Post Reply

LG G2 apparently has USB 3.0

12th September 2013, 04:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
194 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I'm not sure if this was discussed or brought up in any review/presentation i saw. I plugged my phone into my computer and i get the little windows pop-up this drive can perform faster if plugged into a 3.0 usb. I haven't tried it yet, since my 3.0s are behind my tower. Anyone notice or try this to confirm?
Last edited by Darkestred; 12th September 2013 at 04:33 PM.
12th September 2013, 04:32 PM   |  #2  
WhiteZero's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Central Illinois
Thanks Meter: 90
 
388 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkestred

I'm not sure if this was discussed or brought up in any review/presentation i saw. I plugged my phone into my computer and i get the little windows pop-up this drive can perform faster if plugged into a 3.0 usb. I haven't tried it yet, since my 3.0s are behind my tower. Anyone notice or try this to confirm?

I've heard about this as well. But I don't see how it's possible since the G2 dosen't have a USB 3.0 Micro-B port. Compared to the Galaxy Note 3, which does.

I'm pretty sure people are seeing this message because the Snapdragon 800 chipset supports it. But the G2 does not actually have the circuitry for it.
Last edited by WhiteZero; 12th September 2013 at 04:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteZero For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th September 2013, 04:37 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
194 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteZero

I've heard about this as well. But I don't see how it's possible since the G2 dosen't have a USB 3.0 Micro-B port. Compared to the Galaxy Note 3, which does.

LG's own spec only says 2.0, so I'm pretty sure people are seeing this message because the Snapdragon 800 chipset supports it. But the G2 does not actually have the circuitry for it.

you would be correct. Tested it out. Even plugging into 3.0 it still pops up that message and it still took 25 seconds for a 430meg file.
5th October 2013, 06:01 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
The USB port used on the LG G2 does indeed have extra pins that could be used for USB 3.0. If you look directly at the port, there is an additional 5 pins recessed behind the standard connector. As of yet I cannot figure out what they do, but they may be a proprietary connector for a custom slim USB 3.0 connection. They could also be for some other uses, such as video out or for connecting to accessories, but I don't know what.
5th October 2013, 09:01 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdadog

The USB port used on the LG G2 does indeed have extra pins that could be used for USB 3.0. If you look directly at the port, there is an additional 5 pins recessed behind the standard connector. As of yet I cannot figure out what they do, but they may be a proprietary connector for a custom slim USB 3.0 connection. They could also be for some other uses, such as video out or for connecting to accessories, but I don't know what.

I was wondering what all the recessed pins were there for, I assumed some future lg accessory
5th October 2013, 11:12 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyspants

I was wondering what all the recessed pins were there for, I assumed some future lg accessory

Here's to hoping they see more use than the Galaxy Nexus' POGO pins.
6th October 2013, 12:10 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
I dunno, the official spec sheet shows USB 2.0.

LOOK: http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachd...9.47.50_PM.jpg

Look at the bottom spec area.
Last edited by Sushiglobster; 6th October 2013 at 12:15 AM.
6th October 2013, 12:14 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Manalapan, NJ
Thanks Meter: 134
 
519 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2007
More
Pics? No idea where you guys are looking.

Sent from my G2
6th October 2013, 01:20 AM   |  #9  
jonathan3579's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 239
 
1,459 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkestred

I'm not sure if this was discussed or brought up in any review/presentation i saw. I plugged my phone into my computer and i get the little windows pop-up this drive can perform faster if plugged into a 3.0 usb. I haven't tried it yet, since my 3.0s are behind my tower. Anyone notice or try this to confirm?

Yeah, the same thing popped up on my laptop 2 days ago when I plugged it in. I've been wondering about this...

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th October 2013, 02:10 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 52
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdadog

If you look directly at the port, there is an additional 5 pins recessed behind the standard connector.

I guess that it is HDMI pins

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in G2 General by ThreadRank