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 517

1,706 posts
Donate to Me
More
I use a Blackberry Playbook charger rated at 1.8A/5VDC, and according to GSAM it charges at up to 1500ma depending on battery level, about the same as the stock charger and seems to charge it just as fast... pretty cheap too, just over $5 shipped... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
charging, charging current, current, lg cable, usb
Previous Thread Next Thread