5,814,939 Members 47,213 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help - New phone came rooted?

Tip us?
 
dorlev
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 33
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default [Q] Need help - New phone came rooted?

Hello, i purchased a "new" lg g2 from HK.
The device came with SU installed and had no plastic on the screen.

Also - when trying to update to kit-kat it says "device is not registered'.

Could this be a new phone? Is it fake? Or just used??

Thanks!
 
Preggy
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 184
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlev View Post
Hello, i purchased a "new" lg g2 from HK.
The device came with SU installed and had no plastic on the screen.

Also - when trying to update to kit-kat it says "device is not registered'.

Could this be a new phone? Is it fake? Or just used??

Thanks!
You could type *#06# into your dialler and the IMEI should show up. Then you can type your IMEI into this URL behind "esn=" instead of ***

Code:
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=***
If it's a fake I'd guess you'd get something like this:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b...andomNonG2IMEI
Code:
<response req_cmd="auth_model_check" status="FAIL"/>
If the IMEI is good that link should give you a link to the latest firmware for your particular model, like this for my D802

Code:
<sw_url>
http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FW157106432109876543213/D80220F_00.kdz
</sw_url>
and you can probably flash that according to this thread to get the device to factory default and latest official update.
or at least that's what I would try
 
dorlev
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 33
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preggy View Post
You could type *#06# into your dialler and the IMEI should show up. Then you can type your IMEI into this URL behind "esn=" instead of ***

Code:
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=***
If it's a fake I'd guess you'd get something like this:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b...andomNonG2IMEI
Code:
<response req_cmd="auth_model_check" status="FAIL"/>
If the IMEI is good that link should give you a link to the latest firmware for your particular model, like this for my D802

Code:
<sw_url>
http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FW157106432109876543213/D80220F_00.kdz
</sw_url>
and you can probably flash that according to this thread to get the device to factory default and latest official update.
or at least that's what I would try
So i clicked the link from my lg g2 and got the "fail" message. Does that mean the phone is fake?? What should I do about it??
 
dorlev
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 33
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default but

Then again, I Checked imei.info and got lg g2 d802....
 
Preggy
Old
(Last edited by Preggy; 4th September 2014 at 02:43 PM.)
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 184
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlev View Post
So i clicked the link from my lg g2 and got the "fail" message. Does that mean the phone is fake?? What should I do about it??
If you put your IMEI into the URL and a fail came back I would say that means that the device you have is not in fact an LG G2.
The clickable link I posted is a counter-example of what you should get and not indicative of anything. Copy
Code:
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=***
into the address bar in your browser and replace *** with your IMEI. The IMEI is the number that should show up when you type *#06# into your dialler (you can also find it under Settings>About phone>Status>IMEI).
Then hit enter and see what shows up.
Keep in mind I can't say for sure as I have never encountered that case... Maybe try to find more things that could indicate the authenticity (or lack thereof).
Check the "About phone" section in your settings, dig through the build.prop file etc (you'll find stuff if you google I'm sure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlev View Post
Then again, I Checked imei.info and got lg g2 d802....
Well there you go, now if you follow my link (plug in your IMEI first) then you can download a factory image and flash that to completely restore/update the phone

Edit: I guess that also means that the device is not new as it has at least been rooted...
 
dorlev
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 33
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preggy View Post
If you put your IMEI into the URL and a fail came back I would say that means that the device you have is not in fact an LG G2.
The clickable link I posted is a counter-example of what you should get and not indicative of anything. Copy
Code:
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=***
into the address bar in your browser and replace *** with your IMEI. The IMEI is the number that should show up when you type *#06# into your dialler (you can also find it under Settings>About phone>Status>IMEI).
Then hit enter and see what shows up.
Keep in mind I can't say for sure as I have never encountered that case... Maybe try to find more things that could indicate the authenticity (or lack thereof).
Check the "About phone" section in your settings, dig through the build.prop file etc (you'll find stuff if you google I'm sure)



Well there you go, now if you follow my link (plug in your IMEI first) then you can download a factory image and flash that to completely restore/update the phone

Edit: I guess that also means that the device is not new as it has at least been rooted...
So wierd, i ordered 4 phones, two work and the other 2 gives "fail" message.
They look identical in every way, software and firmware wise... could this device be stolen or just not registered as a "sold" unit at lg??
 
Preggy
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 184
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlev View Post
So wierd, i ordered 4 phones, two work and the other 2 gives "fail" message.
They look identical in every way, software and firmware wise... could this device be stolen or just not registered as a "sold" unit at lg??
Sorry, I have to pass on this one did you check imei.info as well? maybe the site I suggested cant handle certain model variants of the G2 (there are about 8 different variants).
If you can, get the app Build Prop Editor by JRummy and search for "ro.product.model" or simply "model" and see what comes up. (Maybe use a seperate google account so you wouldn't associate your regular one with a potentially stolen device...)
or compare the info in Settings>About Phone. (just bangin' rocks together here...)
 
dorlev
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 33
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default well

Phone seems to be genuine, i ran some benchmarks and cheked and compared all setting.
Only problem is it's not registered at LG for some reason.

Anyways - i don't really care about OTA updates, but can LG brick my phone or block it??
 
wulsic
Old
#9  
wulsic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 722
Posts: 993
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nijmegen
@dorlev you maybe can try to flash stock kdz or tot, it may sounds weird but who knows. As far as i hear your story the device isnt registered in the LG database. So you could contact lg support maybe about that and or check also the link from preggy with your imei. Dont post your imei here btw
Devices History
Htc Elf-Htc Google Nexus One-LG Optimus 2X-Samsung Galaxy S2-LG Nexus4

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
"The greatest ideas are the simplest." William Golding
"Simplicity is the art of maximizing the amount of work not done." - Agile Manifesto
"Simplicity is the way a human/developer should think to easily solve problems." - Wulsic

My Work So far
 
ghost141
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 507
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jakarta
THis is general thread. Post it at Q/A.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Change the Style of Your Notifications with HeadsUp

Head Up notifications is one of these upcoming features that Android developers hid deep … more

Google Play Store to Show Price Ranges for In-App Purchases

Google recently announced a change to Google Play Store policy that requires … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Shut Up Your Phone – XDA Developer TV

So many different applications want to send us notifications that … more

Add Some Power to First Generation Snapdragon CPUs

Some older devices still remain very popular. Phones like theHTC Desire, Sony Ericsson … more