Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 52,669 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Comparison of charging currents (LG vs normal chargers)

Tip us?

seanp25
Old
(Last edited by seanp25; 6th August 2014 at 10:11 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Comparison of charging currents (LG vs normal chargers)

This information might be out there already, but after noticing the LG charger works much faster at charging my G2 than a Nexus 7 charger, I did a quick test using CurrentWidget to record the charging currents for each setup to see if it's the special LG USB cable or the LG charger base / AC travel adaptor (or a combination of both) which is needed to enable the fast charging.

It's been mentioned here before that there are extra non-standard pins / contactors on the LG USB cable which presumably are used to deliver higher charging current, but it seems that there is nothing special about the LG charger base / AC travel adaptor which use these. Using a standard generic AC charger with a USB port on it is enough to charge the phone quickly as long as the LG cable is used. (and provided its rated for a current output >1.8A)

LG charger + LG cable ......... 1600mA
LG charger + standard cable .... 250mA
2A charger + standard cable .... 270mA
2A charger + LG cable ......... 1600mA

(Tested using D802 running Mahdi Rom 07/29)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seanp25 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

seriallife
Old
Thanks Meter 2
well thanks for the info. it is good to know

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanp25 View Post
This information might be out there already, but after noticing the LG charger works much faster at charging my G2 than a Nexus 7 charger, I did a quick test using CurrentWidget to record the charging currents for each setup to see if it's the special LG USB cable or the LG charger base / AC travel adaptor (or a combination of both) which is needed to enable the fast charging.
Neither. I use a multi-USB charge station and a third party USB cable and get high speed charging on my G2.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

ChrisM75
Old
Thanks Meter 126
A number of cables will work but it seems hit and miss. My Nexus 10 is just the same, but even worse. With the 'wrong' cable it can take 3 days to charge, even when off.

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 473

DONATE TO ME
I use a Blackberry Playbook charger rated at 1.8A/5VDC, and according to GSAM it charges at up to 1500ma depending on battery level, about the same as the stock charger and seems to charge it just as fast... pretty cheap too, just over $5 shipped... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
Tags
charging, charging current, current, lg cable, usb